Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm still here

Best of luck with it, nell67! With luck it won't spread through the whole family and symptoms will be mild. Younger kids seem to not get hit as hard (as a rule) so hopefully that's the case for your family!

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    For people with autoimmune disease, it is inciting an immune response as it should, that's our body's normal reaction, but for the autoimmune folks, the immune system isn't attacking the virus as it should, it is basically ignoring the virus and continuing it's attack on itself only on a much larger scale than it usually does, the health department liaison I have at the clinic says it's like a hit and run, only it hits, then sits back and watches the body fight itself when it should be fighting the virus. The whole time it sits there though, the greater immune response the body has. The body is just fighting the wrong battle
    Well, my immune system is over the top. I never get sick, never got the flu, cuts/scrapes heal fast, etc, etc, etc... I had one day of fever (100.1 or so), half a day of shortness of breath, and lost my sense of smell for a month... That's it.

But, since then, I have noticed that cuts/scrapes take longer to heal AND three times since March 20, I have had to get antibiotics to clear up infections that occurred in two very minor cuts and one infection of my big toe. The one on the toe wasn't even a cut. It was from washing my toes with a fingernail brush. The toe swelled up in a day to where I could not wear a shoe. Doc took it down to the raw part, cauterized it and gave me 14 days of antibiotics for that one. It has taken about a month and a half to get to almost completely healed up.

There are definitely some things about this virus that we are going to be living with (possibly dying from) for a long time.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Best of luck with it, nell67! With luck it won't spread through the whole family and symptoms will be mild. Younger kids seem to not get hit as hard (as a rule) so hopefully that's the case for your family!
    I don't have it, and I haven't that I know of, I test folks for COVID, so I'm pretty close to it each day I work, although I'd almost swear that this thing was here last fall and I had it. I got sick around Thanksgiving, my daughter and I both did, thought it was allergies, and the meds for that worked. Daughter got better after two weeks, but I just kept getting worse, two days before Christmas I went to urgent care. no labs, no x-rays, told me I had pneumonia in my right lung. 4 meds and sent home and about a month later I was starting to feel better, although I do get breathless still walking though the parking lot if I have to go to the grocery. I had to have another x-ray when I started this job because I am a reactor for TB (not an active case of TB, but was exposed to it during my clinicals for Lab tech, there was an outbreak in the town I was going to school in, and my lab partner lived right next to the day care that the outbreak occurred in) and they found scarring in one lung they called Atelectasis. I'd get tested for antibodies if I didn't have to go to Louisville to sell plasma, I hear folks are making bank on that.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

prayers that you heal completely from your ordeal. Your continuing issues are some that I haven't heard of, but it doesn't surprise me, it is so random in the active symptoms rom person to person, if they have any at all, and the lasting effects are also something being studied extensively because those also vary from person to person.

I swear it have been designed to react differently to each persons DNA, that say your dna unlocks some part of the virus that will cause you to react differently than what your neighbors dna would cause. I certainly hope these vaccines work, and not become a recurring vaccine that we need each year like the flu, but it is evolving at a rapid rate so who know what next year will hold for us.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

How are you people? We are still vaccinating the elder in our third wave, and it's our second lockdown that does not really work because the young is doing parties and stuff despite the restrictions. People stopped social distancing and some of them don't even bother to wear the mask. If you are big or scary, police won't fine you, they only fine small women and elders...
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Wow! Hungary looks like the U.S.

We're sticking the old folks here and I've got a link to set up an appointment. No hurry - I won't catch Covid but there might be a chance that one might hitch a ride in me and live long enough to infect somebody else, and we need to get this thing under control.

Lex Luther, uh, I mean Alexander Putin just hit Biden with the elephant in the living room. I gotta say I dispose Putin but that was entertaining.

Eh...things here are pretty much coochie coochie (nods to Charo). I'm just waiting for Gudot, or the apocalypse - whatever comes first. I'm on a tier three street that they never plow. I built mountains of snow from the walkways and drive way and they remind me of...something...maybe mashed potatoes.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.