Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: alternatives to 22 rimfire

Lame you are absolutely right, my Dad and all of his relatives lived in the deep dark woods of Arkansas, almost in all cases, all they owned was .22 rifles. If it had hair on it they used the .22, if it had feathers they used an old beat up Stevens double barrel shotgun. The only time the shotgun got used was during Quail and Duck season because they could barely afford shells for it. They owned some wooded land and they took dear with the .22 as well because they just didn't have anything else to shoot them with. They didn't know all of the rules, if they needed meat they used a .22 to get it.
    All of the old coon hunters my Dad knew used a .22 rifle once the dogs had one up a tree. Anybody that thinks a .22 is a worthless round must have never hunted with one.
    In my honest opinion there never will be a replacement for a .22, and I would like to think that ammo manufacturers will eventually produce enough .22 ammo that they will be available and on the shelf again!
    Last edited by Wildthang; 09-25-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

My grandfather used a 97 winchester for jut about everything. he also used a 22 hornet. When he passed the only 22 lr he owned was a colt officers target revolver. I have a stevens tip up that was used as a trapline gun that traded from him when I was a kid. I will not say that no one used a .22 lr for hunting but look through the gear lists of the old timers and many didn't even list a .22 lr.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?