Thread: "Fishing For Dummies" book

Default "Fishing For Dummies" book

Im such a turd, I know... Im a total fishing noob so I ordered a used copy of "Fishing For Dummies" off ebay and cant wait for it to arrive.

Ill let you know what I think of it after Ive had an opportunity to read & apply the information.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Well you have to start somwhere, but dunny's arent good to eat and are sometimes even obnoxious. :snartass:

I'd second that. If you've never done it and you don't have a mentor to teach you then you have to learn. Fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. I've done a lot and caught my share of fish but theses days I'm content to use a spark plug for bait.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Just remember;

"You can only sit there for so long before someone finally throws a stick of dynimite in the water!"

Sheldon's Mom
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I was very fortunate to have a Grandfather and Uncles with my Dad to teach me when I was quite young. Of course that's how it was down a couple generations ago and I see many Fathers on this forum that are keping up the tradition - GREAT JOB!!!!

Oh, in it's simplest terms - tie a hook on a string, stab a worm with the hook and throw it in the water (holding onto the string, of course).
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'd second that. If you've never done it and you don't have a mentor to teach you then you have to learn. Fishing can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it. I've done a lot and caught my share of fish but theses days I'm content to use a spark plug for bait.
    I'm a big fan of both spark plug fishing and dynamite as well....and always thought that fish die too quite....I like the boom first, but you can't shoot fish...in most states.

I think you will enjoy both the book and the sitting in the sun shine in a lawn chair.........of course if the fish are biting, kinda gets in the way of the cold brewskies......That's where the spark plug comes in.

When you run out of beer, or start catching something on the spark plug....It time to go take a nap.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Any of you other southern boys ever get into one of those quiet creek backwaters where there was a deep hole and you could SMELL the catfish?

We had one near home when I was a kid and we kept it a secret right up till they built a subdivision on top of it. I would not even tell my grandad where it was!

I can remember riding home on my bike with a catfish hanging off each handlebar with its nose against the handlebar and its tail dragging the ground. Drivers would stop and beg me to tell them where I had caught those fish.

In those days there was only small game to hunt and people did not spend the money they do now on ATV and 4wd rigs or expensive centerfire rifles that would never be used. (My doctor had a .375 H&H magnum he used on safari. Ony guy I knew that had anything but a surplus rifle.) But everyone that had an extra $200 had a "fishing car". Some of them were works of off road 2wd art. An old sedan, jacked up on stiff springs with snow tires all aound and a roof rack for the john boat and fishing poles.

I tried to teach myself. My dad taught me when I was young, but then we really didn't go out when I was a teenager, mostly because we moved to a different state, and fishing was different than he was used to. However, I have been lucky with finding other mentors. In Texas, there was a guy in my reserve unit who loved fishing. He begged me and another buddy to come down to his parents house. All we needed was a license, and he would provide the rest...free. For two days we drove all over Harlingen Texas and hit as many catfish holes as we could. We never stayed more than 15 minutes at one hole and usually caught a few at each one. I don't think I ever caught that many fish before. They had a special family bait with a special family technique. When I moved to Utah, I found a neighbor that taught me the art of Trout fishing. I could never really catch them before. So, for me, it took a mentor.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

one thing i learned through the years is... when fishing..... it helps to bring pleanty of beer, if you dont catch a fish, at least you catch a buzz

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I'm a big fan of both spark plug fishing and dynamite as well....and always thought that fish die too quite....I like the boom first, but you can't shoot fish...in most states.
    Just a thought Hunter, and this being a survival forum and all;

Do you think a person could hook two fine copper lead wires to a stun gun and get the same effect on fish that they have on people?

You take what you need that floats to the surface and let the rest recover and swim away. You could use a solar charger or hand crank gizmo to charge the batteries up. You wuld have an unlimited supply of food for $20-$40.

Now I doubt you would want to stand in the water or be in a metal boat when trying this, but I would like to see a u-tube fail of someone that did try.

And BTW, stunning fish is NOT illigal in several states so that is the only place we would use such information, although it is a survival skill one should know in any state, if it works.

I think we need to get a Mikey (he'll try anything) to pull the trigger for a trial........Funny you should mention that, in WI tasers or stun guns were illegal before our CCW law was changed.

Couple of guys tried it on a TV show, Mud Loving Red Necks, for catfish.....but not sure what they used.......

http://press.discovery.com/asia-paci...vin-rednecks/#
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Insert mushroom cloud...
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

I know they were using electrical shocks to stun those Chineese carp in IL a while back, the ones that junp out of the water and into the boat with you. I saw that in a wildlife show. The WMA was doing a survey and they were stunning the fish to get a count. They had two electrodes about 10 feet long in the water and the fish were floating to the surface by the hundreds.

Interesting. I read some of its pages and it helped a lot.