Thread: BOB - What's Inside

Default BOB - What's Inside

I did a "quick" search of what people have in their BOB that included pics but didn't find anything. I realize it is ever changing and bags are designed for different things.... mine is set up to get me to my cabin 100 miles from my house where my family can sustain.

Mine is set up to accommodate my family in the event we need to leave the house quickly. Some people think creating this type of bag is crazy but if you were on I-59 getting out of Houston during Hurricane Rita you would agree why having something like this is important. Feel free to add suggestions, ideas etc. And as always pics are welcome!

These are the items in mine:
    1. (4) emergency food rations - 2,400 calories each
    2. 150 yards of 30 pound braided fishing line (Power Pro)
    3. Prescription bottle with hooks, lure and weights and a box of extra triple hooks
    4. First aid kid (I would like to upgrade this to a "Dark Angel" medical kit)
    5. Compass
    6. Spoon, fork, knife
    7. Mirror
    8. Note pad and pen
    9. Latex gloves
    10. Breathing masks
    11. Duct tape
    12. Bio hazard garbage bag
    13. A lot of folded tin foil (it is under the garbage bag in the pic)
    14. Bungy cords, zip ties and 100ft. of para-cord (I would like to get the para-cord in camo)
    15. Fire starting kit with lighter and magnesium fire stick (kit = cotton balls and bottle of oil)
    16. Water purifying tablets
    17. Glow sticks (because I like to party...... just kidding)
    18. 2 Magpul .223 mags (30 rounds each)
    19. Pocket shovel and hatchet
    20. 2 .40cal Glock mags (15 rounds each)
    21. Glock .22 .40cal
    22. 2 knives (just ordered the Benchmade Nimravus which will be added to the bag)
    23. Camp light (I also have a green kill light on my AR-15 and another LA-LED light that I would carry). Not shown is the green pen laser.
    24. Survival blankets and ponchos
    25. Wet wipes
    26. Stag w/ green kill light, 2 point sling, micro red dot and 2 double attached mags
    27. 5.11 Tactical "Rush MOAB 10" bag

Keep in mind, this bag is designed to get me Attachment 9261out of Houston to a safe location. I also have two cases of water and an extra large gas tank I would throw in the truck (where I have more survival items).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (45.9 KB, 66 views)
    Last edited by SLVRBK; 06-19-2013 at 01:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Blog Entries
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome.

So how much does it weigh?
    How are you gonna carry it?
    Have you carried it?....How far?
    Don't see any "carry water", or container, or something to boil it in, filter.....Just tabs?

Just a couple of comments.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I don't see a map either. 100 miles is a good distance to dead reckon even when things look "normal". You'll need cash in small bills and any Rx meds too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good thoughts! Here are some answers:

1. It's around 20 - 25 pounds give or take
    2. It has the ambidextrous strap but the thought was to just throw it in my truck and bolt. I also intend to load up my mountain bike in the truck in the event the roads are insane. Carrying it shouldn't be an issue.
    3. Water would be loaded in my truck along with additional gas. However, the route I would take has water (lakes, rivers and ponds) nearly the entire way to my cabin. I've thought about adding a camelback type system.
    4. I've been meaning to add a map but am pretty fluent with multiple routes to the cabin.
    5. I've got a small stash of cash for just the occasion.

Any other ideas and suggestions are welcome too. Cheers from hotter than hell Texas......

We all know multiple ways to where ever it is we're going. The problem is when none of those ways look familiar. A topo map can help move you forward even when your vehicle can't move. Hopefully, you'll never be faced with the scene below.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't go anywhere with out water, or a bottle or pot to boil it.
    Tabs are good but still need to have something to put it in.....just carrying it in a vehicle isn't gonna cut it if you have to bail out.
    Might want to consider a filter straw, been adding them in my packs for a while now.

http://www.safezonellc.com/frontierstraw.html

BTW that's Ricks site.
    I confess I have carried plastic water bottles mostly as of late, but the web belt on the pack has a GI canteen/cup/stove inside the cover....still the best compact unit I have ever seen or used.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Might want to consider a filter straw, been adding them in my packs for a while now.

http://www.safezonellc.com/frontierstraw.html

BTW that's Ricks site.
    I confess I have carried plastic water bottles mostly as of late, but the web belt on the pack has a GI canteen/cup/stove inside the cover....still the best compact unit I have ever seen or used.
    +1 on the filter straw and and link: good place for supplies. I like the fold-able water containers you can get there also.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I don't see your important papers on that list...
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Quote Originally Posted by SLVRBK View Post
    I did a "quick" search of what people have in their BOB that included pics but didn't find anything. I realize it is ever changing and bags are designed for different things.... mine is set up to get me to my cabin 100 miles from my house where my family can sustain.

Mine is set up to accommodate my family in the event we need to leave the house quickly. Some people think creating this type of bag is crazy but if you were on I-59 getting out of Houston during Hurricane Rita you would agree why having something like this is important. Feel free to add suggestions, ideas etc. And as always pics are welcome!

These are the items in mine:
    1. (4) emergency food rations - 2,400 calories each
    2. 150 yards of 30 pound braided fishing line (Power Pro)
    3. Prescription bottle with hooks, lure and weights and a box of extra triple hooks
    4. First aid kid (I would like to upgrade this to a "Dark Angel" medical kit)
    5. Compass
    6. Spoon, fork, knife
    7. Mirror
    8. Note pad and pen
    9. Latex gloves
    10. Breathing masks
    11. Duct tape
    12. Bio hazard garbage bag
    13. A lot of folded tin foil (it is under the garbage bag in the pic)
    14. Bungy cords, zip ties and 100ft. of para-cord (I would like to get the para-cord in camo)
    15. Fire starting kit with lighter and magnesium fire stick (kit = cotton balls and bottle of oil)
    16. Water purifying tablets
    17. Glow sticks (because I like to party...... just kidding)
    18. 2 Magpul .223 mags (30 rounds each)
    19. Pocket shovel and hatchet
    20. 2 .40cal Glock mags (15 rounds each)
    21. Glock .22 .40cal
    22. 2 knives (just ordered the Benchmade Nimravus which will be added to the bag)
    23. Camp light (I also have a green kill light on my AR-15 and another LA-LED light that I would carry). Not shown is the green pen laser.
    24. Survival blankets and ponchos
    25. Wet wipes
    26. Stag w/ green kill light, 2 point sling, micro red dot and 2 double attached mags
    27. 5.11 Tactical "Rush MOAB 10" bag

Keep in mind, this bag is designed to get me Attachment 9261out of Houston to a safe location. I also have two cases of water and an extra large gas tank I would throw in the truck (where I have more survival items).

I see you said this is set up for you and your family, How many days is this bag set up for ? 4 food rations isnt a lot even at 2400 cals. Things to consider for addition to your kit, A tarp , Water, more rations, important papers and copies of documents.
    I set up a BOB for my son who is 7, he carries food rations, fire starter kit, multi tool, space blanket, water, a compass. and other misc items his kit weighs about 12 pounds with water. something to consider for the wife and kiddos.
    Now for the big question, I see people talk about bug outs due to hurricanes, isn't there a lengthy warning that one is approaching? It isn't like a tornado that just hits with little warning. Wouldn't the smart and easy thing to do is load up and get out of dodge well before it becomes a nightmare ?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

You are correct, the bag is to only get me to my cabin which is approximately 100 miles from my house so it is designed to only cover a day or two. You are also correct about the hurricanes, I would opt to hunker down at the house until we lost power or water then make the move to the cabin. With that being said the truck would be loaded with extra gear; however, if the roads were anything like I-59 after Katrina or Rita with abandoned vehicles, burning vehicles, gas station lines a mile long etc. etc. and we needed to ditch the truck that is where this bag would come in. I may get another smaller bag for the kiddos so they can pull some weight too. Good idea by the way....
    "Despite what your momma told you violence does solve problems"....... SO2 Ryan Job USN (SEAL)

The smaller bag for the kids is an excellent idea. It let's them feel they are helping the family. Even if you put their favorite blanket or toys in they will feel like they are helping out.

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The smaller bag for the kids is an excellent idea. It let's them feel they are helping the family. Even if you put their favorite blanket or toys in they will feel like they are helping out.
    Rick packs his Teddy bear.....and his hong!....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Actually, I make the wife tote my bear.

Get a good canteen with the canteen pot and canvas carrying cover. If you have to leave the truck, you will need the water and you will also have pot to boil water in and cook in as well!