Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wild Hog Hunting Report

The lady next door is a widow (78). I cut her grass and help her out inside on stuff that I can do. She has five little yapper type dogs that live inside with her. I'll swear I don't know how people live like that. The air inside the house is so stifling that IF you could breathe you would gag. Fortunately when I try to inhale my lungs shut down and won't let me breathe. One day she asked me if I would put a toilet seat on for her.... I told here I didn't have the right tools... I had to draw the line somewhere and I figured the toilet was as good as any a place to start.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    The lady next door is a widow (78). I cut her grass and help her out inside on stuff that I can do. She has five little yapper type dogs that live inside with her. I'll swear I don't know how people live like that. The air inside the house is so stifling that IF you could breathe you would gag. Fortunately when I try to inhale my lungs shut down and won't let me breathe. One day she asked me if I would put a toilet seat on for her.... I told here I didn't have the right tools... I had to draw the line somewhere and I figured the toilet was as good as any a place to start.
    Alan
    Oh ya, the Eagle Boy Scout thing only goes so far!!!! The Eagle hunkers down when situations start to smell bad.

I will help anyone with nearly anything legal, if I can. But, if someone won't even provide for themselves basic cleanliness, I don't know what I can do except clean their house for them. She's perfectly capable of cleaning the house, but she won't. And she won't keep the dang dogs quiet either, in fact she encourages them to yap.

Alan

I wonder if I stood out in the yard yapping if the neighbors would be as offended as I am when their dog does it? I wonder if I crapped in my neighbor's yard if they would be as offended as I am when their dog does it. I wonder if I walked barefoot over the top of my neighbor's car leaving footprints on top of it if my neighbors would be as offended as I am when their cat does it? I wonder if I pee'd on my neighbor's favorite azalea bush if my neighbor would be as offended as I am when their dog does it to my flowers. Does give one pause to wonder. I am an old man. I could probably get away with some of this stuff a few times anyway. Hmmmm. This could be fun. A little cold at the moment for peeing outdoors, however......Pardon me, I feel a yap coming on.

I absolutely Hate to hear dogs yapping. And it seems that those who own them, don't hear it? Go figure, don't know how they can miss it. My MIL used to have a bunch of little ankle biters and they yapped all the time, if someone came to the house, if someone left the house, you get the idea.
    My closest neighbor has had a bunch of big yappers, and we refer to them as "the dog people" as they too encourage the dogs to yap. I don't mind during the day, but when they used to leave for their annual vacation the dogs would yap for either one or two weeks, for however they were gone. They even have some in the house, that you can hear, so I don't know how they stand it inside either.
    I think Rick has the best idea, go over and do unto others as others have done unto us, except they usually keep them yappers in the yard, they are not here in body, but now voice, that is a different thing. I want to shoot the owners, not the dogs, the dogs have not been trained, it is the owners fault they are a nuisance to the area. imho

Tool & Die Maker

Received a text today from one of the guys hunting on my lease saying he killed a 60 lb hog. Hopefully hog hunting is turning around finally. Ordered a bunch of hog bait and sow urine on amazon.com. Went to Cabela's today and bought more attractants that smell like acorns. Looking into a unique bait delivery system, you guys are going to love it. We go back to Florida in 12 days.

I'll bet the UPS guy is gonna love you. Every dog in the neighborhood will be chasing after his truck.

I've had dogs for nearly every day of my adult life. ALL of them barked at something at one time or another. They either learned as puppies or during the first week of residence, that barking HAD to be AT something, and that something HAD to be placing the entire ranch in eminent danger. Because, for absolute sure, Eminent Danger was going to come out of the door with a gun, and something was going to have a hard time of it. So, as the dog population "evolved" I came up with a group of dogs that would rather be locked in mortal combat with "Something" or "Anything" as opposed to being accused, tried and convicted of barking at Nothing!

The dog we have now only barks once when he hears the food tub open up in the evenings. He barks at nothing else unless he is absolutely sure eminent danger is at the gate. If eminent danger does appear, he goes right through the roof and doesn't stop until eminent danger has hit third gear and accelerating. The eminent danger thinks he's saying "Ima tear you limb from limb, Ima chew your butt out, Ima, Ima, Ima..... keel ya!"

Actually he is saying, "Food Man, Food Man, Food Man, Food Man, Save me from eminent danger! They're trying to get the dog food!"

Alan

Now #1 son, hunts hogs with dogs and a knife. He has strike dogs that catch the hog's scent and sound the alarm (they only bark when there is a hog to chase and don't really bark after that), then there's the mill run pack dogs (they bark all the time unless you threaten them with death, then they only bark once every minute or so. Then there's the catch dogs (They don't bark at all unless it looks like you're going to leave them tied up when you go hunting). They are brought into play when the hog is bayed and sighted and they are too stupid to be afraid. They go straight in and start looking for a hog ear or leg to pull on. They are predominantly pit bulls or the like. He does have one Dogo (Badass dog breed from Argentina that is deaf, but loves to kill hogs).

Once the hog is wearing a couple of pit bull or Dogo ear rings then the hunter comes in from the rear and slips a sharp knife between the hogs ribs and into the heart. The result is usually instantaneous. The hog goes down and then the pack swarms him. The hunter spends the next minutes screaming and yelling and beating dogs off the hog with 5 cell maglite. The the strike dog says, "yip" and the whole thing starts again. The pits still have the ears so you put their chains on and drag them until the let go of the hog.

This is a young man's game and since it is done at night... well I won't make that kind of judgement.. There's no need for guns, in fact they would just be a liability. The hunter is running nearly the whole time so he doesn't need the weight and you couldn't shoot the hog anyway, there's just too much going on. you're lucky if you get back without cutting yourself or getting dog bit. #1 son carries one of those staple suture guns. It is used far more than a real gun would be.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

That hog/dog hunting would be a riot. I saw guys hauling dogs in the back of pickup trucks all month in Florida. I also heard of hog hunting from pickup trucks where they chase down a hog, the hunter jumps out of the truck with a knife and kills the hog with a knife. Always thought I would like to try that type of hunting, thought about it 40 years to late.

I tend to think of night time activities a bit differently. Perhaps it's age or just good sense. I had better never need a suture gun. If I do, things have gone terribly wrong. Terribly, terribly wrong. An ambulance will probably be involved and a very embarrassing story.

I used to do a lot of hog hunting with dogs and it is fun it gets your blood pumping going into a bayed hog.

It's a blast if you can keep up. If you can't keep up it's like being lost in the brush in the dark for hours and hours.

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

Update: Been 8 weeks and still no hogs not even a picture of one. Getting desperate I went to a Florida Wildlife management area,
    bought the $27 permit, took my revolver along. Didn't see any hogs but saw rutting and tracks as evidence. This was only a couple miles from my leased property. The problem with Florida WMA we can't use bait and can't hunt and night and issues with theft.
    May have to go with WMA until they return to my lease. I have hunted my lease 25 times in the last 8 weeks. I see deer, possum,
    raccoons, coyote but never any hogs. Particularly unusual is the lack of insects. Mosquitoes are normally vicious until and hour passed sundown but so far they are missing in action, what's up with that. I'll swat mosquitoes if I can see hogs from time to time.
    Local say Florida has had to much rain causing changes in wildlife
    Last edited by jim Glass; 01-05-2019 at 09:35 PM.

Tool & Die Maker

OK, figured out today why the hogs are not on my lease. I went to a Florida WMA and found plenty of wild hog signs. Walked through my leased property and found it was very wet and many areas flooded. Two weeks ago this area had 14" of rain so my lease is still flooded. Known fact hogs like water but not this much water. Hogs can swim but not sure about the piglets and food sources are also under water. The area is just to wet to attract hogs. Hogs could be afraid the water may rise further like it did two weeks ago.

I'm retooling to hunt the WMA. The area I plan to hunt is much drier than my lease and there is plenty of rutting and tracks. The area is most likely loaded with wild hog and it is only 2 miles from my lease.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 01-05-2019 at 10:10 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I bet it you had slid into that WMA back in the fall you could have gotten in on the deer season as well as chasing hogs.

Don't get tunnel vision and keep your eyes open for other game to chase both big and small.

And yes, an out of state resident can buy a long gun in another state if they find quail rabbit or squirrel to shoot and need to buy a Maverick or Pardner pump.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

An update: The Florida WMA closed hunting season but will reopen 2/3/19. Over a 5 day period the trail camera took 13 wildhog pictures on the WMA most of them at night and all were single hogs. I normally see hogs in pairs or groups and singles so I'm wondering if there are that many hogs on the WMA. Without bait and night hunting I think scoring a wild hog will be somewhat of a miracle compared to my experience hog hunting on private property. With the season closed I looked into hunting more private property without success. Land owner gave me a "NO" hunting. His property was way to wet to hold hogs anyway.

Decided to scout my own leased property and found significant hog rutting in an area I rarely visit. The area was quite dry and had mosquitos. It seems the presents of mosquitos goes with hog presents, don't understand that completely. Hunted the area with a buddy until 9:00 PM. Didn't see a thing, not even a mouse. My thermo imaging scope usually sees mice and other small rodents at night. Raccoons always make an appearance at my blind at night and deer 50% of the time. But last night, nothing at all and was unusually quiet for a Florida jungle at night. Going out to scout today and setup a trail camera in this new area. Probably hunt the area again tonight. Not unusual to seeing no hogs. Usually takes 5-8 trips before the hogs show up. Hog hunting is not as easy as one might think. I don't give up easily!!!
    S

Tool & Die Maker

Beginning to look like I'm not going to get a wild hog this year. Come to the conclusion The hogs are not on my leased property because there is no food for them. Because of a wet summer and hurricane Michael resulting in flooding of the lease. As a result there is not enough food to attract and hold a wild hog population. Spent considerable time tromping around the Homosassa WMA. Hogs are in there but can't use bait or hunt at night. Success rate on the best WMA on the best year is 4% which means if I hunt 100 times I might get 4 hogs. I did take 2 tree stands into the WMA about a 1/2 mile in by lashing one at a time to my 10-speed bike and rolling then out then ride the 10-speed back to the parking area. Worked out surprisingly well. Hunted one evening, left the tree stand 15 min after sundown, rode the 10-speed out and came onto 2 large animals, I'm thinking "wild hogs". Realized it was 2 wild dogs, one a brown Boxer the other black unknown breed. My AR-15 (neutered to a 22LR) slung around my head and shoulder and not readily accessable. Not knowing what the dogs were going to do I reached for my conceal carry (Ruger .380). About the same time the dogs quietly ran off into the jungle without any confrontation.

Not baiting my lease, allowing it to cool off for a couple of weeks. Then I'll dump 50 lb of corn to see if the hogs finally come back. Time is running out for our stay in Florida before heading back to Illinois in March, weather permitting.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 02-13-2019 at 07:45 AM.

That's a bummer Jim after all the off season preps. Seems like its rained everyday this year here in north Alabama with more on the way. Hope you can get them in there before you have to head home. Looking forward to some of those cool scope pics.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I hate that you've not gotten a hog hunt in. Then again, I'm looking out the window at the remnants of the last snow and all the crappy rain. It's finally 30 degrees and we're past the sub zero temps and wind chills. You are in Florida, right? Enjoy.