Thread: Hurricane area- how to prep

Default Hurricane area- how to prep

As the title states I have quite a conundrum. I live in area that has hurricanes so it makes it hard to set a good survival plan. Do I set up for shelter in place and hunker down or do I bug out. Each pose many pros and cons but if I had my druthers I'd like to stay at my house. Getting off a peninsula when **** is going down makes for a not so fun situation. Thanks for any and all input

It has been over 90 years since a major hurricane hit your area. That being said - you still need to be prepared. Being on the other coast of Florida I prepare for both contingencies. I want to ride out a storm, but my comfort limit is a cat 3. The trick as you already know is to make the decision to leave early enough or else be stranded in traffic and out of fuel.

Here are some things to consider.......

Look at the path of the storm. While no guarantee, heading north on I-75 may not be the best route - heading east might be.

Here are some other things I do:
    >plenty of non-perishable food on hand at all times
    >a lot of water on hand at all times (rotate as needed)
    >plywood pre-cut and pre-drilled to cover windows (metal shutters even better if you can)
    >keep trees trimmed around the house to prevent a falling tree/limb from striking the home
    >plenty of batteries and flashlights
    >a working generator that you test often (start and use it - two parts the motor and the generator - both need to work)
    >plenty of fuel stored for generator
    >good quality weather alert radio
    >battery operated/wind up radio(s)
    >never let vehicles get low on fuel
    >have a bug out bag that suits your needs ready to go in case things deteriorate really fast

As a storm approaches:
    >remove all missile hazards from yard and surrounding area
    >now is not the time to trim limbs as they will become flying debris
    >determine you evac route

There's a lot more, but that will get your brain going. Keep in mind that, depending on the direction of the storm you may be able to avoid the brunt of it by moving 20 miles and staying in a motel.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Also, check with your county emergency folks. They can tell you where the surge zones are and the evac areas. Run from the water, hide from the wind.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

The only thing I can add is you should stabilize all stored fuel and rotate it into your vehicle so gen-set gas is always fresh.
    I use star-tron enzyme treatment and have had good luck.
    Survival happens daily.

I don't stabilize my fuel - just rotate it. I do use a mid grade fuel without ethanol in it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Make sure vehicles are full of fuel at all times......last thing you want to have to do in wait in line when it time to go.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I had no idea you could buy gas without ethanol other nav. Gas. Lucky!
    Survival happens daily.

We can buy it out here in western Wisconsin....away from the cities in eastern WI and Ill.

I buy it here and take it back to the city especially for the 2 cycle stuff...ethanol stuff rots fuel lines.

There is only one chain, and not all of them carry it. It is more expensive, but boats and small engines are much happier with it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash- I have done most of the things you mentioned already and I keep up on them as we'll- branches and such. My biggest issue is the fact that we are located in B flood zone which puts us at a high risk for flooding. I am also on the bay side of my area not the gulf side which is not so good in the event of a storm surge. So that puts any preps for the house right in the toilet if we get a few good days of solid rain and a storm in the gulf. TS Debbie flooded streets without any rain falling just by pushing the water back through the drains.
    Got food. Can get water. Just need a solid shelter and power options. Am seriously considering solar panels and a wind generator as back ups
    As far as ethonol free fuel. I know of two stations in town that have it but my truck is a diesel

Would solar panels and wind generator be wise in a storm?

Quote Originally Posted by tyson323 View Post
    Crash- I have done most of the things you mentioned already and I keep up on them as we'll- branches and such. My biggest issue is the fact that we are located in B flood zone which puts us at a high risk for flooding. I am also on the bay side of my area not the gulf side which is not so good in the event of a storm surge. So that puts any preps for the house right in the toilet if we get a few good days of solid rain and a storm in the gulf. TS Debbie flooded streets without any rain falling just by pushing the water back through the drains.
    Got food. Can get water. Just need a solid shelter and power options. Am seriously considering solar panels and a wind generator as back ups
    As far as ethonol free fuel. I know of two stations in town that have it but my truck is a diesel
    Your location makes it all the more important to make the decision to leave early. Here (Jacksonville) when a storm is coming, the beaches area are the first to go under mandatory evacs.

Do you have flood insurance? If not, it would be wise to get it. Homeowner's/Renter's Insurance? Keep those things up to date and copies of those policies in your BOB (as well as other places).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I found this, http://pure-gas.org/ mods may want to move it.
    Survival happens daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter2 View Post
    I found this, http://pure-gas.org/ mods may want to move it.
    Nice find, and this is as good a place as any for it. Looks like J'ville has more than I thought.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That was a cool find. I didn't know we had any. Hmmmm.

That .org website is misleading. I know two of they places they list for MA and they aren't gas stations. They're small-engine equipment vendors and repair shops. They carry the non-ethanol gasoline in gallon cans that look like a turpentine can. Costs about $8 or $10 a gallon...
    I buy it for my chainsaw and a few other things that take oil mix gas that I don't use too often.
    I use Sta-bil for the gas even though I do rotate it out. The guy at one of those listed places recommended Sea-foam for 2-stroke motors instead. Harder to find and I use Sta-bil in the boat motor gas anyway so haven't switched over.
    Last edited by LowKey; 08-31-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    If we are to have another contest in…our national existence I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's, but between patriotism & intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition & ignorance on the other…
    ~ President Ulysses S. Grant

Like tose buy and carry those cans of premixed 2 cycle fuel at the proper mix ratio for my carry around chain saw.....several year shelf life.

I do like Sea Foam as well....can't stand those Sta-ble bottles, and really smells funny ab=fter you get the motor running.

But that is just me.

Hunter just reminded me by his post above, have a runable chainsaw on hand in the house in case you have to cut your way out, wouldn't hurt to have a good axe and prybar as well!

After the tornado in '78 I spent the evening cutting trees out of the inside of my attic. Yeah, chainsaw sure came in handy.

That's why I carry the saw w/premix canned gas.....

Anyway, watching a show on the Weather Channel about a hurricane, and a 911 operator told a lady that she couldn't bring her pocket dog.....so she stayed behind.....lived but just.

So think about the pets as well.

Oh yeah, another thing I got form that show.....when things start looking really bad....write your SS number on your arm, helps with body identification .....That's what the pissed off 911 lady told the dog lady.