Thread: PTR-91 Classic

Default PTR-91 Classic

Hello the camp.

I recently purchased a PTR-91 Classic with wood furniture. I wanted a simi auto 7.62 NATO rifle that has the reliability of an AK, but better accuracy. I considered the Springfield M1A, the DSA SA58 FAL, and the PTR-91.

The requirements were; must feed and function reliably with any 7.62mm NATO/.308 WIN ammo I might happen to find, be capable of 2MOA or better from the bench, have good iron sights, have a provision for optic attachment, good parts availability, and have good mag availability. If I found that two rifles met the criteria, the deciding factor wold be cost.

All three met the accuracy requirement. The PTR-91 (current production, with HK spec chamber fluting) comes out on top when it comes to ammunition sensitivity. The gas system of the FAL and the M1A can be adjusted to allow for ammo variations. All three have decent to great iron sights. The nod goes to the M1A on this count, with the PTR-91 a close 2nd.

At this time, the parts availability seems to be comparable between all three. Parts cost seems to go to the PTR-91. Magazine availability and cost goes to the PTR-91, I can purchase 100 G3 mags for $179.00 including shipping and from the reports most will either be new and in the wrapper or near new with the remainder in excellent condition.

Optic mounting can be accomplished for all three and there are trade offs for all three as well. For me, this is a three way tie.

It was the combination of parts/magazine availability/cost and the ability to reliably feed and function with any ammo I can find that were the deciding factors. In all other considerations (from my perspective), the PTR-91 either tied or was in 2nd place.

In doing my research, it became apparent to me that any of these rifles would be a good choice. Are there better options, sure there are. But at twice the cost and then you start having parts availability issues.

If I decide to add an optic, I'll go with the MFI low profile rail and probably the Buris PEPR QD mount (or something very similar). I'm undecided about an optic.

Here are a couple photos of my rifle. First, as received (plus a sling).
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Next, with the collapsible stock.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I will be replacing the plastic Navy lower with a clipped and pinned steel lower which will have a wood hand grip.

When I went to the range to sight the rifle in, I had a pleasant surprise. It was already dead on at 50 yards using the 200 meter aperture, which is as it should be. Shooting PMC Bronze (147 gr FMJBT), I'm getting (when I do my part) 1.5 inch to 2 inch five shot groups at 50 yards (standing, unsupported).
    Vernon in Indiana

That's quite a rig....can't say I have seen on mod-ed before.....
    Thanks for posting.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I like the larger caliber. Can I ask what you need 100 mags for?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    who said anything about need? For under $2 a mag, why not get 100?

Good buy, btw.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's not so much the need, but the fact that they are available at that price. With mags for the other rifles mentioned costing at least ten times as much, that can be a compelling factor.

I have not yet purchased that hundred pack, but I probably will soon. You never know when the supply will dry up, wheather due to exhausted inventories or regulatory changes. I have a friend who has a PTR-91, and at least two who will probably get one. So that hundred pack will likely be split a few ways.

I like to have seven to nine mags ready to go for any mag fed rifle I own with twice that number in reserve to cover loss or failure.
    Vernon in Indiana

Thanks for the comments, all of you.

I forgot to mention in the OP, but the reputation these rifles have for brutal recoil and brass destruction are undeserved. I don't notice any more recoil than what I get from my AR in 5.56 NATO, this is with either stock.

The collapsible stock looks like it would be uncomfortable to use, but I feel no discomfort after firing several magazines. The only problem I forsee with the collapsible stock would be it's use with the rifle scoped. If I scope this rifle, I'll put the fixed stock back on and attach a cheek pad. It 's a simple matter of pulling the two take down pins, pulling off the stock that is on the rifle, inserting the stock you need, and replacing the pins.

And the brass is easily reloadable, although you have to be able to find it to do so. When I get a chance to photograph my brass, I'll post a few photos to show what my PTR does to it.
    Vernon in Indiana

I'd love to pick one up since the price of the real HKs is so high.

Nice rifle but as a brass scrounger the fluted chamber has been a sticking point for me. I have a cemte with a fluted chamber and have often wondered about reloading those rounds. My fn fal leaves me nice brass ready for processing and reloading.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?