Thread: sharing skill sets with a neighbor

Default sharing skill sets with a neighbor

ever try to approach a neighbor on camping .many people today it seems have very little
    camping knowledge computer savvy you bettcha setting up a camp picking out a proper
    bush knife(WHAT'S THAT) they'll say.i must admit in today;s climate even simple camping
    has been labled as a survivalist pastime. just look at all the magazines at wally world.
    so in light of this do we approach the topic carefully or what. everyone out by me knows about
    camping and all. but in the city not so much.i live in the country but there are those here on the forum
    that do live in the city as well. so has anyone ever done this or what.

I have never tried to approach a neighbor about camping.

so in light of this do we approach the topic carefully or what.
    Camping is a normal activity. I would also say that more city folks or suburbanites camp then country boys. Most of the country people I know can hunt their land or a neighbors land and still sleep at night in their bed. That is just my experience.

I have had many neighbors that come over and talk to me about camping as I am loading up over the years. I have people come up to us while we are gassing up and ask us where we are going. My dad introduced many people to camping. My brothers and I have likewise introduced many, many people to their first trips out into the woods. And my children have been introducing their friends, coworkers and neighbors for many years.

I keep my old tents and sleeping bags. I lend them to new campers until the decide what kind of camping is for them.

That is one of the greatest reasons to learn bushcraft. It keeps them interested.

To me it seems the hardest thing to get people past is the lack of showers and especially toilets.

It all depends. If someone knows I am in to camping and they show even a little interest, I'll invite them. I had a couple show up for an afternoon while camping at a local state park. They saw how enjoyable it was, even without a hotel on wheels, and they got into it.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

When I was younger I simply assumed everyone knew how to camp. I eventually realized that some people were way out of their comfort zone. I adjusted my attitude and I get several phone calls a year asking to go with and learn. It's one of the most rewarding camping experiences to introduce someone to the woods. The most difficult skill to master seems to be the lack of a toilet. It really makes many people get all twisted up. Cooking seems to be the most popular skill to learn. Everybody complains about sleeping on the ground.

madmax, mabey a 5gal pail will help for the potty cutout the bottom.
    sleeping on the ground sleep pads. learning to cook outdoors without burning the food
    is good. that's great that people ask and your able to do it. simple camping/bushcraft
    skills can save someones life at times.

One must understand that not everyone think of camping or even any part of it as "fun", for what ever reason.

So if some one shows an intrest fine, I invite, help out and enjoy their company.

If they are doing their own thing....just say Hi, and let it go.

One thing that has been getting more and more irritating lately.....cell phones and tablets.
    Had neighbors over last night at "The Place"
    Sat around on the porch, having a few brewskies, discussion was "our "Places", they had their cabin a couple of years before ours.
    We were playing with our dogs and theirs.....puppies....2 just over a year old and the new pup Molly 10 weeks.

During the discussion they never put the phones down, and I think she was playing game on her phone.......or be in the middle of a sentence would get and answer a text.

I guess this is the new communication.... and can see the future of campfire sitting when everyone is sitting around....,and texting back and forth.

Bottom line my ways are not your ways, and although there is nothing wrong with your ways.......I prefer mine. (if that makes any since?)
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Everybody gets pissed off at me for not answering my phone. They also don't understand that I don't text. No matter how many times I tell them.

I got a fix for the phone thing. Where I go camping there is rarely any service.

Quote Originally Posted by Batch View Post
    I got a fix for the phone thing. Where I go camping there is rarely any service.
    LOL...So y'all don't have people walking around on one foot, holding the phone up in different directions, and bytching loudly about "no service"?.....Bhohahahaha
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

You have to drive about 20 minutes from camp to the power lines at least to get a signal. Sometimes you need to drive a little further out toward the road.

Funny thing though is if you send a text and it may go through as you drive around. Every once in a while your phone will ring. You'll answer it. But, you won't have a conversation a few garbled words and the signal will be lost. But, you'll answer it anyway. LOL

When I camp, it is family and friends time. The phone goes away. I may check it a couple times a day to make sure emergencies haven't arrived, but that is all. If there us no service, I turn it off and forget about it.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I recently read a biography of Daniel Boone. He once stated that the worst part of exploring the vast, remote, unknown territories that eventually became Kentucky and Tennessee, was that his cell phone would not work out there.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759