Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Headlamp or Flashlight

Seems like I have a lifetime supply of Mini Mag lights or those things reporduce like rabbits I'm not sure which. All of mine are converted to LED.

Don't have a headlamp yet, I do think that they are handy in a lot of situations just haven't done my homework yet on which one to buy (and I'm very frugal so still looking for the one that fits my needs and budget).

Quote Originally Posted by 91g-dub View Post
    Seems like I have a lifetime supply of Mini Mag lights or those things reporduce like rabbits I'm not sure which. All of mine are converted to LED.

Don't have a headlamp yet, I do think that they are handy in a lot of situations just haven't done my homework yet on which one to buy (and I'm very frugal so still looking for the one that fits my needs and budget).
    With so many mini mags, just wire two of em together with coat hanger and wear one just above each ear. You'll be the envy of the headlamp world.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I couldn't live without my headlamps. I wear a Princetontec Yukon, 365 nights a year as I make rounds through the kennel. Then when in the field they just cant be beat for hands free mobility- Cooking, chopping kindling, saddling a horse, changing a tire are all much easier with a headlamp.
    I do keep a giant mag light in my pick-up, but I rarely use it.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I too carry both, but if I could only pick one, a headlamp is probably more useful.

I use an LED headlamp that does red, blue, and 1 watt white, which runs off of a standard AA battery or rechargeable AA battery, which I can recharge with my solar bank in necessary.

I also carry an HDS EDC light, probably the greatest handheld flashlight ever made. It has presets you can assign all manner of different brightness levels, strobe, SOS, etc. Runs on a single CR123, regular or rechargeable.
    Last edited by sgtdraino; 01-10-2009 at 07:36 AM.
    "How do you know that my dimwitted inexperience isn't merely a subtle form of manipulation used to lower people's expectations thereby enhancing my ability to effectively maneuver within any given situation?" -Deputy Dewey Riley, Scream 2

My headlamp is priceless. I do a lot of night fishing for walleyes, also I use it when I'm camping or hunting. I carry several lights in my boat at night. But the headlamp is used more than any other. Very handy piece of equipment.

I've even used it to do work on my plumbing in my house before.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    With so many mini mags, just wire two of em together with coat hanger and wear one just above each ear. You'll be the envy of the headlamp world.
    If I do that I'll be the envy of the Geek world

I use a headlamp a lot. I bought it at Wallyworld for 8 bucks, I think. I also carry a mini mag in my cargo pocket and an extra in the backpack. Then again i also carry a candle or two for emergencies, and have worked out a pretty decent pine pitch torch. That has an added bonus of warding off mosquitos...
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

What headlamps would folks recommend?

Working in security and law enforcement all my life I've settled on a couple of flashlights - the Streamlight Scorpion for general use and the Pelican M6 for when I work at night (rarely anymore)

My Princeton Tec Fuel works very well. At the low setting it's rated at 160 hrs. The low setting is plenty of light for camp chores. I have a few others - My Streamlight headlamp does not get nearly the battery life as my others (about 1 hour on high, and 4 hours on low) but it is super bright. Petzl also makes good head lamps. Lots of other brands available too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am a "surefire" guy; http://www.surefire.com/G2-Led

A bit pricey, but is rugged, durable and I have used this style throughout the world for 15 plus years without any failures. Must admit though, have never used a headlamp type light
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

$69 for a flashlight? I feel faint. Heart palpitations even.

I carry a mini mag and a photon micro light on my key chain. I have a Petzl Tika Plus that I carry outdoors. Oh, yeah, yeah, it's the same one my wife retrieved out of my pack so she could walk the dog and hasn't put back yet. Yeah, that's the one.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i just bought my first cap led light it helps keep me hands free when carring water to the horse barn at night i like it
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Check out the Inova brand 24-7 light. It can be used as a flash light or as a head lamp. It has 7 modes of operation low white, high white, low red, high red, Flashing SOS, flashing orange/yellow, flashing multi color. It also comes with a slew of attachments. One is magnetic so you could use it around your car as a work light. A pretty cool piece of kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    $69 for a flashlight? I feel faint. Heart palpitations even.

I carry a mini mag and a photon micro light on my key chain. I have a Petzl Tika Plus that I carry outdoors. Oh, yeah, yeah, it's the same one my wife retrieved out of my pack so she could walk the dog and hasn't put back yet. Yeah, that's the one.
    I will share my meds with you . I guess it can be called expensive, but quality is as quality does. Besides the company pays, so quality all the way. And when I travel for them in hazard areas, I make sure they buy good stuff. I probably better not tell you how many I have
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Default headlamp

Without a doubt, if I could only have one, it would be a headlamp. This is the one I have been the happiest with. http://www.rei.com/product/749039 It is so much handier in outdoor situations due to the hands-free aspect. this particular one is more useable due to the easy tightening strap. the swivel mount, and the clip that's built in than any lamp I have ever had. pics of mine below.

It's not as bright as many, but I think it makes up for it with it's lightness and flexibility.

next thing in page is a surefire 6P. It was a gift from a friend on his way out of the USMC. I would have never bought it, but now that I have it, I would replace it if lost/stolen.

http://www.surefire.com/6P-Original

Apparently these are standard issue to jarheads headed to the middle east and the one he gave me came with rail mounts the fit my FN-FAL...

And, over the years I have acquired quite a collection of mag-lights in various sizes, the Mini's are very handy and I have one in each car BOB and in the office too. Hint... Black is the worst color for a flashlight you are trying to find in the dark...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Evil triumphs when good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

Sarge - Move to Survival Kits & Survival Products
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I use headlamps in the field, I do have a few flashlights for the house including a large maglite I keep next to the bed.

I usually carry both, but if I had to choose between the two I'd go with the head lamp cause it's nice to have full usage of both hands.

Just like you said, depends on the situation. I prefer a flashlight, because it's more flexible in use. But a headlight can be very convenient when you have your hands full of course
    For lots of wilderness survival, visit www.surviveinnature.com!

Quote Originally Posted by TDG View Post
    I prefer a flashlight, because it's more flexible in use.
    Could you explain that please.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel