Thread: Propane OPD questions.

Default Propane OPD questions.

I am still able to get an old one refilled - I drive out to farm country find a gas station run by a family of Sikh's and they don't care about OPD. But my time is running out as I use this single tank to refill multiple smaller portable tanks and to prevent them from leaking I have the hard to find brass caps from Cabellas. Part of the problem is when refilling other propane devices you have to flip the 25 pound tank upside down to get the liquid propane to move to the smaller tanks. I am thinking the OPD will float closed, on the larger tank when upside down. - is this correct?

The other solution I found is a ten pound cylinder with a Coleman tree to save space in the van.

I guess I should retire the old refill system.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

do hundred pound cylinders have a OPD?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    do hundred pound cylinders have a OPD?
    Uh cant flip them upside down. last I looked they port from the top.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I can flip mine upside down but to be honest I fill cylinders out of my 500 gallon tank, not the real small ones. I fill 20 lbs up to 100 lbs cylinders.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I refill from the 20 pound new or updated cylinders all the time.

They fill upside down fine.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I refill from the 20 pound new or updated cylinders all the time.

They fill upside down fine.
    Yes this is true, I don't know what the float thingie is supposed to do.

I also have the wet leg from my 250 gallon tank to the 5 gallon tank but something is not right, doesn't seem to fill.

Rancher

Air out, liquid in. Even with a butane lighter or it won't fill very much.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I never get the 1# cans to fill much over 50% anyway. It is just so much cheaper to refill than to buy new, especially as many as I used at one point. It was about $.50 a recharge when the new tanks were $3 each. Just meant I had to change cans every 3 hours instead of every 5 hours.

When I was living off grid refilling the 1# cans was a financial necessity.

And when camping in cold weather I always had the 20# tank along for the tent heater and Coleman tree. I could always refill from the big tank on the spot if necessary.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You have to press the valve down (looks like a valve on a car tire) when you fill up the 1# cans or you'll only fill them up part way.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I never get the 1# cans to fill much over 50% anyway. It is just so much cheaper to refill than to buy new, especially as many as I used at one point. It was about $.50 a recharge when the new tanks were $3 each. Just meant I had to change cans every 3 hours instead of every 5 hours.
    You can fill the 1# cans full if you pull up on that safety valve with a small forcep.

Rancher

I always had good luck putting the small canisters in the freezer before filling and then after they were chilled pulling them out to fill. I could overfill them that way if not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by cow_rancher View Post

I also have the wet leg from my 250 gallon tank to the 5 gallon tank but something is not right, doesn't seem to fill.

Rancher

The float is to provide a cushion of gas not liquid to prevent over filling... the early ones could be over filled by someone who did not know what they were doing at the gas station. when the cylinder warms up the liquid gas had no place to go resulting in explosions and fire. Before the OPD on a hot day people would pick up propane with their car and go "shopping" leaving the cylinder in their car.

Here is the Blue Rhino plant in Florida explosion.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Honorable mention of stupidity.... when hanging out with friends. This must of been the small cylinder.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by cow_rancher View Post

Rancher
    there is a bleeder on most small tanks on the valve. The bleeder is opened and when gas quits coming and liquid comes, it is 80 percent full. Shut the fill valve off and tighten the bleeder.

I see it's on a scale.....good idea.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yea that's how they do it at a good propane store.

Nice pic!

Theodore Roosevelt 1907