Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domestic surveillance

Default Domestic surveillance

Among the taxes, conspiracy theories, anti-gun movements, censorship, hoarding laws, etc. it now appears you REALLY do have to worry about the NSA snooping;

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...ustopnewsearly
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

The only good thing about this. They increase the "volume" of information and it is added to the pile of other "undigested" information, so you do still have a certain anonymity. Down side, real important stuff is being ignored due to the volume. A bit more accountability is need for the collectors.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

I disagree. With a simple text manipulation program like perl I can sift hundreds of gigs of data in a very short period of time. I understand the amount of data they are pulling in is gargantuan, probably 100's of Terabytes if not more, so with today's technology sifting the data for a list of keywords and phrases, even "hack speak" and other forms of code can easily be picked out of the millions of people being monitored and set off a flag, which then passes that "account" over to the guys who give greater scrutiny to individuals. For the most part, the initial collecting and sifting will be all automated and handed to a larger cluster of servers. I wouldn't put it past the NSA to have one or two of Google's mobile datacenters, those big CONEX's full of nothing but storage and processing power.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Snooping, cell phones are the worse. No wiretap approval required. Using open airwaves. Lot of electronic technicians can listen into your cell conversation at any time. In the early 80s I learned this watching some techs scanning frequencies and listening in on certain calls. I can't remember the piece of equipment used but it was not very large and simple to operate. Able to listen in on both sides of the conversation. Watch what you say on the cell.....

Crashdive123, you may be more familiar with the gear than I am. Can you offer any more insite?
    You are your dog's best friend....

Crashdive123, you may be more familiar with the gear than I am. Can you offer any more insite?
    I'm not familiar with the civilian side of it, and I'm sure there have been many, many advances in technology since I retired in '96. I was pretty heavily involved in passive electronic counter measures (ECM). Yeah, if it was transmitted, it could be intercepted. Decoding it was always the trick.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Schleprok View Post
    I can't remember the piece of equipment used but it was not very large and simple to operate. Able to listen in on both sides of the conversation. Watch what you say on the cell.....
    $50 for parts and a quick google search for schematics will get you what you are talking about. Decoding a signal isn't hard for a cell phone. They transmit in plaintext.
    Samuel Adams

I've talked about this before and Coot can back me up on it. If anyone thinks their phone call is private then you need to think again. Phones are monitored daily by your local phone company employee (for quality reasons of course). The farther your call travels the more likely it is someone in an office somewhere is going to hear at least part of your conversation.

Now, I will admit, that the time spent monitoring calls for quality is usually directly proportional to what the conversation is about. I've been privileged to more than one phone call that nearly burned my sensitive and young ears. So I was forced to remain on the line just so I could condition them. Frankly, I didn't even know you could do some of the things described. Really!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Time to go back to the tried and true methods. If the whole world is into technology then the best way to beat is through primitive measures. Face to face conversations and using good ol' pen and paper to communicate.

Nice. Real nice. You just gave some agent monitoring this site heart palpitations. Way to go.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Nice. Real nice. You just gave some agent monitoring this site heart palpitations. Way to go.
    Oh come on....they don't monitor this site.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Time to go back to the tried and true methods. If the whole world is into technology then the best way to beat is through primitive measures. Face to face conversations and using good ol' pen and paper to communicate.
    That only works if they don't have your RFID ID implant # and .... oh, wait. nm.

But seriously, if they are already watching you due to something you said over an electronic medium, (i.e., this forum) it doesn't matter. They will still listen to your conversation, it just takes more effort. You have to be inside of a faraday cage or a lead lined bunker wearing a tinfoil hat to keep it from happening. Best just to not do anything that would make you a target for surveillance.
    Samuel Adams

Oh come on....they don't monitor this site.
    That's not true... government spies are everywhere! Besides writing letters don't work. They all get opened and read and then resealed. People are always listening to your conversations. Government spies! We must continually panic!!!
    I'd rather be carried by six than married by one!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    That only works if they don't have your RFID ID implant # and .... oh, wait. nm.

But seriously, if they are already watching you due to something you said over an electronic medium, (i.e., this forum) it doesn't matter. They will still listen to your conversation, it just takes more effort. You have to be inside of a faraday cage or a lead lined bunker wearing a tinfoil hat to keep it from happening. Best just to not do anything that would make you a target for surveillance.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewnOK View Post
    That's not true... government spies are everywhere! Besides writing letters don't work. They all get opened and read and then resealed. People are always listening to your conversations. Government spies! We must continually panic!!!
    So what you are saying is.....WE"RE ALL DOOMED!!!!!

So what you are saying is.....WE"RE ALL DOOMED!!!!!
    Someone finally understands!!! Yay!!!! We must now begin panic...

You Okies are strange..... Course I married one so I guess I'm strange too.

You panic, I'll drink. Neither one will get us any where, but at least I won't remember it.
    Well why not?

Quote Originally Posted by tennecedar View Post

You panic, I'll drink. Neither one will get us any where, but at least I won't remember it.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by tennecedar View Post

No one told him about the subliminal reprogramming device we stashed in his house? You just think you won't remember it. Not only will you wake up with a hangover, you are going to be admitting to doing things even *I* wouldn't have done...

Samuel Adams

Matthew - at your tender age, I do believe the lack of caffine and sugar from trying to kick your soda habit are getting to you. Now I would never suggest that a 13 year old take up smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.......
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Matthew - at your tender age, I do believe the lack of caffine and sugar from trying to kick your soda habit are getting to you. Now I would never suggest that a 13 year old take up smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.......
    Your saying I shouldn't be paranoid? They'll get you first!