Thread: Anyone heard of "Just Right Carbines"

Tool & Die Maker

Default Anyone heard of "Just Right Carbines"

In my search for an AR-45 I came across a company called Just right Carbines. They are located in Canandaigua,
    New York and specialize in building rifles that fire handgun rounds. Claim to be USA made guns

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/products/

The Just Right 45 ACP carbine uses Glock magazines which I find attractive and the price runs between $710 and $800.
    Seen one price at $708

#JRC45G3TBKH
    UPC #723175703810

Anyone heard of this gun company or have opinions? I would still rather have the AR45 that PSA sells.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Never heard of them.

When you get up to that $800 level you are closing in on the price of a Thompson for just a little bit more.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They appeared as the NRA gun of week a few years back. I did some searching and found a YouTube for you.

and a very nice write up.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ew-jr-carbine/

Tool & Die Maker

Rick: Thanks, that was a great write up. He complained the JR didn't have the "last shot bolt open feature" but my PSA AR9 doesn't either. He also complained about the Philips head screws. Know doubt the pins the AR uses are great because no tools are required for disassembly but those pins come with a higher cost when you figure in the detent and spring to prevent the pins from falling out and getting lost. Biggest problem with screws is getting lost in the field but on the up side everyone has a Philips screw driver and replacement screws are available at most hardware stores. I remove 2 screws to clean my Marlin M60. I would never do it in the field. As far as stripping out the screws that is a result of over tightening the screws not wear and tare. Using allen wrenches would result in over tightening and stripping, seen it hundreds of times at work. Then there is the issue of loosing the allen wrench, did that hundreds of times as well. Allen screws (called socket head cap screws) are made of harder steel though. Guns often use screws with 40 threads per inch (extra fine thread) and they are not always readily available.

I'm still partial to the PSA, AR45. Near as I can tell the AR45 sells for around $729. A toss up between the JR and the AR45. I would still like to look at a "Just Right Carbine". No hurry on this either.

As for the "Thompson", my wife nearly fainted the first time she saw my AR-15. Hate to think what she would do seeing a Thompson machine gun in my shop. One advantage of consistently having AR type guns, as long as she only sees one gun at a time she must ask herself "am I seeing 4 different guns or the same gun 4 different times"?
    Last edited by jim Glass; 07-15-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

Looked at a "Just Right Carbine" a few minutes ago. Look and feel like a real nice rifle. I was surprised to see the rifle is convertible for right hand or left hand shooters. The charge handle can be set up on either side of the receiver and so can the ejection port. I did not see any Philips head screws only flat head socket head screws. I did not see how the rifle could be dismantled for cleaning.

Not only can these rifles be right or left hand but they offer a kit for changing calibers. The barrels still need to be change for sure.
    The Just Right Carbine company is offering a $50 off until the end of August. If PSA doesn't come out with a AR45 by then I may buy the Just Right Carbine.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Last edited by jim Glass; 07-16-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Jim, I would pick up the phone and call PSA directly and ask to speak to someone in marketing, not just the sales guys on the phone.

Ask the it they are going to pick up production any time soon or if you should buy from elsewhere?

They might suddenly find a kit lying on a dusty shelf or remember a trade in or send back they have been sitting on. Often the inventory people will list a gun as "out of stock" when there is only one left or they forgot to show a return in the closeout section.

I got a real nice air rifle at 50% off by asking that a few months ago. They had a one and only open box send back. I just provided someone with another of the same myself. I had an order filled in the wrong caliber ad I turned it around immediately. Well almost immediately. There will be a thread about that latter when I get the proper rifle back.

Tool & Die Maker

Ratshooter: I called 3 PSA gun stores and they say the company does not release any production information. They had know idea when a AR45 would be available. I also called PSA and did not find a way to talk to anyone about production schedules. I sent them an email and they sent a canned reply: We do not publisize production forecasts, the best thing I can do is watch their web site daily. So I have the AR45 web page saved to favorites so I can check for availability with a single key stroke. The more time goes by the more I like the "Just Right Carbine". If enough time goes by I may loose interest altogether in an AR45

I watched a video on how to clean the Just Right Carbine. One screw needs to be removed on the charge handle and remove a castle nut to remove the buffer tube and the bolt comes right out for cleaning. The Just Right Carbine had a better finish than the AR9 I got from PSA. For a little more money I can get a camouflaged finish something PSA doesn't offer on the AR45.

Beretta makes a nice carbine in .45.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    Beretta makes a nice carbine in .45.
    I think that the 45 version has been discontinued. They still make them chambered in 9mm and 40sw. I have their 9mm carbine (CX4 Storm) and it is probably one of the more fun guns I have to shoot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Jim, I would say that if PSA s not being cooperative go with the Just Right if you feel good about it.

After all, the PSA AR45 is not a "standardized" firearm and only a few parts will interchange with a standard AR anyway.

I would look the Just Right Carbine over real well when it arrived and order a few key parts as replacements if anything looks sketchy. These small, and sometimes big, firearms production companies come and go with the tides and spare parts become immediately unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I think that the 45 version has been discontinued. They still make them chambered in 9mm and 40sw. I have their 9mm carbine (CX4 Storm) and it is probably one of the more fun guns I have to shoot.
    Beretta still shows it on their website.
    That JRC looks nice. It addressed some of the short comings of the Beretta. The ability to use AR accessories being the main one in my opinion. The main reason I went with the Beretta was I already had a couple of 92s and bunches of hi-cap mags that I could use in the carbine. I think JRC is smart to offer the ability to use very popular mags. If their quality is good and they keep price point low they should be very successful. If I didn't already have the Berettas I would probably be looking at a JRC. I would sure like to shoot one in 10mm., because like Crash said theys fun to shoot.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Tool & Die Maker

I ordered the Just Right Carbine in 45 ACP a couple of days ago. Two years ago they changed from 7 1/2" long hand guard to a 13" so I'm having a carbine special built with the 7 1/2" hand guard, I wanted it that way mostly for appearance but plan to mount an
    A-2 sight on the barrel. I found a couple of Just Right Carbines in area gun shops, one was a 45 ACP with the 7 1/2" hand guard. The Just Right Carbines have a slightly better finish than most other AR type rifles making the JR just plain more attractive.

It seems small gun builders are springing up that build rifles that use hand gun ammo. I came across a nice rifle at Cabela's made my a company called TNW made out in Oregon: http://www.tnwfirearms.com/category-s/1817.htm But it was considered a survival rifle and appeared light duty and didn't have much of a hand guard, no place to mount sights and stuff. It is available as a kit with an 80% lower receiver which was attractive. Their web site and a number of discontinued models which made me wonder about the longevity of the company itself. Found another similar rifle made in Wisconsin but the charge handle was not left hand right hand interchangeable and not much of a hand guard.

I did find a private party in Florida that said they could build an AR-15 in 45 ACP for about the same price as the "Just Right Carbine".
    I called them and left a message but the private party never called back.

I went with the JR for the following reasons. At first I felt like an AR-15 was the perfect rifle but I began to think about a few short comings of the AR-15 and compare it to the JR. First, the charge handle. The JR is shipped with the charge handle on the left side so if you hold the rifle by the pistol grip in your right hand, the left hand is free to actuate the charge hand. On the JR the magazine release is on the left side, but again, my left hand is free to release the magazine. Finally, the charge handle also holds the breach open again actuated by my left hand. The SAFETY is exactly like the AR-15. Really the AR-15 is rather cumbersome in comparison.
    It takes both hands to hold the breach open, the rifle must be held with the left hand so the right hand can release the magazine and if the AR-15 is equipped with a scope the charge handle is not always 100% accessible. I'm often using the AR-15 in total darkness so these things mater.

The JR will not be as convenient when cleaning but we shall see.

I put ambidextrous safety and extended charging handle on my AR rifles and the mag release is perfect for release with my index finger on the right hand. I never had any problem dropping mags. I am usually wearing gloves while shooting my AR units just due to heat, so the wide charging handle is real handy and they only cost $10.

The bolt hold open can be a pain, but if you are needing to lock the bolt open you are going to need to swap hands and monkey with other stuff anyway. You probably have a double feed, or a stuck case and you will have to drop the mag and twirl that thing like a University of Texas baton majorette. Fact is you might just need a cleaning rod and wooden mallet about then.

I have always thought the great shortcoming of the AR was the charging handle. It should be on the left side like the HK.

The final charging handle was a really good move from the original since it was mounted inside the carrying handle.

BTW, the AR has been used by several million people in total darkness and stressful circumstances for nearly 50 years, so you are not alone in that concern. Come to think about it, I was required at one time to disassemble/reassemble an M1 Garand while wearing a blindfold as a timed and graded exercise. I think I remember there was someone yelling at me that whole time too.

But the great competition of the AR has always been the AK, and it gives no heed to ergonomics at all. Charging handle on the right side, safety requiring removal of the hand from the PG for manipulation, mag release inaccessible unless you turn lose of something, heavier than crap.

Still, 100 million and still counting have been built.

Do any of the JR parts except the stock interchange with the AR?

Tool & Die Maker

I'm quite sure the stock is interchangeable with the AR. The safety, trigger, hammer parts, pistol grip and hand guard are the same.
    All JR did was make their own receiver and bolt. Trying to decide what to do about gun sights. I think I'll start out with one of the red dot sights I have on hand. Looking at fiber optic sights. The JR will probably be a day time wild hog gun

Unless you have a very good quality dot sight with the green color option the dot will probably wash out in the Florida sunlight during daytime shooting.

Same for fiber optics. During the day they are just sights and their light gathering capacity is reduced.

I am at the point that my preferred optics for the AR in general purpose use is a 1.5-4 or a 1.5-6. If you keep it turned down to the low power you can use it like a "dot sight", both eyes open and point shooting, and if you need the magnification you can dial it up.

Tool & Die Maker

The "Just Right Carbine" finally arrived at the gun shop after a 3 week wait. It was a special build because I wanted the 7 1/2" hand guard instead of the standard 13". The barrel is threaded .578"- 28 and came with a threaded cap on the threads. During the 3 week wait I machined up my own flash hider and cut the .578 - 28 thread on my lathe. It fit the barrel thread perfectly.

I spent several hours researching Glock magazines. I bought a second magazine while at the gun shop, a g-30, so I had information on the package, all the JR Carbine owners manual said the rifle uses a 13 shot Glock magazine . Finally found a page on the internet that explaned Glock magazine sizes. The JR accepts a G-30 (10 shot) or G-21 (13 shot). So to buy a 25 or 30 round after market magazine
    it needs to mention G-30 or G-21 to be the right size.

Here is a link to that Glock information: http://glockyourself.com/glock-comparison-chart/

Taking the JR to the stone quarry for a test run this weekend. I'll report back
    Last edited by jim Glass; 08-17-2018 at 04:10 AM.

OK Jim is there a report yet.

If not I am going to start talking about air guns or AKs or something.