Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Types of Fires - Vertical vs. Horizontal

Default Types of Fires - Vertical vs. Horizontal

I don't think I've seen any discussion on this either on the forum or on the net in general so I thought I'd do a quick post. There is nothing scientific in this. It's just my observations.

There are basically two types of fires you can build in the woods. Vertical and Horizontal. Both have a proper place and both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm not going to go into the mechanics of building them. Rather, I want to talk about when they should be used and which is best under what conditions. If you are new to fire building, perhaps this will help.

Vertical Fires:

Probably the best example of a vertical fire is a teepee or tipi fire.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I'm sure we've all built this fire. It's a pretty reliable standby and a method that is taught in scouting.

Characteristics:

A vertical fire will produce tall flames that will draw oxygen in at the bottom of the fire. This produces a very hot fire and a very quick burning fire.

Uses:

Since this method produces a very hot fire, vertical fires are great for heat. It's a nice fire to get you warm quickly. It also produces coals very quickly for cooking although those coals will burn up if you don't pull them out. Since it's a hot fire it can also dry damp wood placed on the outside. It can also be a good night time signal fire since the flames tend to be high.

Advantages:

Catches quickly when wood is dry if built correctly.
    Nearly smokeless when burning.
    Produces a lot of light.
    Produces a lot of heat quickly.
    Produces hot coals for cooking quickly.
    Can be used to dry damp wood.

Disadvantages:

Burns quickly unless large.
    Requires a lot of wood to keep going.
    Loses coals quickly (unless banked) once it burns down.
    Does not produce charcoal since the fire is very hot.
    Hard to maintain the vertical fire. It tends to collapse once it starts burning.

Examples:

Teepee
    Lean To
    Council

Horizontal Fires:

A great example of a horizontal fire is the pyramid fire.

This is another type of fire we've probably all built at one time or another.

Characteristics:

This fire burns from the top down. Since air flow is more restricted in a horizontal fire it tends to burn much slower than a vertical fire.

Uses:

Horizontal fires can be used for cooking (parallel or A-frame) because they produce more charcoal and longer lasting coals. They tend to produce more smoke so they are a good day time signal fire.

Advantages:

They can burn a very long time with little attention.
    Can ignite progressively larger logs.
    Produces good coals and charcoal.
    Can store coals/embers all night without being banked.
    Easy to maintain shape if adding more wood.

Disadvantages:

Can be difficult to start.
    Requires drier wood or some other starter such as fatwood.
    Produces more smoke.
    Difficult to use damp wood.

Examples:

A - Frame
    Parallel
    Star
    Trench

One fire type that I will mention is a combination of both the vertical and horizontal. That's the log cabin fire.

You basically have a horizontal fire built around a vertical fire. You can start the log cabin fire very quickly and, because of the gaps between the logs, it tends to burn hot.

That's it. I don't know if it helps or not but that will give you some characteristics of a vertical and a horizontal type of fire. Both have their place and one is only better than the other depending on what you want the fire to do.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'll use a vertical fire for better lighting. A stick or two stuck in the middle of the fire upright will give you a torch.

It will better support a vertical fire, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I use the horizontal or as we call it stacked pit, for me its easier to cook over and I have found it burns hotter and holds the heat better and centers it more evenly.
    Just my opinion.
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Thanks for the post. I have used both types of fires. I guess was intuitive about it. But is always good to see an explaination of them
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Holy Cow! there is more than one way to build a fire? I have been doing it exactly like Dad showed me some 30 yrs. ago. and now this! Could just be another one of Ricks bad jokes!

Seriously, I have only ever built fires one way (teepee). I have seen the horizontal stack and wondered if there was any application where it would be better. Hmmmm? Now I have to give it a try!
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 10-26-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I subscribe to the "set the prairie on fire" type. Seriously though, this is a superb thread. You break down the differences so that even I can understand it. Thanks. (Crash: No need to comment.)
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I use both types depending on situation and utility. In addition I use a pit fire for cooking and for it's ability to retain coals through the night, and the speed for putting it out; just toss your dirt from the pit back on top. It's also safer so we don't "light the whole prarie on fire" lol. the dirt will reflect heat into the fire. I typically start off with vertical, progressing towards horizontal to dry out anything wet and provide a blind so light doesn't reveal my location. It's also easy to bank coals under your cooking rock, grill, whatever, without sacrificing the coals that are keeping the fire going.
    good post Rick, thanks for sharing.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Old GI View Post
    (Crash: No need to comment.)
    But - but - but - oh, OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I agree with 'your-comforting-company' in using a pit, for any fire as its just safe or the use of rocks as a fire ring in my opinion. I usually dig it out about 6 to 10 inches and build a berm wth the dirt (which hardens a bit as the fire burns) and stack the fire wood inside the pit, easy for cooking and heat, if it is cold I build a reflector wall behind and to the sides to throw the heat towards my sleeping area.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

A teepee fire is easy to start, flames naturally go up, then you can "collapse" the teepee, creating a good center hot spot to build a "log cabin or horizontal fire.

Good post, thanks, Rick for pointing out the advantages and characteristics of these types.

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

I favor the pit/banked sod/dirt, fire as well, for cooking , banking at night, and ease of putting out.

If a pit isn't used, two fair sized logs are laid horizontally * to 10" apart, a Teepee fire on the inside, aids in cooking and as the side log start can be rolled in to keep burning.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just don't practice it in your kitchen.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I use the "just throw stuff on top" type fire. Once I get a flame, I pile it on.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

It it's really nasty, I just find a dry dead tree, toss a couple of road flares around the base....starts the tree on fire and keeps getting shorter as it sinks into the fire as it burns down.....self feeding fire.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just don't practice it in your kitchen.
    Duh everyone knows to practice fire building in the bathroom
    not the kitchen thats for people that just don't know
    any better
    Soon the whole world will be silky smooth

practice on the back portch....lots of good ventilation....oopsey, is that MY Roof on fire?

http://thefemalesurvivalist.blogspot.com

In the end you find no one wins, and the race was only with yourself.

When I first started working outside I worked with a guy that I had gone to school with. To say there was something wrong with him was putting it pretty mildly. When he was a kid he caught a mouse, dunked it in gasoline and set it on fire. The mouse ran inside their garage and set the garage on fire. Lots of damage before the fire department put it out.

The next summer he caught a bird, dunked it in gasoline and set it on fire. It flew as far as the garage roof where it collapsed. The shingles caught fire from the burning bird corpse and this time the garage burned down before the fire department could get there. Shingles burn pretty good once you get them lit.

While it wasn't it the yearbook he was secretly voted most likely to become a serial killer. True story...all of it.

I use a horizontal fire for cooking but for sitting around the campfire at night, I like a vertical fire as it burns brighter.

I really think the "log cabin fire" was invented for the BSA by leaders that were wanting to keep ya busy, while they slipped off for a smoke.

Although a large version 6 footer or better.... was used pretty often for a bon fire (is that French?, Bon, as in mighty fine?).....anyway seem to be the set of choice at council fires.