Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gems from the Gutter - part 1

I had always though that the best prepared people for a SHTF are the ones that have already been thru one or more.
    It would appear that you have done that and done well by your experience.
    Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Growing up 50 years ago in a small railroad town, (mid way between two large cities) we had a yard, round house (repair place).
    So we had the Hobo camps, the RR "dicks", didn't know what it meant at the time, and the whole hobo marking system, as to where day work was, and food etc.

As kids we would hang out with them sometimes, (What God Forbid, They will eat you, or worse) I can't imagine kids doing that today, actually I can't imagine that we did what we did.

We brought food or were sent to fetch some help with raking, odd jobs and such.

As kids we thought that they were kinda cool, and we even envisioned taking off my self.

I would suspect that homeless today are not the same, but I might be wrong.
    If the economy keeps spiraling down, I think that we will see many more joining the ranks.
    And it not be pretty.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I know that some of you know that Poco and I met on the streets but that was not the beginning for me.
    See I lived with my sister and her husband but things didn't work out between us and she told me that I had to go. So I took the only thing that meant the world to me and that was Audie Murphy my Pembroke Welsh Corgi. (Poco here for just a second. Equus is crying as she writes this it is emotionally painful for her so bear with her as she exposes what she feels most vulnerable about. I did not put her up to this but she feels others may gain from it. I am here for emotional support ONLY,and to help her through this.)
    I was only 21 when I hit the streets alot of people asked me why I didn't just go back home. The thing is that I felt like I got myself into this mess so I have to get myself out. My parents taught all of us to stand on our own two feet. My mom was sick and my dad didn't have much to do with me once I left home at 18.
    When I hit the streets I knew noone but a guy by the name of Mike came and helped me out. He took me to the mission for food and then we went up underneath the I-40 bridge where a church had services and gave out food as well that is where I first saw Poco. He had a black lab with him. That dog was the first thing that attracted me to him. I only saw him briefly that first night I looked up and he was gone. Later that evening Mike took me to an underpass and that is where I spent my first night on the streets. No blankets nothing but the clothes on my back and Audie.
    All I knew was that I needed to be with someone that could protect me so since Mike showed me that I stayed with him. I have never done drugs and knew that on the streets that the druggies and pimps would make it hard for me to survive on the streets by myself so I knew that in some ways I needed protection for my own survival. Mike and I ended up geting married I did not do it because I loved him but because I felt like I owed him an obligation because he protected when I first hit the streets. That was a mistake that I wish that I could undo. He did not want to get off the streets he was very proud to be there. He never cared that I was frightened with everything going on around me. I finally had enough and I left him.
    After that I knew that I needed to do something different so I went back up under the bridge for food and that is when I saw Poco again. I knew that he had a camp so I asked him if I could come there and stay for awhile. He accepted me and my dog. Audie did not stay with me on the streets for long I found him a temporary home with a lady that came up under the bridge with the church. I told her that Audie didn't need to be there because he wouldn't eat much because he felt like he had to guard me all the time so I did what was best for him and got him off the streets for awhile anyway.
    I asked Poco if he knew where I could go get a job at because I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life on the streets I was raised better than that. Circumstances put me there but I was going to get off if I could. He told me that he could get me a job with just his word at first I didn't believe him but he took me there and sure enough I had a job even though I was still homeless. I worked on that job while homeless for 3 more weeks then was able to find a place like Poco said it was a flophouse but it was a roof over my head. Poco and I have been together ever since that fateful time and I am grateful that I have a man like him because he knew that I would not survive out there for a long period of time because I had no knowledge of how to survive. I have learned alot from him. He doesn't know how grateful I am that we have lasted as long as we have and hopefully we will have many more years together. He was the man that I was looking for a long time.
    I know to some this may not be a survival theme but to me I had to overcome alot. I had to know my limits and then not be scared to ask for help because I didn't know if someone would harm me or not. I looked to my dog for that because if Audie growled at someone I wouldn't go to them because he knew peoples intentions better than me. No it is not surviving in the wilderness but it is surviving in a suburban area where you have to make friends or die pretty much. That was a hard time for me but also rewarding in the fact that you learn who you really are as a person.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Blog Entries

That musta' been very hard to write. I'm glad you found each other. And I hope you both have many more very happy years together. I'll never forget what I just read. Thank you for sharing.

And Poco, it's a good thing you had that black lab.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Thanks Ken I just hope that someone can learn from my experience and it helps them out in their time of need.

If it weren't for that black lab I wouldn't of given him the time of day he was very scary to look at good thing I don't go by appearances!!!!
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

Thank you Equus it means a lot to me to know you have the strength and courage to meet and overcome your fears. To use a saying from the 70's YOU'VE COME A LONG WAY BABY!!! You are definitely stronger than when I met you. You've overcome a lot. If it ween't for you I would probably still be on the streets and who knows where I would've ended up.
    Thank Goodness for Alex the Black Lab!!!
    love ya'
    -Catfish (my street name)
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 08-23-2009 at 10:20 AM.

MMhmMmmm

Wow!

I am at a loss for words with how I feel for you two sharing these hard parts of your lives with us... it is absolutely amazing, and I am glad I can be apart of it.... even if it through a monitor reading!

Thank you very much.
    Mountain Man

Equss,, Thanks to you folks for furthering my education
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Banned
    Blog Entries

Equus, Well done thank you for sharing, That was a very powerful essay. I wish you both a long....healthy...and happy life. Well done young lady, well done.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-23-2009 at 07:01 AM.

What a very powerful story. The two of you have probably overcome more hardship than most of us will ever face. Thanks for sharing your story with us. There are a lot of lessons there for all of us.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Equus - thanks for sharing your story. You don't give yourself enough credit. Also, I think Poco knows how much you appreciate what he did. After having met both of you - you are perfect together. I wish you both long life and happiness together.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thanks again guys. that was hard for me to write but sometimes it is easier being homeless no responsibilities but only how to survive. that was a good and bad time in my life. see since that time i have lost the greatest person in my life and that was my mother. she died in 03 there was tensions between us the last 3 years of her life and once we started talking again and trying to connect once again she got real sick with cancer again. she lived in pennslyvania at that time and i lived in ky very far apart from each other. I was adopted by her and my dad. when i got notified the sheriff told me it was late at night. i told mel i was going home for the funeral. i guess the worst thing though is the day that we buried my mom i also lost my dad. some of you are like how did you lose your dad when he did not die. i lost him becuse he saw us different even though he adopted us we weren't biological so when mom died he turned his back on all of his adopted children. there was 4 of us. i do stay in contact with my siblings from time to time. but now poco is the only one in my life and my children. robbie my oldest carries my moms middle name that is lynn she spelled her different though it was spelled lynne. i gave him that name because i was not supposed to be able to have children see i had 4 miscarriages before him i believe that my mom helped carry him. my youngest is called bret because he was named after mel's best friend who passed away 3 weeks before he was born. he had no children of his own so we decided that we would name our youngest one after him. the two boys carry names that i am very proud to have given them.
    Last edited by equus; 08-23-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Just in case it happens again...........

"Ken" is a very nice name, too! But I wouldn't go naming any son of mine "WE," "2dumb," "Rick," or "Sarge." Just sayin'.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Poco and Equus, there are no words to explain how your stories have touched my life. I'll just say a sincere thank you from the bottom of my heart and leave it at that.

All I can say is wow. That must of been hard to share.......but sounds like things are working out in the end for you both.

Blog Entries

You two have an awful lot to be proud of. I really can't imagine how you both lived thru that period of your lives, but I'm glad you did and you're sharing what are obviously painful times with us. After reading your words, I can honestly say my pet peeves have well and truly been put into perspective and I'm somewhat ashamed at moaning about some things now.
    You both really do deserve a long and happy life together!
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

thanks WW that means alot. We are pretty happy with each other. that was a hard time but we prevailed and overcame it a little at a time.

No matter the past, no matter the future. You guys have two little Mels that are pretty special guys. That alone makes just about everything tolerable.

We yak on here all the time about today's young generation not being outdoors and playing. Their two know what playing is all about. I was washing out a pan when they came up out of the creek like little rockets.

"Snake!" They yelled. "Come look! Come on!" How can you resist that? That's exactly what it's all about!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I know they wore out Mrs. Crash when she was watching them. She really enjoyed it, but not something she is used to.........well.........kind of........not that I bear watching or anything like that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

She probably doesn't have to change your diaper. Just sayin'........

Well there was that one time.......shoot! Did I say that out loud?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel