Thread: Leatherman life expectancy

Default Leatherman life expectancy

I was wondering how long a leatherman tool would last. I use one everyday. About a year ago leatherman sent me a new supertool 2000. It has been used everyday since then. It is so loose now that the pliers part can be opened like a butterfly knife. I wonder what it will be like in two years. Thinking about going to linemans pliers and a sheath knife. I do use the screwdriver on the leatherman quite often though. Any thoughts?
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

If you are unhappy with the 2000 I would contact Leatherman and see what they say. They have a 25 year guarantee on their tools.

https://www.leatherman.com/support-warranty.html

25 yrs no questions asked,send it in and they send you a new or repaired multitool.
    I carried a pst for 15 yrs and sent it back 4 times,used every day but well cared for(cleaned/oiled.)
    If your using the pliers lots maybe try the surge or st300.

I can't complain about leathermans warranty, they are awesome, this tool came back to me under warranty. In all fairness to leatherman, this tool gets rode hard and put up wet so to speak and when it's unusable I may send it in for warranty. In the meantime though I was wondering if warranty wasn't available, what the life expectancy might be.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

I have a 300 Leatherman and have had it 3-4 years and love the fact that I can butterfly open it one handed for the pliers, everything is still tight i lubricate it often. As for life expectancy many variables to consider, proper use,maintenance,neglect. i've seen them left outdoors for months,used as hammers etc. On the other hand I have other Leathermen tools I've had for many years and are still functioning properly, and yes they get used often.
    Semper Paratus

I may have posted on this leatheman, I had lost it in a pit and it was covered in water for the winter. This spring I went on a service call to the same place and found it. It held up good. The butterfly open is nice at times. Need to get me a tool that has replacement cutter teeth.

Default Leatherman life expectancy

I have an extensive Leatherman collection. I carry a wave with a pocket clip as part of my EDC. My dad is a carpenter and he uses the super tool 300, I think he has sent it in 3 times now for the very same problem you have. The handles get so loose that the tool pretty much falls open. He gets around a year and a half out of it before this happens, maybe two years. Every time he has sent it in to Leatherman and they just send him a new one. I work maintenance so I definitely use mine daily but usually break the screwdriver or pliers before it gets that worn out and end up sending it in on warranty.

I would say since the supertool is around $80 you probably got your money's worth if you've been carrying it for 2 years. The supertool 300, Rebar and the Surge all have replaceable cutting jaws. If you sent in your supertool 200 they would almost certainly send you a brand new supertool 300 since the 200 is the old version. Up to you!
    Last edited by alaskabushman; 08-01-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I'm a multi-tool guy but I do think they have their limits. As an everyday work tool they're not likely to last too long. Their inherent design is just not robust enough. I'm an electrician and I kill tools that are actually design and built for trade use. I certainly don't expect any of my multi-tools to stand up to the same kind of abuse. For me they're just an EDC tool that I use as the need arises (outside of work). I've had a Leather PST since 1997 and it's still in fairly good shape. Same goes for my Rebar and Wingman. Both get used but not abused and both are holding up well.

I've been carrying a leatherman since the mid 80's, and that one broke on me a few years ago but they replaced it with a new one since my model is no longer being made. They are an excellent company and they take care of their customers

Randy, I have the super Tool 300 with replaceable cutters. I actually prefer the ones without this feature. Having cut and stripped wire with both. Now if your going to just be cutting stuff then it might be better. But, if you want to be able to strip wire, you'll probably just end up using the knife blade.

Thanks fore the comments. I use the cutters on my leatherman for cutting wire, sometimes it's black iron tie wire. Was thinking the replaceable cutters may be tougher or of course easily replaced.

It would probably be good for that. It cuts solid wires okay. It doesn't cut stranded great. especially the smaller gauges like 18awg and 20awg. the cutting blades also don't go all the way back. So, you have to look at what your doing. With my other leatherman I don't remember needing to worry about that.

Course, when I used to cut and strip a lot of wire I reached for my Kleins.

I like the replaceable wire cutter blades.
    Last edited by sjj; 08-06-2014 at 05:09 AM.

Interesting thread, and itr good to hear about another good, stand behind their product.... company.

I have 2 and they ride in the trucks console.....wait one is a Gerber>>>.I have always found them too heavy, and normally use an intended tool for HVAC service work.

Some how they never seem to stay on my belt....whereas a SAK or the little cheapo Multi tool is carried and only used when nothing else is available.

I had given one to my brother many years ago......and he has never been with out it since....I know it has been replaced over the years, but would have to ask him details.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I hear gerber has a good warranty too but have not personally experienced it.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I hear gerber has a good warranty too but have not personally experienced it.
    I have sent in two Gerber multitools and they were replaced without question. Nice tools, I just prefer how the Leatherman versions are laid out. The one handed opening is nice though.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."