Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival - Retro Style

Default Survival - Retro Style

Found this cool how to Survival video from 1954. I only managed to watch a few minutes of it because I was at work, but it was too funny.
    http://www.nfb.ca/film/survival_in_the_bush/

Funny how some good advice never changes

Well, I learned I need to take the woodsman with me where every I go. He's pretty good, doesn't say much and carries the ax. Works for me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I knew there was a reason I carry an axe.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

OMG! We actually had that film at SERE and showed it during cold weather survival classes.
    I know what hunts you.

That was one heck of a canoe that ole Angus built.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Angus
    The one survival tool we shouldn't be without.
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Don't know if he's still around, but if he is, I'll bet we could all learn a lot from Mr Baptiste.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    That was one heck of a canoe that ole Angus built.

WOW! Sure was.

An axe and a brain, all one needs to survive.

Currently watching Alone in the Wilderness about Dick Proeneke. A few simple tools and a brain is all he had.

With Angus and Dick they both had some amazing skills and a good head. We can go out and buy all kinds of gear and prepare our "bug out" kits, but the tool we need the most is knowledge. What we are calling survival, others called living for many many years.

Banned

The cabin Dick Proeneke built in that movie and lived in for decades is still standing and now used by park rangers. At Least that is what someone on a traditional archer website reported.

Red Lake, Spot on. It is strange to me that if you have more than a month worth of food available, you are "stockpiling", or a "survivalist", (ok, you caught me. When did "survivalism" become bad?) when our great-grandfathers and such were "saving for the rainy day". I think society has gone so soft that people think its a catastrophe when their Ipod battery dies, or they don't get "five bars" on their phone. If everyone is not being as weak as they are, and not depending on others to spoon feed them, they get uncomfortable. I suppose we won't be a part of that "community". Dare to be independent!
    Last edited by SnipAR-10; 03-19-2009 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Spelling stinks today too.

I agree wholeheartedly. Ooops. Gotta go. The battery is low on my laptop.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierarcher View Post
    The cabin Dick Proeneke built in that movie and lived in for decades is still standing and now used by park rangers. At Least that is what someone on a traditional archer website reported.
    I don't think rangers use his cabin all the time but I'm sure they use it if they have to be in the area. The park agreed to keep up the cabin after Dick died. (I have the video.)

Quote Originally Posted by SnipAR-10 View Post
    I think society has gone so soft that people think its a catastrophe when their Ipod battery dies, or they don't get "five bars" on their phone. If everyone is not being as weak as they are, and not depending on others to spoon feed them, they get uncomfortable.
    My girlfriend is one of those. We had a power outage during a rain storm. For seven hours all I heard was, "I'm bored, there's no TV or computer...". My response was, "It could be worse, It could be 10 below outside with no power." After a couple of hours of her mouth I started to go outside to watch the lightning, She started to whine about I was going to leave her in the house by herself.

Some people are pathetic.
    Surviving the Fellini Kroger since 1993

Thats an awesome website, lots of great videos
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    Thats an awesome website, lots of great videos
    The one on the Cree Hunters is very cool too. Also the one called Across the Arctic Ungava.

I watched ole Angus Baptiste again today. I'll have to look at the others as well. Thanks again Red Lake.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Watching a lightening storm is one of those things I enjoy. Had one here yesterday, not too big, not very much lightening, but nice rumbles. Most of the people I've known in the past run inside and hide when it rains. I'd rather sit on my porch, or at least sit in my bedroom with my window open and watch. There's something about lightening, and fire that I see as "Nature's television".

Quote Originally Posted by doren View Post
    My girlfriend is one of those. We had a power outage during a rain storm. For seven hours all I heard was, "I'm bored, there's no TV or computer...". My response was, "It could be worse, It could be 10 below outside with no power." After a couple of hours of her mouth I started to go outside to watch the lightning, She started to whine about I was going to leave her in the house by herself.

Some people are pathetic.

Wow, that is one cool site, reminds me of the sort of stuff I watched as a kid. One of my favorites back then was called "Passport 8" on PBS. I've searched for it before but have'nt found anything. Anyone remember this show?