Thread: Cast iron 2 quart pot

Default Cast iron 2 quart pot

So I bought this from an online retailer a few weeks back and it arrived yesterday. Box was undamaged but if you look at the pictures you can see the pot is in poor condition. Rusty on the bottom and a mark that looks like someone took a grinder to it on the inside and corresponding on the outside. I cleaned up the rust with an SOS pad and I cured it with oil in the oven, any thoughts? Shipping it back for a return would cost me more than the $20 I paid for it and I didnt want to take a chance I would get one in the same condition as a replacement. Stansport brand via Amazon.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jimmyq; 03-05-2015 at 11:29 PM.

one more picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jimmyq; 03-05-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Send an e-mail to the seller through amazon and show the pictures. Explain the situation and politely ask for a refund or a replacement and you are willing to send the first one back at their expense.

If need be, get amazon involved. Amazon almost always sides with the customer (sadly even when the customer is in the wrong) and will refund you your money.
    Last edited by RangerXanatos; 03-05-2015 at 11:40 PM.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

They (Amazon.com) are willing to get me a full refund and $15 towards shipping but it will cost far more than that to ship it from Canada back to the US. I am leery to get a replacement as I don't know what shape it will be in and it might be the same or worse as what I got the first time.

The box labels clearly shows

Made in China

you expected something better?
    I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

If a person bought it online and the web page didnt mention where it was made, how would they know where it was made? Not everything made in China is crap, just some of it.
    It looks like it may have been returned once before.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

I wouldn't be concerned about the rust. I have cleaned and reseasoned a lot of rusty pieces I've picked up from garage sales or similar. I can't tell from the pictures if the divot is at the same location inside and out or if it's two different locations. Either way I'd heat some water in it and make certain neither open up to a hole once they get hot. If it leaks then I'd contact the seller and ask them how they want to handle it. They might even pay shipping because of the defect. That looks like a factory issue with some cast slag they tried to remove. If you have to pay return shipping then weigh it and check rates on Canada Post. I know I can send 64 ounces to Canada as First Class. That's $15 and change US.

Stansport is a a decent name in outdoor gear. They've been around a long time but they are not high end on quality. As for China made, that's no different than any other factory. Every car and truck we drive probably has some parts made in China.

I agree with Rick's advice. The rust isn't a big deal (box could have gotten wet in transit). If the pot works, you've got a decent one for $20. I paid $20 for the last flea market cast iron piece I bought....it took three days of cleaning and seasoning to bring it back to life.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Clean season and cook some awesome food,post pics.
    Survival happens daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyq View Post
    They (Amazon.com) are willing to get me a full refund and $15 towards shipping but it will cost far more than that to ship it from Canada back to the US. I am leery to get a replacement as I don't know what shape it will be in and it might be the same or worse as what I got the first time.
    This was certainly Amazon's response and not Stansport through Amazon's messaging service?

While the oven is probably still serviceable, I would be mad about that weld spot (?) and there would be no way I would purchase it that way new from inside a store.

The rust can be cleaned off and wouldn't be as bothersome to me. It does read like it did not come preseasoned so some rust would be likely to form.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

That's too bad......Have purchased a lot of Cast iron over the years, but mostly used at flea markets.

If it doesn't leak I would just clean, season and use....and chalk it up to "Well, ain't gonna buy any more of that brand."
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks all for the input. It has been cleaned, seasoned and awaits first trial of cooking. The damaged bits are aligned inside and out. I am reminded you get what you pay for.

Rather than using it for cooking and taking a chance that it does leak I think I'd just heat water with it first. That would be the pits (no pun intended, well okay, maybe a bit) to have all your food in there only to find it leaking out the bottom onto the burner. Water would be easy to clean up. Food, not so much.

I agree with the water....and if it leaks....you have just have a planter.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Even if it does leak, still not a total loss Use it like a Dutch oven by using 3 or 4 larger rocks to elevate the pot so coals can go under, the lid has a lip, so that part is good.

Make some pies, cakes, muffins, etc.

Have fun
    I'd much rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist....

Jimmy,
    Sometimes with a "new" pot I have had to use a stone to smooth the bottom some. You might try using a whet stone to clean up the edges of that grinder spot. Also if it does have a hole in it a good machine shop might be wiling to repair it. "They" make welding rod for cast iron repair nowadays. I know it might blow your budget. Do you know any oil field welders or pipeline welders who might be willing to do it in trade? My suggestion is exactly what Rick said. Don't do anything else with it until you boil some water in it and see if it leaks. If it does not leak you can spend some time cleaning it and seasoning it after you know your investment is okay.

I have welded cast iron with a stick welder and a rod made for cast iron. That maybe an option or some JB weld .