Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any bears in Shawnee National Forest (Illinois) ???

Blog Entries

Cool It's like this...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The really amazing thing is that while one person has started two threads due to fear if bears, which many people travel miles to see...

Our annual jamboree is being scheduled to take place in the middle of a BEAR SACNTUARY !!!!

Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.....

And we will be there with kids, dogs.......and bacon!
    You're right, Kyrat, two threads and no conclusion. It's a trade off; isolation and no bears ain't gonna happen. Lots of people around and less bears; no people then lots of bears. I believe, based on all I've read from this fellow is that he's fighting a losing battle....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You are engaged in a two dimensional medium in which you don't have the luxury of seeing someone's body language. Unfortunately, joking around doesn't always come across as the humor that is intended in a medium like this. Don't take it personally. If we get on your case you'll know it. Just look how bad everyone treats me but I know they are all joking. You guys are joking, right?
    Some millennial is pulling EVERYONE's foot - your paw - your ....well nevermind.... 9 posts lives in Illinois and posts a stupid question about bears. Bear Spritz should join the Boy Scouts - he's a laugh a minute.....maybe they can straaatin him out.
    He is worthy of a practical joke.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    The really amazing thing is that while one person has started two threads due to fear if bears, which many people travel miles to see...

Our annual jamboree is being scheduled to take place in the middle of a BEAR SACNTUARY !!!!

Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.....

And we will be there with kids, dogs.......and bacon!

You guys let on that there is bacon at the jamboree and your going to need a bigger camp site! LOL

Blog Entries

Cool No...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Some millennial is pulling EVERYONE's foot - your paw - your ....well nevermind.... 9 posts lives in Illinois and posts a stupid question about bears. Bear Spritz should join the Boy Scouts - he's a laugh a minute.....maybe they can straaatin him out.
    He is worthy of a practical joke.
    He doesn't live in Illinois, he claims to live in California. Here's his very first post:

Quote Originally Posted by BearSprayer View Post
    Hello, I'm a newbie to this site and to backpacking.

I would like to go on my first solo backpacking trip soon, and spend about a week or longer out there. I would like to go some place with no bears, so that I just don't have to worry about them at all (peace of mind, you know ?).

I'm not looking to set up camp in an established backcountry camp, but want total solitude. In other words, I would like to camp out in the middle of nowhere, undisturbed. This is going to be sort of a spiritual journey for me, so it is very important that I am undisturbed (by people).

I realize that deserts have no bears (duh), but of course, I'd prefer an area with vegetation (i.e. a regular forest).

I live in Santa Barbara, California, and the only bear-free wilderness areas I see nearby are Montana De Oro State Park and Point Reyes National Seashore, but that is probably because they are too small to support a bear population.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. What is a reliable source of information on bear populations ? I've tried looking online but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks !

Note that he says that he's new to backpacking and that he wants to be totally alone in the woods. This is as close as he's gotten to an intro with no age given. However, based on the tone of his subsequent posts I'd say he's either in his late teens or early 20s. The thing that gets me is that he claims to be new to all of this but won't listen to the information and advice given by the more experienced on here. Doesn't fit his fantasy I guess. What he doesn't seem to understand that to do what he wants he's going to have to learn to live with nature and all that it has. He claims that it's just "peace of mind" that he's looking for but it soon becomes apparent that it's a lot more than that. He's afraid of them, just like my friend was with snakes.I believe that if his trip is only possible in an area without bears and with total isolation in the woods then he'll stay at home, just like my friend did. Even if there haven't been any bears reported it doesn't mean that there aren't any. Bears can move into an area, be transplanted there, just never been sighted yet, or overlooked in some other way. It's really sad, he's been given lots of great information and advice by the membership here, but refuses to listen....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

There are Bears in Chicago....but they have been pretty harmless for a while now......
    Nothing to be afraid of......(LOL, joke)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Default Indiana a state of bear paranoid folks

If this report about Indiana is true then go hiking there. Apparently the folks in Indiana are not willing to bear proof their trash and have prefered to run all the black bears out of their state for the last almost 150 years.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...src=SOC&dom=fb

Or maybe Eastern Shore of Maryland. Only one bear found there in "modern times".

http://somd.com/news/headlines/2009/9878.shtml

You won't find a lot of peace and quiet there, though.( the sound of boat motors is constant)
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Hey, Michigan shoos them south and we shoo them north. It works.

Blog Entries

Cool Also...

Note that bears aren't just restricted to the woods!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin