Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some input from forum members

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius95 View Post
    Knife - He's a Boy Scout, so no fixed blades. Do you know of a reasonably priced folder? Maybe a decent locking carbon steel? (he has access to a fixed blade Mora that I use).
    Put a Mora 511 in his pack and tell him to only take it out on BSA outings in an emergency. If he is with you, he can carry it on his belt. Other than that, I have two suggestions. The best IMHO is a Victorinox. Get the smallest one that has a saw and scissors. It will have other stuff, but I consider those two things, along with the blade, to be the most important. Obviously a Case is another good brand. I have found the brand "Ruko" to be decent. I bought this one for both of my sons. It has turned out to be perfect for them. I bought it for them when they were 8 for their birthdays. I want them to buy their own Victorinox (it instills a bigger sense of ownership). I also didn't want to spend the money on a nicer knife because I know they will be boys and break it. They haven't broken it yet... Of course, your son is 14, so he might be ready for the more expensive Victorinox.
    http://www.amazon.com/13-Function-St...o+swiss+knives

Hatchet - He said he wants a hatchet. I have little experience with these.
    Look at Cold Steel, or even Estwing at Home Depot.

Shelter - emergency blanket, tarp?
    Walmart has a 5X7 nylon tarp that is less than $10.

Water - Purification tablets, filtered drinking straw, platypus type water container
    Sawyer mini. $19 at wally world

Navigation - button compass
    I recommend a base plate navigation compass. He can use it for the orienteering merit badge. Look at Brunton or Suunto.

First Aid - I suggested we could build a kit together. What types of things should we include.
    Definitely put one together with him. He has to do this for the First Aid merit badge anyways.

Oh yeah, for the Wilderness Survival merit badge, he has to put together a survival kit.... so he can use the whole kit for that as well.
    Last edited by finallyME; 10-22-2014 at 10:19 AM.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I keep thinking of stuff I need to add to my bag, as well. I do have room for some more Twinkies. Maybe some bacon bits, too.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

did he ever tell you where he got the idea to get a survival bag? not many kids to day i would,nt think talk about
    stuff like that.

I made a bag back in sixth grade, and I made the mistake of making it way to heavy to carry. Now I'm a freshman and my bag has slimmed down a lot and become a ton more useful. I have a military surplus bag I got from a friend, and it can get about twice as big as I have it right now. I also have a tarp, hammock, sleeping bag, and poncho. I've got a customized med kit, and a food pouch. I've also got rope, tools, and mess kit that contains 4 methods of fire starting. The bag ways around 20 pounds, and it feel I can handle it for a while. Just don't overpack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Arctic Fox; 11-03-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hayshaker View Post
    did he ever tell you where he got the idea to get a survival bag? not many kids to day i would,nt think talk about
    stuff like that.
    We used to watch 'Survivorman' and "Dual Survivor' quite a bit, so I imagine that's what he is thinking about. Also, he has to listen to me when we're in the car. I frequently ask questions like, "What would you do if ...". Usually, it involves staying put and calling me or his mom. As a Scout (he gets promoted to Scout First Class tonight), he goes on the outings with the kids. It's something we enjoy doing together, and it's a good father/son activity (IMO).
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Congratulations on his promotion. Yes, I think it is a great father/son activity and I'm glad you both enjoy it.