Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to learn "MORE" about Caching.......Ideas.....?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hunter63, I don't know how large your property is. One idea is finding a thick overgrowth area away from your existing structures. Even take every old salvaged boards and building a falling in shack to hide caches. I had a lot of 120 MM ammo cans full of supplies, waiting for deployment and I hid them in an old doghouse, and covered with old straw.

My basic starting point is: I assume I return home and my cabin is looted, or people are living in it. I don't want all my eggs in one basket.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SD, what is your plan with all this stuff if you end up not using it and say you get ill or are physically unable to haul it out again at some point? I always wonder about that. We have a friend who's also caching everything from food to propane and gas to nails and now even window panes in the woods. Is all that fuel just going to seep out of rusty barrels into the ground at some point or what's the deal with the stuff ten years down the road? Or in case of an accident or sudden death?
    Actions speak louder than words

Banned
    Blog Entries

Wildwoman, I don't have an answer for that question, sorry.

Blog Entries

Is it something you'll be planning for, though? It would be a real shame if those of us who value the wilderness we live in so much end up being the people who pollute the ground and pristine water with gallons of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Hunter63, I don't know how large your property is. One idea is finding a thick overgrowth area away from your existing structures. Even take every old salvaged boards and building a falling in shack to hide caches. I had a lot of 120 MM ammo cans full of supplies, waiting for deployment and I hid them in an old doghouse, and covered with old straw.

My basic starting point is: I assume I return home and my cabin is looted, or people are living in it. I don't want all my eggs in one basket.
    I agree with the 'deploy your assets"...angle...it would be very possible that "The Place" might be occupied is something(?) were to happen, when I arrive.

There is 16 acres here, and a drum in one of the ravines would be a thought as well as a shack, falling down type.

Thought about this since seeing the episode of Flying Alaska, when they visited Emmo up above the arctic circle....he had a tent all set up in case of fire....hadn't thought about it till then.

I guess In't would worry about this stuff if something was to happen to me....although stashing old worn out gear that you don't care about isn't a real good idea, as you would need to depend on it.......Someting to think about.

DW dragged all the old dishes, pans and such to the little trailer....was getting pretty full, so i asked her about it...she says " if it get stolen I don't care...as it isn't much good anway'.....I guess I question this logic as we needed to use it.

Hummmmm
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-24-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Yes that is them, I pay $20.00 each. I need about five more.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

most of my early caches were 5 gal pails

now i'm using most anything i can find, guerilla caches one could say

just about all of my caches lately have been metal / plastic toolboxes ( all used - bought cheap or picked from someone else's garbage )
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

Sourdough - how are you marking (so you can find them again) all of your cache locations? Map? GPS? Memory that could become faulty at some point?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Sourdough - how are you marking (so you can find them again) all of your cache locations? Map? GPS? Memory that could become faulty at some point?
    At this point: Memory. However this project seems to have evolved rapidly, I am now moving assets to multiple wagon wheel type configurations. With a single 55 Gal. Drum as the hub and 120 MM cans as outer spokes. Originally the cabin was the "HUB".

For you guys that cache this stuff are you keeping a written log for someone else in case something happens to you? I wonder how many caches are out there hidden, forgotten, because the owner died and no one knew they were out there and/or where they were.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

When I can't bury my cache, what I do is pile rocks on it and make it look like part of an old rock wall.
    I know what hunts you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I wonder how many caches are out there hidden, forgotten, because the owner died and no one knew they were out there and/or where they were.
    I think also the sheer effort of hauling the stuff out again from a remote or semi-remote location would probably lead quite a few chachers to keep procrastinating until they simply can't be bothered anymore to pick it up. Plus the thought "oh, it'll come in handy one day!" - it's a common enough phenomenon around many people's yards (ours included). Not saying that that's SD's attitude.
    But I really hope that all you people who cache stuff out in the bush figure out some gear retrieval plan, especially when it comes to plastic, glass, fuel and oil. All those animals and plants in your chosen bug out location deserve the respect of not being left with a toxic mess, IMHO. At the very least, include it in your will.

There is one ravine that was a dump, had a kid hump 3 loads of metal out last summer.....but still a bunch left, thinking a 'camp in a can' located in that area.
    I'm also thinking not keeping everything in one drum....like the wagon wheel idea, that's why I was asking about ammo cans....

It's too bad the plant I used to work at is closed down.......we had a bunch of "hazard drums, that were clean, had a hard plastic liner, w sealable top, that a normal 55 gal drum would drop into, then seal it up......They were for hazardous waste, lasttime I saw them there were about 50 stacked up ready to go.

Oh well, the whole palce is a parking lot now....but they would have been very secure.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-24-2012 at 06:29 PM.

this is something that i used to do as part of my old lifestyle in the states, there are still 7 caches set up in one perticular state that are now over 20 yrs old.
    Up here i also do it, maybe for the same reason, but still as a back up, i have 10 45 gallon drums that i get for free from work, and also 5 gallon food pails from the cafe at work, i have also experimented with canvas tarps for my non food items and they are just lightly buried in out of the way spots.
    As far as folks finding these items, i must admit in some cases that possibility does exsist, but also a good working knowledge of most bush folks is that they do not go far off trail or away from quads or snow machines, bury something in thick vegetation sucks as junipers and i would hazard a guess that they will never e found.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

You are conveniently caching picks and shovels to uncache your caches, right? Are folks at the hardware store asking if you lost another shovel?

I think it's kinda' important the have them nearby depending how deep you're going.

Let me get this straight...once you cache a cache you have to have tools in case you have to uncache the cache that you cached? Sounds too much like golf to me. I had the ball. Why the he## would I hit it away just to go get it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Let me get this straight...once you cache a cache you have to have tools in case you have to uncache the cache that you cached? Sounds too much like golf to me. I had the ball. Why the he## would I hit it away just to go get it?
    It's hard enough to remember where you buried all your nuts. It's even harder to remember to grab a shovel from somewhere when it's time to move fast and silent to gather your nuts. I'm not a badger, I'd break a nail digging out a cache with my hands.

Perhaps one of Sourdough's Grizzlies is trained to fetch goodies out of the ground.

Had a dog that thought the same way....retrevied a golf ball about a dozen times, then ran home from the park and was waiting on the front steps...ball between his paws.
    Look on his face said, "If you just gonna keep hitting the stupid thing when I bring it back....good luck with that next time."

Now back on subject, yeah, I think some sort of a map and directions in a safe deposit box would be in order,or trusted friend.... along with will, and other impoortant papers....also include conbinations of safes if they are used.

When the BIL passed away, everyone was looking for the combination of his gun safe.
    He had given me a copy (we were hunting buddies, and pretty close), but there was more to it than just a list of numbers......I knew where he bought it and a call to the store confirmed the order and direction that the number need to be dialed....
    Those directions are all the same on that brand.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

When you are urban, suburban, or even rural in most of the lower 48 east of the Mississippi, those safe deposit boxes become you main cache. It is also not unusual here to have people renting storage units for keeping emergency disaster supplies in more than one location.

Our main contengency is weather related and having a tornado or flood take out more than one location is very unlikely.

I was considering a small cache in the big hollow tree behind the house but the elves claimed squatters rights.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?