Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bug Out Locations

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Perhaps some of those Hollywood stars should take their awards up there and make a speech to the water and make it stop!

Perhaps threaten to move to Canada if the lake continues to rise.
    Psssst, many are from Canada...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Hi Hunter63 yeah Im always geared up .... ready for SHTF and i hope it gets here soon
    Should prove very interesting especially ifbit hits globally whixh Im thinking
    It wil ... keep yer eyes peeled and watchin for signs ...
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

I checked out a place once that was supposed to be like minded and all...

...like minded my butt. like some didn't even have a mind.

Did the same another time with a meetup group. Oh geez. Nope.
    The pessimist complains about the wind;
    The optimist expects it to change;
    The realist adjusts the sails.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by birdman6660 View Post
    Hi Hunter63 yeah Im always geared up .... ready for SHTF and i hope it gets here soon
    Should prove very interesting especially ifbit hits globally whixh Im thinking
    It wil ... keep yer eyes peeled and watchin for signs ...
    Signs...Hummm ...."4 Sign of the Apocalypse"
    Bob Dylan Winning a Nobel Prize
    Cubs winning the World Series
    Trump elected President Of The USA

That was three....

If the Minn. Viking would have won the Super Bowl....
    Run...Run far, and fast ....

But they didn't...so not yet....

We're not in control of much. A little but, that's easily dismissed.

Speaking of house boats.... Was watching that show with Chip and Joan... they fix up houses and sell, or something like that. I need to ban that show from my wife. Nothing ever good comes from your wife watching HGTV shows. Anyways, they were doing a house boat. It looked real nice when done, but I was thinking... do house boats depreciate in value over time. I would think so. I guess I should actually do real research instead of asking on a forum. Not that I am going to buy a houseboat anytime soon... or at all. Just been listening to too much Ramsey lately (Dave, that is, not Gordon).
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Nothing ever good comes from your wife watching HGTV shows.
    That ain't funny man. Wait...yea it is. Maybe a little.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    ........... I need to ban that show from my wife. Nothing ever good comes from your wife watching HGTV shows.................
    Bhohahahaha....NOW THAT is the truth.....
    Famous last words..."All we have to do is".......Key word..."We" means "You"

Quote Originally Posted by Power Giant View Post
    I lived in a camper for a couple of years. It was fine in the summer, not real good in the winter.
    Depends on where you live. Spring before last wife and I bought a new 28' coachman catilina trailer. Has double slide outs, heck the thing is nicer than our house. It's part of one of our B.O. plans. As for a BOL we're currently talking to a realator about getting rid of the place at Tell city that's about 60 miles from here and buying a place that is about 40 miles away has that is a little smaller than what we have at 65 acres. But this place already has a place that could support 3 campers/ motor homes,it has a septic system, good well water, but is on the power grid. So we'll need to consider some kind of either solar or generator set up for when the grid goes down.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Depends on where you live. Spring before last wife and I bought a new 28' coachman catilina trailer. Has double slide outs, heck the thing is nicer than our house. It's part of one of our B.O. plans. As for a BOL we're currently talking to a realator about getting rid of the place at Tell city that's about 60 miles from here and buying a place that is about 40 miles away has that is a little smaller than what we have at 65 acres. But this place already has a place that could support 3 campers/ motor homes,it has a septic system, good well water, but is on the power grid. So we'll need to consider some kind of either solar or generator set up for when the grid goes down.
    That sound like a well thought out plan.
    Friend did that...put up a steel pole barn, parked the camper by one door....and would run it in and out depending on how long he was planning to be away.

Solar set up on roof with battery array....a stand alone system hooked up to reverse the meter by tying on to the grid.

Number that stick in my mind was about 30K for around 15KW with inverters and batteries.

Good part....was ability to live there comfortably....then use the camper as a camper.... after a straw bale house was built.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-05-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That sound like a well thought out plan.
    Friend did that...put up a steel pole barn, parked the camper by one door....and would run it in and out depending on how long he was planning to be away.

Solar set up on roof with battery array....a stand alone system hooked up to reverse the meter by tying on to the grid.

Number that stick in my mind was about 30K for around 15KW with inverters and batteries.

Good part....was ability to live there comfortably....then use the camper as a camper.... after a straw bale house was built.
    Hunter.....our ultimate goal is to actually build a permanent home on the property we end up with. Been thinking a wide range of options from a traditional log home with a full basement with safe room/ shelter to a earth sheltered/ bermed home to a full underground home built into a hillside if one is available.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Funny you should mention that......
    That was thought about and actually purchased property on a south facing hill side......on a navigable river, with woods (firewood) and fields (gardens).....

Did a lot or research on "Earth Ship" bermed shelters south facing hillside dug outs, with all sorts of alternative energy methods.....Geo-thermal, solar, (passive and active)......solar/wind electrical ....both stand alone and grid tried.

Much of my research and ideas were because of an article in th1980's.....Mother Earth News....."My Mothers House"
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/green...e-zmaz83mazraw

Was and still am a big fan of the early "Homesteading" years of this magazine......(have all the issues up to about a year ago......)

Attended a MEN's work shop outside of Hendersonville, NC....and toured this house and all the other projects at the MEN's Eco-Village.

Funny part was ..where is was (closed down now) was just down the road from the WSF Jamboree in NC we attended in 2013....
    Talk about coming "Home"

Ended up with our Amish built log cabin....pictured in my avatar .........

We didn't have cash,.... didn't want another mortgage, ....nor was easy to get a mortgage on a non-tradition building project ..A little detail that gets missed.
    If you have the cash money, most projects can be built...solving problems along the way...not so with most lenders.

The guy (Dr.)...with the building, camper, and strawbale house.... was the first customer that was allowed to be grid tied by our Co-op...and turns out he was 1/2 mile away up on the ridge....Which I didn't konw till I was asking about it.

Seems all great minds work alike....LOL....
    Good luck on your project.....
    We have been working on ours for 25 years....
    We weren't Prepping for TEOTWAWKI back then....LOL... We were "Getting back to the land on a Homestead"
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-06-2017 at 08:29 PM.

I've ended up with a theory that a (a, not the) reason a lot of us want to be off the grid, homestead, collapse prep, apocalypse survival bunk, etc...is really because we just want to have more of our own hand in our home and life and how it operates - acquiring the stuff like power and water etc - doing it ourselves instead of having it done elsewhere by someone else, and it allows us to express that creative impulse and self-involvement. And so it's just plain fun...ideas like SHTF or EOTW, when someone says they might not be realistic possibilities, are really just excuses to do these things with the fact that it might not be necessary. It's one of the things we've robbed ourselves of with our modern ways.
    Last edited by WalkingTree; 03-08-2017 at 05:07 AM.

- William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTree View Post
    I've ended up with a theory that a (a, not the) reason a lot of us want to be off the grid, homestead, collapse prep, apocalypse survival bunk, etc...is really because we just want to have more of our own hand in our home and life and how it operates - acquiring the stuff like power and water etc - doing it ourselves instead of having it done elsewhere by someone else, and it allows us to express that creative impulse and self-involvement. And so it's just plain fun...ideas like SHTF or EOTW, when someone says they might not be realistic possibilities, are really just excuses to do these things with the fact that it might not be necessary. It's one of the things we've robbed ourselves of with our modern ways.
    That is spot on I think.....
    The 70's and 80's Homesteader is today's Prepper......where our parents...40'-50's did a lot of that stuff growing, gardens, farming foraging, sewing, making clothes, etc, etc....and all the things our grandparents did because it "was the season".

Our "Homestead" was more of a state of mind than a "Place'....but did lead us to buy, build and enjoy our "Homestead"...
    Call it what you want......BOL, Cottage, Hunting cabin, Summer Home.....(but not a Compound)....and have fun with it, all this time.