Thread: BC Bushcraft & Tree's

Question BC Bushcraft & Tree's

Greetings from Canadaland.

Does anybody have some good advice on locating essential tree's in my location? I have been having issues locating willow and oak. I am figuring it is due to the shear volume of pine and fir in the area but I feel I maybe am missing an important detail in locating them.

I live in the Cariboo region of the interior of BC, and generally bushcraft at mid elevation.

Glad to have found this community

A quick search of the net would indicate you have neither in the interior. Looked at a couple of books for BC and they are not listed except for the Garry Oak in the extreme southern tip of the province.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A quick search of the net would indicate you have neither in the interior. Looked at a couple of books for BC and they are not listed except for the Garry Oak in the extreme southern tip of the province.
    I had searched a bit and figured since I am relatively south that there may be some here, just high hopes I suppose. Thank you for answering for me! Which books do you use for tree's if I may ask?

Hunter63 saying hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin.

Most likely ask around locally?....

I have used this one since I was a young man....Have several Golden books designed for kids...
    Birds, Mushrooms...

Golden Book....Trees of North America: A Field Guide to the Major Native and Introduced

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/trees-...sbn=0307136582
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Check with your local Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations. I'm sure they could help you. Here is the web site for their regional offices.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/offices.html

At least in the States they are an excellent resource.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Why are these trees essential?

If they are not native to your area, yet people live there now and in the past, they must not be all that essential.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thanks for the advice Rick, I will check with them, I hadn't even thought of trying before.

Kyratshooter, I suppose I used the wrong word.. 'Ideal' may have been more suited for topic. I've been learning about the many uses of different tree's and strongly hoped I might have willow in my area.

Thanks everybody for your advice

Willow usually grows near Water... so try looking near rivers?
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

In most bushcraft videos and articles, they say to use birch bark for starting fires...none in my area. We have tons of live oak though. There is lots of juniper here as well. If it is not in your area, then use what is. Isn't that the point anyways?
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    In most bushcraft videos and articles, they say to use birch bark for starting fires...none in my area. We have tons of live oak though. There is lots of juniper here as well. If it is not in your area, then use what is. Isn't that the point anyways?
    Yes......Good point
    If you have to carry it with you, that's camping...Wilderness Survival is what you do when you loose your stuff and HAVE to find something to do what you want.

However.....if you want to do projects, crafts or just try a suggestion that required a certain kinds of materials....then you spending time looking, locating and gathering your materials even if it means you have to purchase and have it shipped.

People all over the world had the same problem form the start...... so trading and commerce played a big part in much of the exploration...... and the rise and fall of civilizations
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

What do you want to use the willow and oak for?
    I am certain there are other things available that you could use
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Try the Willow River for the willow. I only know what the habitate map I saw indicated. Which is that there are no oaks anywhere near you or south of you in the U.S. Sometimes, trees grow farther north than they normally do. One time a friend showed me a leaf from a tree he had found in the property he was care taking. He asked me if I knew what it was. I told him I had never seen a leaf anything like that before. As it turned out, an old farmer from Ohio told us it was a sycamore tree. Probably every kid from Ohio would know what it was, but we didn't. Shows how ignorant you can be when you get out of the area you know so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    What do you want to use the willow and oak for?
    I am certain there are other things available that you could use
    Willow I wanted for various purposes including seeing how it compares to the abundant local evergreen tree's as a bow drill material. The oak, well.... Who doesnt want some good oak wood

Quote Originally Posted by edr730 View Post
    Try the Willow River for the willow. I only know what the habitate map I saw indicated. Which is that there are no oaks anywhere near you or south of you in the U.S. Sometimes, trees grow farther north than they normally do. One time a friend showed me a leaf from a tree he had found in the property he was care taking. He asked me if I knew what it was. I told him I had never seen a leaf anything like that before. As it turned out, an old farmer from Ohio told us it was a sycamore tree. Probably every kid from Ohio would know what it was, but we didn't. Shows how ignorant you can be when you get out of the area you know so well.
    I may check willow river out some time, that is roughly a 3 1/2 hour drive from which is not too far. Thanks for the suggestion!