Thread: Containers to make charcoal in-Need ideas

Default Containers to make charcoal in-Need ideas

My preferred method for making charcoal is to use 5 gallon paint pails with the lids. I put the wood in them and lower them into my 55 gallon burn barrel. Problem is that those steel pails are getting mighty rare. Does anyone know what industries or business still use them (instead of the plastic pails)? Or, do you have any ideas for another kind of container? I don't what to do the whole thing of creating a charcoal retort like the fancy youtube guy make. I'm not the handy and don't have the time or ambition. I just want some steel 5 gallon buckets with lids.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Your googoefoo is weak Grasshopper.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-1-Ga...Bucket/3172549
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

But master, I must not have been clear in my request. I asked "Does anyone know what industries or business still use them", meaning that I want to find them in used condition and thus, free. I also specified a size of 5 gallon like the house painters used to get their paint in. As a last resort your suggestion will be considered and so I will be thankful for your idea.

Home Depot has the five gallon. Lid is extra but they aren't cheap.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vestil-5-...L-RI/205526535

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You did not say you wanted stuff given to you!

That changes the entire concept.

I would visit one of the commercial roofing companies in your area. They get roofing tar/poly products in 5 gallon cans with snap off lids.

I have two of them out back I obtained filled with roofing material last year at Home Depot. They are waiting to be turned into tent stoves.

Driveway paving companies also get asphalt sealer in 5 gallon metal cans.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Okay dokey, I'll look into that.

MF use to give the dump guy a 1/2 gal bottle of California Port wine to save and burn out the 5 gal metal buckets...for deer hunting seats that could be left at his hunting spots....

Couple of problems with that, these day....I would think...

1) As you say more plastic less steel buckets available.
    2) Not many "city dumps" ...or at least places that are not divided into 14 re-cyclizing categories
    3) Not may city wino dump guys anymore......
    4) They wouldn't let you "burn out the tar stuff" anyway....if there were wino dump guys left.....black smoke get a bad name......

I feel your pain.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

We buy industrial glues in barrels. But we pay a core charge on the barrel so most of them are not free.
    The solvent barrels on the other hand, we can buy from the boss for a nominal charge.
    Check into paint shops, mechanic shops, woodworking shops and the like.
    You will not likely find them for free any more. It's all about recycling these days and at the very least you are going to pay the steel scrap price.

Or, if time and opportunity permits, get thee to a welding class and make your own "barrel" out of scrap sheet metal.
    What you pay for the class may eventually cover what you'd pay in barrels.
    Or invest in a good riveting tool. You can make a charcoaler pretty air tight with a folded, rivetted seam or 6.
    Have a look at this unit at the Lost Gardens of Heligan, and do a web search for how it is really built. Here's a start:
    The seams on this one are welded.

In the wide shots, pause to see the air extension tubes around the outside perimeter that feed the fire and can be plugged
    How the dirt is heaped around the outside to seal the ground perimeter.
    At the very beginning, how the lid insets into the inner perimeter (what isn't clearly shown is to make it airtight, they shovel dirt and ash on top of it to weight it down and seal it.)

Here's a start on diagrams:
    http://www.fastonline.org/CD3WD_40/J...ALL/20-468.pdf

And how to fire it:
    http://www.pssurvival.com/ps/charcoa..._Kiln_1980.pdf
    Last edited by LowKey; 08-26-2016 at 08:37 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant