Thread: Suggestions from Utahns/Coloradans, overnight camps

Default Suggestions from Utahns/Coloradans, overnight camps

Recovered from spine surgery, tired of sitting in the house cooped up. Any Utah or CO folks that can recommend some good overnight spots for camping? Talking backpacking and trails, no glamping or campground.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Really? spine surgery and you are thinking about backpacking?

I have had three of those deals and backpacking was not on the list of recovery therapies. I had one procedure last year and had to sit and watch a brand new motorcycle gather dust since I was not even allowed to sit on it!

And there is that thing about the pandemic being on and many of the parks and trails being closed. I don't know about your western areas. Here in the east you have to check for open status.

At any rate, I should think that you would have a good selection of opportunities to choose from with Colorado being traversed by the Continental Divide Trail and trail-heads being located every 20-30 miles along its route. Colorado is famous for its hiking and camping opportunities as is Utah with its large selection of well known national and state parks. You are also in an area where half the land is controlled by the Bureau of Land Management, NPS and U.S. Forest Service with free access and dispersed camping allowed in much of that area. A call to the BLM office in your area would get you a set of maps or at least directions to an area still open during this pandemic.

One might simply look into the state park websites and gather some information there. That's how most folks start the plan.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

State parks require a reservation. Camp Rock near Evergreen looks nice. I've heard that Echo Lake, neat there, is also good.

In state parks, State Forest is near Utah and has moose. Staunton, near Denver has attracted my interest because of Elk Falls. That's a 10+ mile round trip hike.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Really? spine surgery and you are thinking about backpacking?

I have had three of those deals and backpacking was not on the list of recovery therapies. I had one procedure last year and had to sit and watch a brand new motorcycle gather dust since I was not even allowed to sit on it!

And there is that thing about the pandemic being on and many of the parks and trails being closed. I don't know about your western areas. Here in the east you have to check for open status.

At any rate, I should think that you would have a good selection of opportunities to choose from with Colorado being traversed by the Continental Divide Trail and trail-heads being located every 20-30 miles along its route. Colorado is famous for its hiking and camping opportunities as is Utah with its large selection of well known national and state parks. You are also in an area where half the land is controlled by the Bureau of Land Management, NPS and U.S. Forest Service with free access and dispersed camping allowed in much of that area. A call to the BLM office in your area would get you a set of maps or at least directions to an area still open during this pandemic.

One might simply look into the state park websites and gather some information there. That's how most folks start the plan.
    Heh, the surgery was back in March. Since then I've been in full recovery, running and doing resistance training with great results. Did my first day hike the other week up to an alpine lake in the Wasatch with a light pack:
    100616177_261041978585815_8060759445350645760_n.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm gonna do an overnight in the Uintas, might take some time to get closer to CO.

Oops, State Forest is no where near Utah. It's near Wyoming. Brain glitch....
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.