Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet Clothes/Hypothermia Situation

Quote Originally Posted by Aklogcabin View Post
    Been trying to post so this is a test. Hello b t w
    Good to see ya posting.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Most times I write something it says it cannot find server

Looks like you found it. Sometimes, if you are writing a longer post or just take a long time to write it the server will time out. I can't remember how long that is --- maybe 10 minutes. There are a couple of tricks I use for longer posts. One is to type it in a Word (or other word processing) document and then copy and paste it to the forum. Another is if I am getting long winded to hit the "Go Advanced" button just below the Quick Reply screen. From there you can view your post which sort of refreshes the screen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I’ll try . Keep your clothes on. Well I do anyhow. Getting lost and wet is not uncommon for me.

Write one sentence at a time. I can work around anything. Lots of cold , ice snow here. Just right.

Yes a fire helps. Best thing he can do is start walking jack. You’ll get somewhere. Don’t break into someone’s cabin. You will get hurt.

This kind of stuff happens to me a lot. You get used to it. Just don’t panic.

When folks are worried about shelter I find the biggest spruce tree I can and crawl under it. Heck if I was concerned I’d light thr tree on fire.

Can’t do fire , start walking. Can’t walk, better get your head straight.

BTW flying out to our cabin or just a gravel bar on a river watching the plane leave. No more connection to people. Is the greatest feeling in the world.

Well one of the greatest. My squeeze is the best feeling ! This guy should just go out n get wet. Tis the season. Go stick your hands in the nearest creek. Or better yet fall through the ice. Sting city.

I like to carry a sleeping bag with survival gear in it. If you’re going down in a wet grab the bag n go. Get undressed then and climb in. Then try starting fire. I’m picking up some small road flares for emergency.

I got new lenses put in my eyes recently n can’t do much. Hanging with my 4 year old grandson. He has a 120 cc snogo. Arctic cat youth.

Merry Christmas all . Remember take one make one ! Stay safe

Am I the only one curious if he finished the book? What is the name of the book? DO we get a complementary copy? is anyone in the book credits at the end?

Seriously though, I have done a lot of writing in my life, probably inspired by my ivy league father with a Doctorate in English Literature. I would have to agree with one of the members that said that you should experience the situation that you are putting your character into.
    [ You can read all you want about driving a stick shift, watch every video on it, but when you go to try it yourself you are going to grind those gears. ]

Experiencing what your character will be enduring will give you more insight of the situation and your writing would show that.

Regarding if it makes a difference that he is wearing wool. Wool actually does pretty well retaining heat even when wet. In fact, one survival technique is dipping the outermost part of your wool gloves in water (when outside temp is freezing) to create a wind barrier from the ice that forms on the gloves. Wool also is naturally a moisture wicking material.

A heads up on hypothermia, you will lose cognitive ability, dexterity in your hands and fingers, slurred speech, your body will start shivering then start going into convulsions, as your core temperature goes down. Simple tasks such as grabbing something or trying to open a box of matches or lighting a Bic lighter with your bear hands will be extremely difficult. If you survive hypothermia your next danger to deal with is severe frostbite. Regardless of how bad your character gets, he will most likely have frostnip if not superficial frostbite, which can be seen with minor skin discolor .

A down plane btw is a dream come true for a survival situation. The electrical wires can be used as bindings, the seat belts for a ratcheting binding, the plane seats can be taken out and used as a seat, or bedding. The foam inside the seats as insulation or fire tinder, the undamaged sections of place as shelter. Liquor bottles for disinfecting or pain killer, food trays and pots for melting snow for drinkable water, spent fuel to start fires, the storage compartments for luggage the doors themselves can be taken off and used as a sled to haul gear with addition of the electrical wiring. Even the capacitors in the cockpits can be used to start a spark for fire. One could go on for pages and pages of other items that could be used or dismantled and repurposed for some sort of tool or gear or what have you.