Thread: You have seen this before,,,, What do you like in your bug out bag list?

Default You have seen this before,,,, What do you like in your bug out bag list?

Well The govt is running this ridiculous ad of what to put into a bag and jump on a bus to the burbs in PA. I honestly don't care what they advertize. What I would like to know is from the group here - if placed in a situation just like me, and you have to walk out - what would you bug out list look like?

just honest answers, keep in mind if there is something specific we need a reference.

Looking forward to this... thanks - yup I am an old boy scout. I am all ears!
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Personally, I think anything that gets folks thinking about survival is a good thing. I haven't seen the advert so I can't comment on it but something is better than nothing. My plans are to either go the a hotel or a relative's home depending on how extensive things are so my bag looks like what I'd pack for a week-end get away. I'll have my EDC and vehicle bags as well.

I would be interested in what the consider a Bug Out Bag as well....?
    My bag is a go bag that I use all the time......more geared up and stocked for a trip or hotel stay, than wilderness survival, that stuff in the truck.
    I don't think a tarp is needed at the Holiday Inn.

Heavy on socks, underwear, credit cards, cash, flash drive with records and meds spare glasses.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Here is the Ready.gov link.
    http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit

They have a whole series of videos on all kinds of things. Not very organized.

My get out of town bag is basically what I call my Go Bag and is pretty much always in my truck. It's my get-caught-out-of-town bag. A change of clothes plus 6 pairs of sox and underwear. Hotels almost always have a washing machine on one of the floors or there is a thing called a sink. It's like when flying I always have a change of clothes in the carryon. Can't tell you how many times I've been stuck in a city overnight due to weather. BTW, the best trick is to start in the middle of the list when the airline hands you a list of hotels they have deals with. Or try your luck on your phone. There should be a law that hotels cannot jack rates in a weather emergency. I tried to get a room at a hotel once on my way home during a snowstorm and they wanted $379 for the night, at a $129 hotel.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

From the above website here it is

A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:
    Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
    Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
    Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both
    Flashlight and extra batteries
    First aid kit
    Whistle to signal for help
    Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
    Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
    Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
    Manual can opener for food
    Local maps
    Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger
    Once you have gathered the supplies for a basic emergency kit, you may want to consider adding the following items:
    Prescription medications and glasses
    Infant formula and diapers
    Pet food and extra water for your pet
    Cash or traveler's checks and change
    Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container. You can use the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit - EFFAK (PDF - 977Kb) developed by Operation Hope, FEMA and Citizen Corps to help you organize your information.
    Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or free information from this web site. (See Publications)
    Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
    Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
    Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted, nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
    Fire extinguisher
    Matches in a waterproof container
    Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
    Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
    Paper and pencil
    Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
    Remember the unique needs of your family members, including growing children, when making your emergency supply kit and family emergency plan.
    For Baby:
    Formula
    Diapers
    Bottles
    Powdered milk
    Medications
    Moist towelettes
    Diaper rash ointment

For Adults:
    Denture needs
    Contact lenses and supplies
    Extra eye glasses
    Ask your doctor about storing prescription medications such as heart and high blood pressure medication, insulin and other prescription drugs.

If you live in a cold climate, you must think about warmth. It is possible that you will not have heat. Think about your clothing and bedding supplies. Be sure to include one complete change of clothing and shoes per person, including:
    Jacket or coat
    Long pants
    Long sleeve shirt
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

That's what you should have in your home to bug in (at the very minimum.)
    If leaving, it depends on why you are leaving. You aren't going to need powdered milk and a sleeping bag to go to a hotel. You might though if you are going to a town shelter or a friend's house.

One of the things a lot of people neglect to make in advance is a binder with copies of important papers. Or a flash drive with PDFs of same. Assuming you think a flash drive is going to be accessible. If you are leaving your home because of a firestorm or tornado or hurricane, important papers ie insurance coverage and photos/inventory of your belongings could be helpful if your property goes toes up. Something you can grab quick without having to hunt all over the house or rummage through filing cabinets.

Don't assume you will have a charging station for your cell phone or iPad thing (and don't discount your car as being a charging station.)
    Last edited by LowKey; 07-04-2015 at 07:52 AM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

The main scenario that would likely affect me is earthquake. Forrest fire would be a second situation. All my important documents as well as some old pictures and a few flash drives are in a file box under my feet. I use it as a foot rest under my desk as my legs are short lol. Second important things are in a few boxes under my bed. The quilt my grandma sewed, one for each of her grand daughters, the lace table cloth my mother crocheted, one for each of her 5 daughters, the guest book and other documents from my husband's funeral are all in three (grab and go) boxes. As a doula (childbirth professional), I also keep a backpack by the door with a change of clothes, extra socks and underwear, toothbrush, tooth paste, a few granola bars, a bottle of water, (and after my last 36 hour birth, a phone charger), cash, bits and pieces of things I might need when away from home for several days.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I guessing there is going to be a difference in male and female BOB's.......LOL....
    That list has stuff I would never given a thought to.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I guessing there is going to be a difference in male and female BOB's.......LOL....
    Well like I said, in those two situations that I am most likely having to leave for. I would have a place to stay so wouldn't need shelter, sleeping bags, ect.

Star.
    I just read your list to DW, and she says, "What's your point?...Besides I not going anywhere unless I'm ready".
    So lets just say on the list......Personnel items.

Lol Well she certainly wouldn't leave behind family heirlooms. Face it, that's what you guys have us for. lol

Well I would add a small Machete to that list, the matches are out... wait a minute...

That list is for loosers and " we are all gonna die" types. That list is if the govt will rescue you in three days... not.

I need a better list any ideas?

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    You know....Because of this thread, I ask the question on another forum....Does anyone take DW/and children into account,....female, baby supplies, etc.

Several pointed out that they carry Tampex to stuff into bullet holes in their BOB........
    Thread died quick....must be a lot of combat load outs with a female...."Keep up if you can" type mentality.

But several did bring up the Dad card,.... and being responsible for family....DW and babies diapers, formula etc...

Did get the impression that the Bug out to the woods was the primary focus....Back pack, Glock and bigazz knife.

Yea I expected that. But the govt idea is full of holes and I was looking for help tightening it up...like a Alaska Survival list for a kit.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

IMO, you have to consider the high level categories that need to be in a list.

Individual Needs
    Special Needs (Baby, Child, Disability)
    Money and Documentation
    Sanitation
    Food and Water
    Tools
    Communication
    Vehicles
    First Aid
    Animals and Pets

What you fill each of those categories with is a personal choice based on knowledge, skills, needs, geography, weather and event. No one list is going to be workable for everyone. Any list is only a starting point of items to consider whether that's a list we post or something a governmental body puts out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well The govt is running this ridiculous ad of what to put into a bag and jump on a bus to the burbs in PA. I honestly don't care what they advertize. What I would like to know is from the group here - if placed in a situation just like me, and you have to walk out - what would you bug out list look like?

just honest answers, keep in mind if there is something specific we need a reference.

Looking forward to this... thanks - yup I am an old boy scout. I am all ears!
    I don't think that government ad is completely ridiculous. I place a very small lightweight tarp (SilNylon) in my bag even had one with me on my recent family vacation to Manhattan. I also like those military style rucksacks/assault packs with MOLLE straps to attach more gear to the outside like the tarp or sleep bag, hammock, sleep pad, water container, etc. Important that it fits in over head compartment of airplane, not essential but good if between your feet of seat infront of you. I remove all items that TSA does to like before I leave for airport, especially from FAK!

REASON for tarp: If my hotel or friend's home has a fire or earthquake I want to be able to sleep in a local park or somewhere outside and not be completely exposed. Also I carry very small tarp with me in very small mesh shoulder sling or day pack incase I am in or near a city park and it starts to rain hard. I can sling it up in 3 minutes and wait it out, not be stuck in some dang crowded store. I prefer nature not sweaty stinky strangers. I may be weird and not normal but my brain is constantly working, and I have lived many decades and traveled thousands of miles all over the world. BTW mesh bag allows wet tarp to start to dry and hang from MOLLE on outside of rucksack or from my shoulder, also folds up small, one or more people can walk around holding a small tarp, hang up high (maximum airflow) for sunshade if not raining and just taking a nap in a park or friend's backyard away from TV.

Earthquakes, building fires, wars/conflicts, riots, tsunamis, wildfires, terrorist, etc. are very rare but they do happen. The S does HTF everyday some where. There are more people displaced by conflicts today than anytime in human history since WWII. Over 40-60 million displaced humans today.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...5#.VbI_8njgL0s

If you have ever been stuck for hours in an airport due to a missed or delayed flight especially during the summer when you were just in shorts and T-shirt you will know that they can be very over Air Conditioned and cold when trying to sleep on the floor or chairs. So be sure to pack some Mylar emergency blankets or beg or buy garbage bags from the cleaning crews and lay there wrapping in those looking like hobos, LOL. In small airports in remote parts of the world and even many parts of North America all the shops close and even the TSA shuts down after about 9 pm or earlier, if you leave you can not re-enter. If you like fun wilderness camping areas those tiny airports are not easy to avoid.

Me boarding a plane at Denver airport heading for a much smaller airport, with assault pack/rucksack on, I rarely use that medical attached pack any more. PC in small bag beside me also not necessary don't take it much anymore, depends on where I am going this time I left it at cousins house when in wilderness.

assaultpack.jpg
    Last edited by TXyakr; 07-24-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: how to improvise in airport

Banned

Default How to get pure water, more important than carry water

Ready dot gov list was better than many I have seen but it is difficult to make one for every single person all scenarios in America.

I did notice that they provided a link on how to purify water, this can get complicated and I have seen many people make very bad mistakes with this critical task/item. If you or someone you have camped with has never had diarrhea while camping it is probably because you have not done much true primitive camping. The CDC also has good information on water purification. Many ways to do it effectively and many more ways to do it wrong or purify water then contaminate it immediately by just being ignorant or putting into containers that are not clean, pathogen free. More people in natural disasters and conflict zones die from inpure water than from almost all other things combined including bombs, firearms, fire and falling debris etc. Feel free to check my off the cuff statement. TSA will not allow you to take camp fuel on plane but a folding Ti wood stove is tiny and weighs less than 8 oz with a 12 fluid oz Ti pot and twigs and keeps you in drinking water for a long time. Many ways to pre filter with gypsy well, moss, sand, alum, charcoal, cotton balls, fabric, tiny filters like Sawyer etc. But if a lot of people are in an area due to a disaster I will assume that viruses and chemicals are in the water and I must filter and then boil. I once got Hepatitis type A from untreated water that I thought was treated. Better safe than extremely sick for over a month and years of liver damage. That is my personal experience.

Last edited by TXyakr; 07-24-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: personal experience, can never carry enough H2O

So a 8x10 tarp, bag style mylar wraps, small camp saw, Reflectix cord and camo para cord. Knifes, firestater, compass - a few batteries. UL water bottles. power aid dry tabs, small candles, (even thought of the ones that do not blow out.) $1 cutting board sheet as a stiffener for the pack and clean food prep. Pro Mountain House meals.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Default That's a loaded question

Relatively I pack everything a lite weight backpacker would bring on a week long trek into the bush under most conditions found within a hundred miles of here. I can filter and boil my own water as well as stay dry and warm but after 2 weeks or so I'd need to find resources for food and stove fuel cause my pack doesn't hold much more than that. But my equipment would last indefinitely as long as I maintain it all.
    The last thing I'd want is to get use to any one location so I pack for mobility.

I'm mobile