Thread: Hello from Texas

Default Hello from Texas

I'm about an hour west of Fort Worth here, in a college town of around 17,000. I live in town, but mom and a few cousins still live on great granddad's old farm and nursery ten minutes from town, so I have a couple hundred acres available to hike and camp on a moment's notice.

Always had the natural pair of interests for wilderness survival; figuring out what to take to make it easier, and knowing how to do without that if I have to. Thus, I will sometimes be that guy with a random mix of ultra-primitive and ultra-modern gear to get the job done.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good you stopped in here, lots of members watch this section and say hello....Where as they may not see all the threads.
    Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Welcome to the Forum. Glad you found it and us. I live about 70 or so miles north of the Red River on the east side of I-35. Sounds like you have a great place to camp and play. Hope you enjoy the information available here! I think you will find that lots of us use and carry what we like and are comfortable with in our kits. I keep a forged striker and flint in my kit all the time. I love wool and microfiber both. I wear braintanned mocs to bed and Danners to hike in. Please keep us posted about your adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    I think you will find that lots of us use and carry what we like and are comfortable with in our kits. I keep a forged striker and flint in my kit all the time. I love wool and microfiber both.
    I've found that the more I know about primitive and historic (i.e. the ~1800s stuff that the primitive purists sneer at) methods, the more it expands the capability of modern materials. That's why I don't have a problem cutting yucca for cordage with a modern Benchmade or using a space blanket and poly tarp to roof a shelter. In the end, saving 500 calories of effort might not taste as good as a bacon cheeseburger, but it has the same effect on the intake/expenditure balance.

Any place I'm required to shake my boots out before I put them on is OFF my bucket list and ON my "Oh, he** no I ain't goin' there," list. Any place that has a Poison Dart Frog...notice that very first name? Poison? On the list. Sorry, Brazil. Yeah, I'm lookin' at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Any place I'm required to shake my boots out before I put them on is OFF my bucket list and ON my "Oh, he** no I ain't goin' there," list.
    That's pretty much anywhere with scorpions, spiders or snakes. Pretty much, you're left with Antarctica.

Senior Member Pennsylvania Mike's Avatar

Hello and welcome from Virginia.

And that is why I live in Indiana. Well, that's one reason anyway. Even the scorpions here are friendly.

Welcome from GA!
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

Banned

Welcome to the forum. Your style of camping/survival sounds like mine basically pragmatic whatever works best modern materials, primative, bushcraft, old timer's pioneer, indigenous or whatever label you what to put on it, even hobo.
    I have some relatives in Eastland county with ranch land.

So please stick around share some ideas and ask some questions. If you find a dried up horny toad send it to Rick, he may think it is poisonous and freak out. Eastland had a famous one they made a cartoon about. Those dried up ones some times come back to life decades later...
    Last edited by TXyakr; 08-04-2015 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by TXyakr View Post
    So please stick around share some ideas and ask some questions. If you find a dried up horny toad send it to Rick, he may think it is poisonous and freak out. Eastland had a famous one they made a cartoon about. Those dried up ones some times come back to life decades later...
    Somewhere in storage I have a souvenir ceramic horned toad from Eastland. Haven't been through there in a couple years, though; seems like most of my travel is to Weatherford or on into DFW, with the occasional trip south.