Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would you pick good "Bug Out Buddies"??

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I don't agree at all! I have 2 friends that I trust more than family, but if you have never had a friend like that I guess you wouldn't understand! None of my family are prepared for squat, no supplies, no guns, no nothing, so yeah that will work!
    I have known my friends most of my life and they have proven over and over that they have my back, so you go with family and I'll stick with my fiends and well both be happy! Just because somebody is family doesn't mean they are loyal, quite the opposite most of the time!
    In fact, my family to this day try to use me all the time, my friends ask for nothing!
    So.....its YOUR family Blade was referring to when he said he'd just take what he needs.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    So.....its YOUR family Blade was referring to when he said he'd just take what he needs.
    No Crash not even close! Sometimes I wonder why I even belong to this forum!

None of my family are prepared for squat, no supplies, no guns, no nothing
    hu·mor
    ˈ(h)yo͞omər/Submit
    noun
    the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.
    "his tales are full of humor"
    synonyms: comedy, comical aspect, funny side, fun, amusement, funniness, hilarity, jocularity;

I guess I failed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

No Crash not even close! Sometimes I wonder why I even belong to this forum!
    You just like the abuse....we all do.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yeah, well, just because someone is family still doesn't make them a "good bug out buddy".........
    Certainly. I, as I assume most of us, have family we wouldn't consider at all. In my circumstance though the only family I have within a thousand miles are my kids, a distant aunt and a distant cousin, neither of whom I know well or hang out with much. My aunt is pretty medically fragile and my cousin would drive me battey in a day with his incessant chatter and opinionated stances. Never been married, never had kids, thinks he knows it all. I'd probably off him myself in the first week. Also, most of my buddies would be on their own. The ones who would come to me for help would not be able to pull their own weight so would not be welcome in most SHTF scenarios. The ones who could pull their own weight will be doing the same things I am at their own locations. So I go back to me and my kids only, who are both pretty capable.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

If/when the SHTF, I'm sure everyone you know will be banging at your door wanting to be your buddy

I don't agree at all! I have 2 friends that I trust more than family, but if you have never had a friend like that I guess you wouldn't understand!
    I have a friend like that....I married his sister. Everyone has family members that are a little untrustworthy. I am a little lucky in that most of my family and my wife's family is very trustworthy. They don't all have much skill, but some do. I guess we all have to answer the question at some time...do we take in family or leave them to fend for themselves. This is a personal question and everyone will probably answer it differently.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I try not to look at them like family in a SHTF situation. Simply try to look at their integrity and loyalty. Family members that have always ask to borrow money, and not paid it back when they get it would leave the list first, lack of integrity! Loyalty is hard to prove for most people so that would narrow it down quick for me. No family except for the girls, and my buddy and his wife and daughter. My other buddy is in Oklahoma and would probably bug in but if he wants to come to my place, he would be welcome!
    Two friends are it for me! All of my family is in Oklahoma and not one has come to visit since I have been here, no reason to start now........LOL My 2 buddies are closer to me than family and their families as well!

Families have some interesting dynamics.

I, DW, a friend and HW stopped in a country saloon after a day of canoeing.......
    About 5 or 6 guys were already there and the party was on....one big guy started beating the tar out of a smaller guy.....

My buddy started to get up...little guy was taking a bad beating........Bar tender says, "Sit back down, they are brothers, hate each other and beat up on each other all the time......But try step in,.... ALL of them will jump on you".

I'm sure if a some kind of SHTF happens this dynamic will also apply.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Families have some interesting dynamics.

I, DW, a friend and HW stopped in a country saloon after a day of canoeing.......
    About 5 or 6 guys were already there and the party was on....one big guy started beating the tar out of a smaller guy.....

My buddy started to get up...little guy was taking a bad beating........Bar tender says, "Sit back down, they are brothers, hate each other and beat up on each other all the time......But try step in,.... ALL of them will jump on you".

I'm sure if a some kind of SHTF happens this dynamic will also apply.
    good point