Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Counter weight spring snare trap

I honestly don't care what you think.I have never tried the trap,i have seen it work though.Maybe you should just try it.;or don't,i don't care either way.

I don't need your help with my posts thanks.https://youtu.be/v6axmQl3nNA but here is your proof;jerk.

The trap works off of gravity,do you know what that is?

edit....deleted.
    Last edited by hunter63; 03-08-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    edit....deleted.
    I agree totally and back you up to the bitter end. You are the only person that knows what he is talking about here anyway!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Submarine001 View Post
    Why would you hold the rock in one hand?,let the rope you pull do all the work;you could even use a cinder block as a counter weight with the line,by tying the line through the cinder block,then pulling it up.
    Because you need to tie a rope/cordage around the rock. There are no cinder blocks in the bush.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

(BOSWA) ELITE SURVIVAL RANGER - BSR/16/05

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabushman View Post
    You sure? I can describe it to you again if that'll help... I'll be sure to use the word "engine" a lot.
    I may need the word engine explained though.
    My youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ultsmackdown Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/antonyraison/

I honestly don't care what you think.I have never tried the trap,i have seen it work though.Maybe you should just try it.;or don't,i don't care either way.
    I have tried this trap, 2 years before you even posted this... I state still yes it can work, but I prefer other Traps for small game.
    I have yet to catch anything with this trap.

I know you can use counter weight for the trap, instead of a sapling, you can also use a sling shot cord for the "engine" if you want a video on all of those I make one for that if you really want it.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Antonyraison View Post
    I may need the word engine explained though.
    He is using the term engine for any device that captures a change of kinetic into potential energy.

By this definition kicking a rock from the side of a hill would be creating an engine.

He is a feisty little guy though, got a bit of a mouth on him.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    He is using the term engine for any device that captures a change of kinetic into potential energy.

By this definition kicking a rock from the side of a hill would be creating an engine.

He is a feisty little guy though, got a bit of a mouth on him.
    A newtonian engine. Would the engine operate as efficiently on the moon? What space rock do I need to lift a human there?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Only if you couldn't find a moon sapling.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

I don't need your help with my posts thanks.https://youtu.be/v6axmQl3nNA but here is your proof;jerk.
    Tic Toc goes the clock .....engine.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Hey Submarine001, DO NOT personally attack another member. If you want to refute something they posted, then attack that with facts and information.

You may not like that not everyone is agreeing with your information, but please consider this.

- you provided nothing in the way of an introduction
    - we know absolutely nothing about you
    - the video you provided has a kid making a trap (many may have assumed it was you)
    - you have never used the trap you are promoting
    - making a trap does not equate to catching wild game (sooo much more to it)
    - you have said several times that you do not care (seems that you do by your responses)

Here's a suggestion. Chill out, do an intro telling us your approximate age, experience, etc. While the internet can be this anonymous form of communication on a forum or other social media, many of the members here are not. This group has been together for quite some time and has quite a lot of experience among them. You are welcome to stay and have fun with the rest of us, but no more personal attacks. Hang around.....we might learn something - you might too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Why don't you just try the trap?,i have seen it used,but not used one myself.Both traps work the same.Gravity;a sapling will pick something up off the ground,and hang them;a counter weight trap does the same thing,the weight of the animal compared to the weights,hangs the animal.

Trust me, we all know the principles on how the trap works. That isn't the point.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Besides, you seem to be the one that is so intent on "proving" that this trap works, so why don't YOU just try the trap. Everybody would be much more receptive to your trapping prowess if you actually used one and caught wild game in it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Trust me, we all know the principles on how the trap works. That isn't the point.
    Methinks it gonna be a long day.....wait on that trap.

Many types of trapping.....
    Get rid of troublesome vermin and animals....Methods known to most home owners...all sorts of "Better mouse traps and methods"..

Trapping for fur done by people with experience and necessary equipment....

Trapping for survival...food....
    Generally use as a passive (you don't have to be there to have work)...protein gathering methods.
    Included animal traps, fish traps and weirs ..as well as bird traps.

As location, season, knowledge of terrain, and the fauna (animals fish birds, snakes, frogs) being hopefully trapped as well as equipment...... necessary carried materials suppiles vs gathered natural materials available,.... will determine what give you the best chance, for success.....for the calories spent.

I assume the gravity/spring trap.. snare...and dead fall, pit style all fall into is....do require some cordage or equipment to make this type of trap.....
    So you have mentioned..........small cordage to throw. and pull..(carry or make?)...larger cordage (make or carry) to hold rock (I gonna just skip over the cinder block as that is NOT something on anyone list)....find a rock (swamps have few rocks)..and branch to throw over..(trees?)
    All this take time and effort to make one...may need a lot more that one...to increase chances for actually gathering some thing for your effort.
    Best this is done if one stays in one place for awhile to allow time and increase your chances for it to work.

OR
    Just find or make a You Tube of a type of trap, to have something to post......
    Then get upset and start calling names when pressed for details...
    I guess the proper response to the OP should have been ...."Cool,....thanks for posting" and let it go at that.
    All in all is good to know ...another tool in the tool box.

Will not personally be building one anytime soon....some one might though...

Sorry your got your feeling hurt (this is sarcasm)....As part of survival is putting on your big boy pants, taking responsibility for what you post...as many people beside us may Google this type of trap....
    Your presentation and attitude was not the best example.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Something I'm confused by is why this particular trap style is so important? Survival trapping is something that is done in as many locations as possible. Each location will be different in terrain, foliage, and game trails. All have an effect on which kind of trap you build. There are so many styles and ways of making them I'm sure there are ones we have never even seen before. They all work on basic principles of gravity, kinetic energy, momentum, leverage...pretty much the same things that govern our daily lives.

So why is this ONE trap design so important to the OP? Especially since he admits to never using it. I could maybe understand if his life had been saved by the principles of a simple trap, but at this point I'm not convinced to OP has ever even killed an animal before.

I started trapping furbearers in high school and have trapped many an animal. I know how trapping works, but I've never caught an animal using primitive methods (besides snares), why? Because its considered unethical in my area. We do not have rabbits or squirrels in my region, so all trapping is done for fur, and using home-made primitive traps not only damages pelts but can injure an animal and still have it escape. While this can happen with commercial traps it's not common. In a survival situation this does not matter, but that's why many things are legal in a life or death situation, even to the killing of protected animals.

Sub001, if you do decide to try one of these, be sure to check the legality, and make sure you comply with the seasons in your area. Practice is great but do it legally.
    There ain't too many problems you can't fix with $500 or a 30-06.

Him-"Whats the best knife for survival?"
    Me-"the one that's in your pocket."
    Him-"I don't have one in my pocket."
    Me-"Exactly."

20170309_132958.jpg here is a pic of the spring snare trap using a counter weight.Spread the word!

Since you will not respond to any of the questions or suggestions presented I guess you are now officially in the troll category.

Trust me when I say, that is a category with a very short lifespan.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel