Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Buddies that drink

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Are you talking about "impaired computer shopping at all hours with a credit card?"
    I resemble that remark!

More than once the brown truck has left an unexpected present. I scratch my head and wonder "when did I order that?" Go to the mailbox and wonder if I really ordered a pink pistol grip for an AR or if someone is just messin' with me.

I just now made myself leave the Optics Planet website due to being sober. I spent more than I should have last month and I am making myself be good this month.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

Thought I would post a follow up on this topic. This drinking hunt buddy name is Ken. Ken tried to call me a number of times in the fall of 2017, I'm sure it was about hog hunting. I new it was him and wasn't man enough to answer the phone. I didn't know how to tell him his hunting days with me were over. He called me countless times. He did not have texting but his wife did so I sent her a text that read, "Tell Ken I decided to hunt alone, he can look into hunting public property in the area". She replied by text,
    "I'll tell him". Well, Ken continued to call me. Ken spends the winter at another RV resort about 5 miles away. One day I looked out my RV windows and Ken was walking up to the door, he found me and he is with his wife. I'm thinking, oh crap.

Long story short Ken says he knows why I decided to hunt alone. So I said, "okay, why". So he told me about the night he was so drunk, remembered it quite well actually. He went on to say, "Jim, I'm an alcoholic, I went for 20 years without drinking and fell off the wagon last winter in Florida, I thought I could have one drink and couldn't stop. I checked myself into alcohol rehab when we got back home (Michigan) and now I attend A.A. meetings weekly. It is my problem and my fault. I would really appreciate another chance hog hunting with you again, I mean really appreciate it. If I ever go back to drinking again I'll loose everything I have"

My reply, "I think for a moment and respond, Ok, you have done rehab and a member of A.A. so you have addressed your problem so you can hunt. As long as there is not a repeat of last year you can hunt. In fact, I'm going out tonight if you care to join me, so we hunted that night." We had a great time hunting last February and Ken killed 3 hogs, he killed 0 last year.

There was a time I called Ken for an invite to hunt and his wife answered his phone and gave me a sincere thanks for giving Ken another chance. I can't imagine what that woman went through last winter. But, I think Ken will be okay..
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-08-2018 at 08:50 PM.

Good for him. And good for you. It's hard for alcoholics to man up and salvage their lives. And it's hard to forgive. I hope he makes it.

A story with a happy ending. I like those.

It's hard for anyone with an addiction to man up and try to do something about it. There's some pain that the addiction soothes, so unless you heal the pain, the addiction stays, or gets switched to something else.

Best wishes an blessings on Ken to win his battle.
    "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." Capt. James T. Kirk

Good for you for giving the man another chance. Sometimes, that's all we need regardless of what the problem is.

Good story. Great outcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That's awesome!