Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in the woods/The Bare Wilderness Numptys!

I don't want to come across as negative, but I think these guys are getting in way over their head.

I just did a just a little, you?

And yeah it is over their heads but they aren't making you do it, they have the guts themselves. When they get back I will want to hear everything they did, kinda live vicariously through them. They should keep a log so they remember it better.

THERE WILL BE TWO OF THEM!!! They will be able to do things that one person could only dream of attempting. like having one person work on shelter while the other guy AT THE SAME TIME WILL BE LIGHTING THE FIRE and cooking the squirrel they smacked on their way out.

food is easier with two ppl, you can double team rabbits and squirrels and water fowl, even fish!

I think it will be tough for them, but they can handle 30 DAYS on "tough" as long as they are also on "careful". It's possible to go weeks without food, but I would bet on them getting some. They can learn to make a good shelter easy enough, and fire without matches, boil water in anything that can hold it and some things that can't!

All in all I like the idea, whatever ridicule I get for it. The only problem I see is actually if one or both of them get hurt how are they gonna let someone know to save their butts?
    Last edited by spiritman; 08-16-2007 at 05:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by volwest View Post
    Have you guys visited their site ?
    I have, Their site explains that neither of these two guys have had any survival training and they're leaving everything at home, including their brains, except for their clothes, knives, and obviously their web-cam.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Enabling!

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
    It's something they are excited about, and if they really are gonna do it then they had better do a good job of it. We aren't gonna make them NOT go sarge, so we should do all we can to help. I think you could give them some really good advice and they are going to need it. They had better post us as a source! lol but seriously they ARE actively trying to prepare, thats a good sign. It's not like they are my age and ADD with A $1000 knife and think they are invincible. We could AT LEAST give advice about what cloths and knives, and to have some way to make an sos signal other than fire for someone watching for it.

Do you have any of your constructive advice? I am interested in what you would tell them.
    I would tell them to stay home until they have taken survival training! Spiritman I am truly dissapointed in you! Survival is not some game or new extreme sport to play on days you are bored with life in general. IT IS A MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH!!! By encouraging them you are, in a way, enabling them; this makes you somewhat responsible should anything happen to them.
    Here's another fact that you've obviously overlooked. Since these guys, by their own admission on their web-site are "know-nothing nimrods", the odds of them getting into trouble and needing rescue are greatly increased. If RickSAR is lurking about maybe he'll read this and join in; but as any SAR guy can tell you, not only does it cost a lot of $$$ to rescue people, sometimes rescue people lose their lives in the process. For people to knowingly place themselves in this situation is reckless, foolish, inconsiderate, & immature to say the least, no matter how old they are! I would prefer NOT to be given any credit on this, thank you very much!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 08-16-2007 at 09:36 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default uh yeah

I don't know where in the wilds of northern Manitoba exactly you're going there Adrian, but it's about as wild as it gets. Ask Marcraft, he lives there, I grew up there. People can, and often do, die from hypothermia in northern Manitoba in October. Let me repeat that...they die.The thing about being dead is it's so hard to get over. You don't know what you're doing, learn first. SOE...guns are for pussies? I'd like to see you go toe to toe with a black bear. Every resource is exactly that, a resource, if these guys want to run off into the wilds to check out their testosterone, I think maybe they should try something really close to home first.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Default my thoughts

are with the guys who have to go out and drag these guys sorry butts or carcasses back out of the wilds of Northern Manitoba. Every helicopter ride is a risk in that part of the world.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Unhappy In agreement here!

Jon Krakauer, author of the book: "Into Thin Air", which became a TV movie and is being redone, BTW; also wrote a book titled "Into the Wild". It's a fascinating story about how a young man, inspired by Jack London, went out into the wilds of Alaska with nothing but the clothes on his back and a bag of parched corn...his lifeless corpse was discovered at his campsite months later. However this man obviously suffered from a diminished mental capacity! Awhile back three mountain climbers tried to summit Mt. Denali, I believe it was, forsaking most of their equipment. These three guys were very experienced climbers. Rescue teams found the body of one of the men in a snow cave and no trace of the other two. The motto is: "BE PREPARED"! Even the simplest Boy Scout knows that one!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Default This is pretty upsetting guys, talk about disapointing...

Look guys, even though it is a wild idea, we aren't going to persuade them from going. So If you guys DON'T want to pitch in and help, WHEN YOU COULD ACTUALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE NOW, fine sit back and lay off them. But that's disappointing Sarge. You really could help these guys out but They may have been driven away already, good job

Also, if you read their website you will see that they ARE training, and that's what their web cam is for, not for bringing with, thats ridiculous. They have MONTHS to prepare and show us how they are doing as they learn.

As for them being know nothing nimrods. They don't have any SURVIVAL training! You know, the 72-hours-to-get-out-or-get-found crap! Not a lack of experience in the woods. They both know how to find animals to eat, they want to know about other available food sources.

For once we can teach someone who REALLY needs it NOW, and all you do is say not to enable them. It's pretty sad your not willing to help out. Yeah lets just sit back and let them die, let's try out this not being responsible thing! That's something to be proud of! I can see it now, what it'll be like in November... "look at those guys that died! They even asked me for help once. HA HA HA I could've shared some simple info right there that would've helped them out but I didn't want to be responsible for their deaths. I sure told THEM what's what!"

We can do that show! Ya know the one where we go back and show what they SHOULD HAVE DONE instead of telling them something now that could save their lives! We could make a ton of money on their tragedy! Too bad they have to screw up for us to benefit, but collateral damage is inevitable...

These guys could succeed and I want to give them some help that they are ASKING FOR! We can step up and help out or sit back and watch as they die. Do YOU realize how serious this could really get? They could die from the simplest thing they don't know. things that you guys do. You guys who have more experience than I do know that it is possible for ppl to survive, and that knowledge is key. You could be killing them by not taking some responsibility.

What are you even here for? Isn't there a thread about this? Doesn't it involve learning usually? Or Being ready for when tshtf at teotwawki? Extreme cases no? Well this is something you fogies could be good for.

This is ridiculous, is this all the the 'wolf pack' has to offer? We sit back and dissect what could be a success? GO F*CK*NG FIGURE!

It is a poorly thought out plan and counting on advice from some anonamus advice off the enternet show they need to get some forgiving experience before they take the plunge to the big leagues. That guy in Alaska had fod but died of malnutrition because he was eating the wrong tubars.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down And your point is?

Look guys, even though it is a wild idea, we aren't going to persuade them from going. So If you guys DON'T want to pitch in and help, WHEN YOU COULD ACTUALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE NOW, fine sit back and lay off them. But that's disappointing Sarge. You really could help these guys out but They may have been driven away already, good job

Also, if you read their website you will see that they ARE training, and that's what their web cam is for, not for bringing with, thats ridiculous. They have MONTHS to prepare and show us how they are doing as they learn.

As for them being know nothing nimrods. They don't have any SURVIVAL training! You know, the 72-hours-to-get-out-or-get-found crap! Not a lack of experience in the woods. They both know how to find animals to eat, they want to know about other available food sources.

For once we can teach someone who REALLY needs it NOW, and all you do is say not to enable them. It's pretty sad your not willing to help out. Yeah lets just sit back and let them die, let's try out this not being responsible thing! That's something to be proud of! I can see it now, what it'll be like in November... "look at those guys that died! They even asked me for help once. HA HA HA I could've shared some simple info right there that would've helped them out but I didn't want to be responsible for their deaths. I sure told THEM what's what!"

We can do that show! Ya know the one where we go back and show what they SHOULD HAVE DONE instead of telling them something now that could save their lives! We could make a ton of money on their tragedy! Too bad they have to screw up for us to benefit, but collateral damage is inevitable...

These guys could succeed and I want to give them some help that they are ASKING FOR! We can step up and help out or sit back and watch as they die. Do YOU realize how serious this could really get? They could die from the simplest thing they don't know. things that you guys do. You guys who have more experience than I do know that it is possible for ppl to survive, and that knowledge is key. You could be killing them by not taking some responsibility.

What are you even here for? Isn't there a thread about this? Doesn't it involve learning usually? Or Being ready for when tshtf at teotwawki? Extreme cases no? Well this is something you fogies could be good for.

This is ridiculous, is this all the the 'wolf pack' has to offer? We sit back and dissect what could be a success? GO F*CK*NG FIGURE!
    Knock it off dude! Your getting angry over something silly! I will not, absolutely refuse to enable someone to go out and not only endanger their lives, the lives of the SAR people that very well may have to go out and look for them, but also the poor example that they're setting for easily-impressed people like yourself! If you don't like my opinions, don't ask for them. I gave them the best advice that I could..."Learn from the Experts before you go!" Any Survival instructor would tell them the same thing. Listen to me Spiritman, I can't say this too many times: "Survival is NOT fun and games; it's literally life or death!" It's totally irresponsible to deliberately put yourself in the face of danger! I visited their web-site and have a new title for it:" 2 guys, 2 knives, 0 brains!" If we've run them off it's only because we didn't tell them what they were hoping to hear. And "72 hour survival" is NOT crap dawg. If I've offended you then live with it, survive it!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Knock it off dude! Your getting angry over something silly! I will not, absolutely refuse to enable someone to go out and not only endanger their lives, the lives of the SAR people that very well may have to go out and look for them, but also the poor example that they're setting for easily-impressed people like yourself!
    lol who says someone won't know exactly where they will be? They don't want to die just as much as you don't want to help them out. Which you probably already have btw.

And I'm NOT going to do this, even though I would love to. I can't afford to be away from home for that long. And I would bring a bunch of things if I was going for a month. That they are only bringing a knife is a bit over the top.

If you don't like my opinions, don't ask for them. I gave them the best advice that I could..."Learn from the Experts before you go!" Any Survival instructor would tell them the same thing.
    I DO like your opinion, and I have it now thanks. In this case I do think it's good advice, but why not give them some other tips? If you have already given all the advice you can, fine but I really doubt it.

That's what they were asking for, so they can be as prepared as possible. They haven't gotten any professional survival training. So what? Can't learn on their own? They are going to a specific area, so they can focus what they learn about. They can train with locals who know the area.

Listen to me Spiritman, I can't say this too many times: "Survival is NOT fun and games; it's literally life or death!" It's totally irresponsible to deliberately put yourself in the face of danger!
    And yet we all like survival shows anyways...

I visited their web-site and have a new title for it:" 2 guys, 2 knives, 0 brains!" If we've run them off it's only because we didn't tell them what they were hoping to hear. And "72 hour survival" is NOT crap dawg. If I've offended you then live with it, survive it!
    Didn't actually mean crap, I refer to everything I don't want to go into detail about as 'crap'. I have a 72 hour kit a lot like one of the ones in 98.6 degrees.

Even if they don't post anything anymore, they can still read what we have posted and be getting your advice.

Default Spiritman, partner, it's like this

Telling them how ridiculous their plan is...was helping. I don't think they should not go, I think they should learn something about the environment and what they need to do and go prepared. If I see someone teetering on the edge of a bridge I'm not going to make the assumption "well, I can't talk you out of jumping so I might as well sit back and watch you splatter"

Not trying to pick on you, but really that guy's plan is no plan.

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    Telling them how ridiculous their plan is...was helping. I don't think they should not go, I think they should learn something about the environment and what they need to do and go prepared. If I see someone teetering on the edge of a bridge I'm not going to make the assumption "well, I can't talk you out of jumping so I might as well sit back and watch you splatter"

Not trying to pick on you, but really that guy's plan is no plan.
    Don't worry nobody seems like they are picking on me, I just think we could help. it would be like giving your jumper a parachute so they enjoy the whole ride and can live to jump again. Maybe with their own parachute.

Who knows, maybe someone could get them to bring more gear, but i don't think they would change their minds. They DID ask for food tips though so they can check out the related threads.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up One step more.

lol who says someone won't know exactly where they will be? They don't want to die just as much as you don't want to help them out. Which you probably already have btw.

And I'm NOT going to do this, even though I would love to. I can't afford to be away from home for that long. And I would bring a bunch of things if I was going for a month. That they are only bringing a knife is a bit over the top.

I DO like your opinion, and I have it now thanks. In this case I do think it's good advice, but why not give them some other tips? If you have already given all the advice you can, fine but I really doubt it.

That's what they were asking for, so they can be as prepared as possible. They haven't gotten any professional survival training. So what? Can't learn on their own? They are going to a specific area, so they can focus what they learn about. They can train with locals who know the area.

And yet we all like survival shows anyways...

Didn't actually mean crap, I refer to everything I don't want to go into detail about as 'crap'. I have a 72 hour kit a lot like one of the ones in 98.6 degrees.

Even if they don't post anything anymore, they can still read what we have posted and be getting your advice.
    What you've posted here makes me feel better dude, however I've gone one step further and e-mailed my opinions to Adrian directly. Guess I'm not the "By and shyful" type huh?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Having trained the RCMP in Northern Manitoba a number of years ago in search and rescue, in my experience you will probably will meet some of my students after a very short time - 30 days or less if you try this using your list.

If you really are considering this adventure I would suggest you take a month and try it. I would bet your list would totally change after that.

If you do try it I would strongly suggest you invest (or rent) a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) from a sporting goods outlet (they are approved in Canada as well as the US). Cost is somewhere between $600 to $1,000. If some of my friends have to look for you the PLB will give them a good location where to look (within a few miles or so depending if you have a gps built in or not) - providing you activate it.

A new Beacon system is going on line in November that is Private. It is also satellite based and is projected to cost $149 plus about $9 per month. It has a number of options such as it you can send a message to your friends and family by email that you are OK and your location. It also will send your location every 5 min as you travel (for 24 hours then you have to reset it) plus a 911 emergency call button.

Rick G

www.SearchAndRescueTraining.com
    Last edited by Rick-SAR; 08-16-2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: forget the www. in web address

I thought this was a survival site! What do i need all these thing you seggest for.
    The leatherman tool- I have a knife, the other tools can be made out of wood or bone, the saw would be handy but not nessary.
    Paracord- Rope can be made from many plants like cattails or stinging nettle
    Flint striker- I have been quite succesesful at lighting a fire with my knife and a rock
    Bottle of antiseptic- For cuts and burns i can use the sap from the blisters of a white spruce tree. Mix it with cattail fluff and i have a bandaid
    Army canteen- We can make containers from folded birch bark
    * Talcom powder (you know, baby powder). Stops you from getting trench foot.- I have had trench foot and it sucks! but you can make an atiseptic soap from wood ash, animal fat and pine needles. This will stop it.
    two pairs of cloths- that would be nice but if you have a shelter you can take off your clothes and dry them by the fire
    Boomerang- how about making a rabbit stick with my knife
    Kuhkuri (gurkha blade)- I will have a knife
    A roll of wire (for snares etc)- Wire would be nice but you can make snares from pine roots. We have also had some luck with deadfall traps
    My 75L rucksack- I wont have anything to put in it.

I know it wont be easy but others have walked into the bush with nothing and survived

I thank you for your suggestions but i think i can do it!

Blog Entries

What kind of knife you have? I make fires with the back of my knife but it's a home made out of an old file. Most modern manuf. knives don't spark due to low carbon in the steel.

Since you are new here, you don't know me, my idea of a flint striker is a piece of rock and piece of steel. Usually my knife.

You seem to know more than you are letting on from your first post.

Good luck.

Have you guys visited their site ?

I did. It's ****ing ugly.
    They really need to get someone good to do their site

Hi FVR

Thanks for your response. I have an Ontario Knife which is similar to a Ka-bar, It is made from 1095 High carbon steel. I started this project im May and have spent alot of time trying to learn as much as i can. It is a dream of mine to do this, and will do everything i can to make it a sucess. I am interested in learning more because a month is a long time to eat the same thing everyday.

Hi SEO

What is the problem with my site? I would like to make it better if you have some ideas.