Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Communications System

I think I know the radios in the first pic. Ken does the portable system have the same or similar chanels as your trucks radios?
    Joe
    Red meat is good for you.Its the green furry meat you have to worry about.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    I think I know the radios in the first pic. Ken does the portable system have the same or similar chanels as your trucks radios?
    Yeah, Joe, that first pic is of the units you looked at in my truck.

The portables have at least 12 channels - some have 36. They're programmed for repeater frequencies on the odd channels with corresponding direct frequencies on the even ones. With the exception of a few specialized portables, the portable channel line-up is identical to the mobile line-up (whether UHF or VHF). However, the mobiles have at least 64 channels, so channels 13 and beyond are not available on all of the portables. The "extra" channels accomodate additional frequencies, including government frequencies for which we are licensed for demonstration or emergency use only. We can reprogram frequencies on any unit, portable or mobile, in just a couple of minutes by either cloning with another unit using built in programming, or by using a laptop computer.

All units, both portable and mobile, have scan, priority, and lock-out features, with selectable sub-audible tone. Some mobiles and portables have DVP and digtal encryption capability.
    Last edited by Ken; 08-16-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

I guess I'll need a dog assigned for that sub-audible tone thingie. I don't hear audible let alone sub-audible.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Fantastic communication setup!

Welcome, ikh. What not key yourself up over at the Introductions sections and communicate something about yourself? You can use this template if it's convenient.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=7813
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

All that equipment, and I had to track him down, to be sure he was OK. You'd think he could have checked in.

Now I know why I never had kids. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Blog Entries

Just added a few new toys to the system. We finished installing 5 new Motorola Quantar Repeaters at our main site a few days ago. Four are UHF units and one is a VHF. We did a bit of field testing today, and everything checks out 100%. We'll be looking into a couple of microwave systems and voting comparators for our satellite locations in the next couple of months. This stuff keeps getting smaller and smaller..........

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken; 10-28-2014 at 06:15 PM.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

All that is pretty cool.....I haven't know anyone with their own radio station and tower.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Daaaannng! Quite impressive. So do you lease out your equipment?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I assume you guys are part of ARES or RACES for your region? That's an amazing installation center. I'm always impressed by the tecs that work that stuff. Most folks don't realize how dangerous RF and Microwave is.

What license service does this require ?
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    All that is pretty cool.....I haven't know anyone with their own radio station and tower.
    You're welcome to come over and climb the tower any time you want, hunter! (Just sign the waivers, LOL.) The view from the top of our tower is quite impressive. Our base elevation is 215', so you'll be looking around from almost 500' above sea level in a coastal area. On a clear day, our view includes New Bedford, MA, sections of upper Cape Cod, the Elizabeth Islands, the Blue Hills south and west of Boston, the Atlantic coast, and Providence and Newport, R.I. We really should put a web-cam up there.

From a technical perspective, we have exceptional two-way coverage at this elevation, even using portables. On the down side, this location has also made our FCC license coordination - which I've done a lot of over the years - a nightmare due to channel loading and ever increasing spectrum management regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Daaaannng! Quite impressive. So do you lease out your equipment?
    We lease out tower space, shelter space, equipment, and/or air time to a number of private and business concerns and a few government agencies. A lot of our business is with the major cell phone carriers. All of the equipment in the pics in this thread is used primarily by us. I have 4 mobiles and a dozen portables for family use as necessary, but we generally rely on our cell phones, just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I assume you guys are part of ARES or RACES for your region? That's an amazing installation center. I'm always impressed by the tecs that work that stuff. Most folks don't realize how dangerous RF and Microwave is.
    We were part of RACES several years ago, including the time when I was a local EMA Director. Unfortunately, we found that government and commercial frequencies (and licensing requirements) accommodated our local needs much more than the amateur bands did, so we gradually converted our amateur equipment to government/commercial in the 1980's. We had extended an invite for free tower space to the local amateur clubs, but we require that all on-site tower work be done by a leading industry company that we are contracted with for safety reasons (the RF and Microwave dangers you mentioned) and in order to avoid interference and other technical problems from arising. Unfortunately, that gets very expensive and somewhat cost prohibitive in many instances, especially for the amateur clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    What license service does this require ?
    We have dozens of licenses. Most are commercial repeater and direct 2-way licenses, but we also have Developmental, Experimental, and Demonstration Licenses. We have the necessary equipment and licensing to operate on virtually all frequencies and bands used for radio communications [VHF Low Band (25 MHz - 50 MHz), VHF High Band (136 MHz - 174 MHz), UHF Band (403 MHz - 512 MHz), and 800/900 MHz Bands] within the parameters of our licenses, PROVIDED that we don't unduly interfere with other licensed entities.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Yeah, thanks.......I'll pass, hard to see anything when both eyes are closed and hands, arms, and leg in-bedded into the steel.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

We have dozens of licenses. Most are commercial repeater and direct 2-way licenses, but we also have Developmental, Experimental, and Demonstration Licenses. We have the necessary equipment and licensing to operate on virtually all frequencies and bands used for radio communications [VHF Low Band (25 MHz - 50 MHz), VHF High Band (136 MHz - 174 MHz), UHF Band (403 MHz - 512 MHz), and 800/900 MHz Bands] within the parameters of our licenses, PROVIDED that we don't unduly interfere with other licensed entities.
    Cool, sounds like you got it all covered ! I love this radio stuff, been a licensed amateur since 1995, always building and experimenting with it. But my true love in it is low powered (QRP) HF operation. Got complete stations that would fit in a large coat pocket and work the world running on an 8 pack of AA batteries !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Cool, sounds like you got it all covered ! I love this radio stuff, been a licensed amateur since 1995, always building and experimenting with it. But my true love in it is low powered (QRP) HF operation. Got complete stations that would fit in a large coat pocket and work the world running on an 8 pack of AA batteries !
    KA1BGH - I regret not renewing it 35 years ago.
    Last edited by Ken; 10-31-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: TRANSPOSED LETTERS - IT'S BEEN A WHILE, LOL
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark