Thread: anyone here do metal detecting here need tips

Default anyone here do metal detecting here need tips

i just bought a bounty hunter(quick silver) metal detector.
    i took it out back and already found stuff a olc cat food container,a piece of flat metal
    and two pieces of wire yoohoo . why i,ll be able to open my own scrap metal yard soon.
    so where are the choice places to look?

I have had good luck in parks......favorite spot is volley ball courts, around the out side spectators area and by posts.
    People take off jewelry and wallets to play.

Beaches.....again near sitting and lounging areas.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

This place if pretty good.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Naw....that's too heavy.....

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    i just bought a bounty hunter(quick silver) metal detector.
    i took it out back and already found stuff a olc cat food container,a piece of flat metal
    and two pieces of wire yoohoo . why i,ll be able to open my own scrap metal yard soon.
    so where are the choice places to look?
    It depends on what you're looking for. Where allowable, places where people come together in crowds and use money is a fine place to find coins. Fairgrounds, parks with vending, that sort of things. Places where people did so when silver change was common make good locations for finding pre '64 silver coinage.

Places where people come and take off clothes/jewelry (like beaches and swimming holes) are good for finding those items.

Really, you want to think about when something you might want to look for is handled and likely to have been dropped, where greater amounts of people might commonly do so, and for historical items/relics when and where that is likely to have been the case in the appropriate period.

For native metals prospecting take a similar approach to geological processes and erosion.

Most of all, though I probably don't have to tell you this: be both considerate and aware of the rights of others, regarding private property, public property policy and destructive behavior.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

getting permission is a must, it,s just getting it. our house was built in the early thirties i believe.so there
    could be some possibilities there,would like to find much older places. thing is thhough this whole region
    was native american lands pre1865.

Next time you are in a hardware store....pick up a couple of brass brazing rods, and a few file handles.
    Cut the brass rods into like 6", 12" an 18" pieces, mount in file handles.
    They make wonderful probes, something about brass that allows you to get a better "feel" for a buried object before deciding to dig......

Big soup spoon with a wood handle works well for surgical "digs"
    .....and flour sifter, ....more compact then a colander.

BTW, Mine is a Garret low to mid range......but their customer service is great.
    Had a battery pack break....Called them, Lady says "Give me your address, I'll just send you a couple"
    Was no charge....Good people.
    Last edited by hunter63; 05-06-2015 at 12:30 PM.

I don't bother with them. Last time I used a metal detector I dug up a mile of petro pipe before the pipe guys showed up. Never did find what was setting off the detector.