Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lost my leatherman

Default lost my leatherman

What do you think happened? Here's the story. two of us were working on a job the other day and I noticed I didn't have my leatherman after using it prior. I asked the guy in the crawlspace to take a look, thinking it had slipped out of my hoodie pocket like my phone had. He didn't see it. Anyhoo I searched for a hour and after leaving for the day I came back and searched for a hour and a half. It's a tiny little job site, not like there is a gazzilion places this knife could have been.

Yesterday we got done early. It's been a challenge to get 40 hours in these days, just not enough work. The fella I'm working with says we have time to go look for that knife so we did. I walked up on the porch to unlock the door and looked to the right and there it was laying on the porch railing with the phillips bit out. It wasn't there the day before, I know this for sure I went over every area I worked in inch by inch. This is a empty house. I am puzzled about the phillips bit. I told my guy that I had used it to pull some phillips screws from a bosch water heater.But actually had the flat tip out the last time I used it. He lives a couple hundreds yards from the jobs site.

I don't like being cynical but for some reason it feels like some funny business went on.

I think you just got a cheap education. Let it go. You got your multi tool back. Just keep one eye on your co-worker.......and your tools locked up. Guys like him are on every job site unless you're working alone.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It all worked out.
    I wouldn't call him on it
    Go Dawgs

I hear ya.......I used to lay out new tools on a piece oc card-board, and spray them with brown paint....That helped....But might not have done you any good as I don't do this with pocket knives, or multi tools....Just the ones in my case or bag.

Maybe by making a big deal out of finding it....the mystery won't repeat it self.....I think the message was delivered.

I can tell you where at least 3 tools that left my world and who was there at the time......and still bring it up once in a while when in company of certain people.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I would let it go and just watch if working with him again

Not me I'd call him on it. It'd go something like if you come clean maybe I'll be able to let it go.......Not the kind of company I keep.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

And what does that buy you except a p.o.'d co-worker? He knows Randy knows he took it or he wouldn't have put it there to be "found". By not saying anything Randy will be screwing with his head. This way Randy let's the other guy's own thoughts mess with him and he doesn't have to raise a pinky to do it. Brain over brawn, my friend.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    And what does that buy you except a p.o.'d co-worker? He knows Randy knows he took it or he wouldn't have put it there to be "found". By not saying anything Randy will be screwing with his head. This way Randy let's the other guy's own thoughts mess with him and he doesn't have to raise a pinky to do it. Brain over brawn, my friend.
    I agree....point has been made, and an honorable out was used......Drop it, but keep your eyes open.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Ahem...Randy is the Boss right? The co-worker is unemployable. Randy's next job, he is in a spot that may mean his life and his only help is the guy that stole his knife? Could happen, not likely but could.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

Guys like him are on every job site unless you're working alone.
    Guys like that work at my job site when I work alone. I am always looking for a tool I just set down.

You should look at tying your leatherman to a dummy cord. Rick even has a thread about that.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Speaking of stealing.....I wonder how ole Wildgoth and Flandersander are doing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    Guys like that work at my job site when I work alone. I am always looking for a tool I just set down.

You should look at tying your leatherman to a dummy cord. Rick even has a thread about that.
    I work with 130 associates, while their might be and probably is those that would steal from me. There is also a certain level of respect that is attained by being the same rigid SOB everyday. For the one that stole from me there would be 12 telling me who did it.

I don't think the guy stole it, I think he hid it to so more time would be spent at the job than necessary. We're heading back to the shop early yesterday and the fella pipes up and says "hey we have a little extra time to go look for your knife now". With travel time to and fro, it's darn near an hour. The situation petty much sealed his fate.

In that case, he's stealing from the company.
    He can't be trusted to work unsupervised.
    Who knows how accurate his time card is?
    I'd fire him.
    This may sound strange to some, but I'd give bin a pass if you think he took it, then put it back. He didn't own up to it, but at least he felt bad enough to put it back.
    Go Dawgs

Quote Originally Posted by RealPreppersWearPurple View Post
    In that case, he's stealing from the company.
    He can't be trusted to work unsupervised.
    Who knows how accurate his time card is?
    I'd fire him.
    This may sound strange to some, but I'd give bin a pass if you think he took it, then put it back. He didn't own up to it, but at least he felt bad enough to put it back.
    I disagree, cross me once shame on you, cross me twice shame on me.

I agree, but who knows how many more times he's ripped off the company?
    Go Dawgs

Unless you work in a right to work state you better have more than that documented to fire someone. Especially if it's a union shop. You invest a lot in an employee in terms of learning curve, training, etc. You don't just fire them unless they've done something substantial like documented theft, physical altercation or threats or drugs/alcohol. Less than that you instill the steps of discipline. Your goal should be to change the behavior.

If you draw negative attention to yourself then you had better be ready to sit under the microscope.

He is a new hire. He stopped by a few weeks ago claiming he has 25 years experience as a pipe fitter. I told him then that we were slow and there wouldn't be a 40 hour week. he said he wanted to work even if it was limited hours.

I wouldn't fire a guy on gut feeling but the fact is with 25 years experience he has way way ay too many leaks and "accidents".

Before I started my own business I did a lot of interviews. In that capacity I reviewed literally thousands of applications and resumes. I know it may be hard to believe, but people are sometimes less than truthful on an application or resume. They were usually easy to weed out in the review process, and if they got past that, I ALWAYS verified employment history. The amount of money, time and effort it takes for a new hire makes it worth it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have found that in my trade there are lots of guys with 25 (must be a magic number) years of experience. Employment can be verified. My best guess is that it's one year experience 25 times in a row. A challenge for me is my demographic, there's not a large labor pool here. It's home so I make the best of it.