Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Living in the woods/The Bare Wilderness Numptys!

The site is just ugly over all. Just looks tacky. The graphics are low quality. The navigation buttons on the left side or hidious. The colour scheme is worse. The fonts are far from original and very boring. Over all, it looks like the offspring of MS Paint and notepadd

Oh, and that list of gear I made wasn't directed at you. It was for the original poster. You've come in and hijacked his thread, and then assumed what I posted was for you. It wasn't

I thought this was a survival site! What do i need all these thing you seggest for.

Yes, you thought right. It is a survival site. All those things I've listed are ****ing handy when it comes to living in the wild. Something, judging by your attitude and some of your stupid comments, you know nothing about. Once again, the list wasn't directed at YOUR needs. You want a thread about yourself? Then go start one. Don't hijack someone elses threads mate.
    Last edited by SOE digital; 08-16-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Yo, Tonto!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I thought this was a survival site! What do i need all these thing you seggest for.
    The leatherman tool- I have a knife, the other tools can be made out of wood or bone, the saw would be handy but not nessary.
    Paracord- Rope can be made from many plants like cattails or stinging nettle
    Flint striker- I have been quite succesesful at lighting a fire with my knife and a rock
    Bottle of antiseptic- For cuts and burns i can use the sap from the blisters of a white spruce tree. Mix it with cattail fluff and i have a bandaid
    Army canteen- We can make containers from folded birch bark
    * Talcom powder (you know, baby powder). Stops you from getting trench foot.- I have had trench foot and it sucks! but you can make an atiseptic soap from wood ash, animal fat and pine needles. This will stop it.
    two pairs of cloths- that would be nice but if you have a shelter you can take off your clothes and dry them by the fire
    Boomerang- how about making a rabbit stick with my knife
    Kuhkuri (gurkha blade)- I will have a knife
    A roll of wire (for snares etc)- Wire would be nice but you can make snares from pine roots. We have also had some luck with deadfall traps
    My 75L rucksack- I wont have anything to put in it.

I know it wont be easy but others have walked into the bush with nothing and survived

I thank you for your suggestions but i think i can do it!
    Yes Adrian, this is a survival site. Mark that down on your piece of birchbark!
    You say you and your buddy are going into the Canadian wilds to live off the land for 30 days. You say you're not taking any food or water with you, therefore I 'm assuming that you're planning on some organic method of filtering water and making a cup to drink it out of. Because this is a "Survival Site" it informs people on how to survive life or death situations. Here's the 1st rule..."NEVER DO STUPID THINGS!" Cody Lundin, Dr. Ron Hood, J. Wayne Fears, & Mors Kochanski would disagree with you, and they are a lot more qualified than you for that sort of thing.

My main problem here is I see no preparations being made for when things go wrong! The motto of any true survivalist is "Be Prepared". If you read the threads here regarding people being attacked by bears, moose, and a Wolverine you might want to think about that. It is my opinion that what you are planning on doing is highly dangerous and irresponsible. You've violated the 1st law of Survival. You're DELIBERATELY putting yourself in harm's way to follow some dream of yours. Sounds pretty self-centered to me, just hope it doesn't turn into a nightmare! Oh, and I've never lived in Canada so I know nothing about the edible flora & fauna growing there, however, if you're ever down in my neck of the woods in early april we can hunt Morels together! p.s.: Heres an old saying that I'm really quite fond of: "You can't tell a fool anything, but a word to the wise is sufficiant" Believe it or not, I am praying for your safe return.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 08-16-2007 at 09:59 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Exclamation 1095 vs. D2.

Hi FVR

Thanks for your response. I have an Ontario Knife which is similar to a Ka-bar, It is made from 1095 High carbon steel. I started this project im May and have spent alot of time trying to learn as much as i can. It is a dream of mine to do this, and will do everything i can to make it a sucess. I am interested in learning more because a month is a long time to eat the same thing everyday.
    1095 is a good quality steel but rusts easily in wet climates. D2 is stronger and resist rusting better. Ontario makes the RAT-7, which you may or may not be talking about, in both!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 08-16-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: oops!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

We are spending time learning the skills we think we will need. As far as water, we ar plannng to boil the water using birch containers and hot rocks. And we have built a few Atlatl's and have been practicing with them to not only hunt but also defend ourselves. We have a friend who is a flint knapper and we are trying to learn enough to make simple arrowheads. We have bought a few of Ron Woods videos and have learned alot from them. We are dooing what we can to make sure we will succeed.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Really?

We are spending time learning the skills we think we will need. As far as water, we ar plannng to boil the water using birch containers and hot rocks. And we have built a few Atlatl's and have been practicing with them to not only hunt but also defend ourselves. We have a friend who is a flint knapper and we are trying to learn enough to make simple arrowheads. We have bought a few of Ron Woods videos and have learned alot from them. We are dooing what we can to make sure we will succeed.
    And what are you going to do if things go horribly wrong? Is a slot on the Discovery Channel really worth all this?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

A slot in Discovery Channel?
    What, are they filming this crap?

Blog Entries

Talking Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    A slot in Discovery Channel?
    What, are they filming this crap?
    Check out their web-site at www.barewilderness.com! (I think that's right, if not your going to have to page back a bit and check it out.) Brad Adrian says it all in his bio, which they have on both of them. Also you can become a member of the bare wilderness team if'n you want. Check out what they think are cool photos of themselves. Also check out the downloadable videos of these guys prepping for their massive undertaking! Look out! Here come SURVIVALDUDES!!! Forget Discovery Channel, put it on Jackass!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Well, if they do film it, how to they plan on lugging around so many batteries?

Blog Entries

Question (shrugs)

Quote Originally Posted by SOE digital View Post
    Well, if they do film it, how to they plan on lugging around so many batteries?
    I dunno, these guys are more arrogant than anything else. They've ripped off info from Dr. Ron Hood. They show a small survival kit on their web-site, but aren't going to take one even though they've obviously recommended it to others.

What steams me the most is that they think their limited experience qualifies them to know more than the experts. Even Rick-SAR has told them their plan is unwise but they don't listen. I do hope their life insurance is paid up, I'd hate to see Mrs. Adrian become a widow, least of all a poor one.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Default I wasn't kidding yesterday

What steams me the most is that the guys who have to track 'em and helicopter in to drag out their rotting carcasses don't get paid enough to have to put up with that crap. You wanna off yourself that bad Adrian? Where in Manitoba are you? Step in front of a mine truck. Guys, I'm not wasting any more time on this yo-yo.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick-SAR View Post
    Having trained the RCMP in Northern Manitoba a number of years ago in search and rescue, in my experience you will probably will meet some of my students after a very short time - 30 days or less if you try this using your list.

If you really are considering this adventure I would suggest you take a month and try it. I would bet your list would totally change after that.

If you do try it I would strongly suggest you invest (or rent) a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) from a sporting goods outlet (they are approved in Canada as well as the US). Cost is somewhere between $600 to $1,000. If some of my friends have to look for you the PLB will give them a good location where to look (within a few miles or so depending if you have a gps built in or not) - providing you activate it.

A new Beacon system is going on line in November that is Private. It is also satellite based and is projected to cost $149 plus about $9 per month. It has a number of options such as it you can send a message to your friends and family by email that you are OK and your location. It also will send your location every 5 min as you travel (for 24 hours then you have to reset it) plus a 911 emergency call button.

Rick G

www.SearchAndRescueTraining.com
    Being able to send an email would be AWESOME!

Blog Entries

Let's all just back up a little bit.

These two guys want to walk into the woods for 30 days. They seem to have a little more info. than we first thought.

I won't look down on them as they are doing something that I had wanted to do some 24 years ago. My plans changed when I joined the USMC, then when I got out life started. I was at that point too involved with education, jobs, and woman to follow my dream.

Let's instead of slamming them, quiz the crap out of them instead.

Question #1.

What kind of clothes will you be wearing into the woods? I hope you have thought about heat and cold, wet and dry. Are you by chance thinking of any wool? From exp., I can tell you, wading a stream in Dec. in nothing but mocs, wool socks to my knees, wool leggins and a heavy wool shirt, I was wet yet warm.

Your thoughts?

Blog Entries

Question Okay, fair enough.

Question #2: One of you guys has made a serious blunder. He's slipped and some how fell on his kife, cutting himself deeply in the thigh and into the main artery there. His blood is pumping out, you're a hundred miles from any people anywhere, what do you do?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

being from northern canada myself let me lend my opionion

1st-do not go w/o a map and compass(it's not cheating)
    2nd- learn how to use map and compass
    3rd- in the fall there are presious few wild edibles to be found- i consider my self an amateur on this subject but it is my favorite hobby.
    4th-october? prime rut and hunting season.
    5th don't be silly bring someway to purify water if you don't poison youself trying to identify wild edibles you may make yourself extremely sick how will you get out

6th and most important notify the ministry of natural resources of your plans and also a trsted family member. where you plan to insert your destination time frame and extraction point.

as many of you who know me on this site know my motto,

always be prepared.

you guys are new so listen up there is such a thing as being adventuous and then there is just plain stupidity, take a few essentials with you and learn document everything and come back alive so next time you can take less with you.

that is all the great eagle has to say.

Blog Entries

Sarge goes right for the jugular.

But, his point is very valid. Reading back in history, alot of men and woman died because of little mistakes. There were those that had traps close on their hands, breaking bones and deep cuts causing infection and death. Falling and a compound fracture, gonna be tough, an insect or snake bite and high fever can be big trouble.

Falling on a knife may sound outlandish, but it can happen, how about whittling a spear or cutting branches for a fire? one slip and............................you're in a world of crap.

Wareagles min. suggestions are very important and should always be followed even when not in the vast Canadian wilderness. I must admit, I do follow his suggestions.

Know my area and always take a topo with a compass.

Always let someone (wife) know where I will go, where I might venture if I leave the main hunting spot.

Always take my little tin cup and a couple ways to start a fire. In 15 min., you have drinkable water that can give you that extra ummmph, to keep going.

I do not go in the woods during hunting season, if I'm not hunting. I will not take my family in the woods during hunting season. If I am in the woods during hunting season, hunting, I take the appropriate measure on colored clothing. NO BROWN!!! Don't care if it's not pc, brown will get you shot. Green is a good color.

Let's hear back.

Blog Entries

Cool Thanx Trax!

Thanks brother Wolf, but I really do think we're wasting our time. I'll agree with you on the knowledge that these guys have is probably pretty good, it's their attitude that's the problem. They think they know more than anyone else, including experts like Rick SAR! They also have the "It'll never happen to me" attitude that gets a lot of experienced outdoors folks in deep Kim Chee! They came to this Survival site, explained what they were going to do, posted their web-site, and sat back waiting for us to bow in awe! When they didn't hear what they wanted to hear they booked! There is enough collective wisdom from the folks on this site to start our own survival school if we were so inclined. I wouldn't be afraid to be out lost in the woods with most of you guys, I know I could count on you. Their loss is in not paying attention to the posts regarding the hazards of their upcoming expedition. One thing that's been bugging me that I couldn't put my finger on until just now was that when I visited their web-site they made it sound like they knew the country they were headed into like the back of their hand. Then why ask for help from us to identify edible plants...and in October? You read War Eagle's post. Another thing that I had a problem with was how they displayed themselves in their bios. They detailed each other in the third person and included photos explaining that each of them were "members of the Bare Wilderness Team." Anybody else have a problem with that? Sounds kinda like they're trying to be like Les & Bear, only more daring. Maybe I'm wrong, but in my humble opinion you hope for the best but prepare for the worse. That's what a survival site's all about, anyway.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Question #2: One of you guys has made a serious blunder. He's slipped and some how fell on his kife, cutting himself deeply in the thigh and into the main artery there. His blood is pumping out, you're a hundred miles from any people anywhere, what do you do?
    Sarge that could happen on a basic day hike and still be deadly even if you are prepared.

Blog Entries

Cool absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    Sarge that could happen on a basic day hike and still be deadly even if you are prepared.
    Of course it could, but your odds of survival are greater because you can get the help you need. That was my point, that if all you have is a knife and clothes and your waaay out in the woods what do you do? Go back and read Rick SAR's post and recommendations. Read up on many very experienced outdoors folks lost life and limb by not preparing properly. BTW, a tourniquet will help save the day, but it can't be used indefinately. Kwik-Klot is included in every USMC 1st aid kit and has saved the life of many a soldier in Iraq & Afganistan. There is no substitute for proper preparation.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Question Hard Sarge?

Do any of you wolves think I was to hard on the guys from "Bare Wilderness"? Well, I might have been, but, in my opinion, a lot less harder than the cold Canadian winter is going to be on them, especially without all the gear they should be taking. I want to share a portion of text from the book: "Survival in the Outdoors" by Byron Dalrymple. The chapter is: "Pre-emergency Schooling", and the section is titled "Who is "accident prone?""

"I'm sure everyone has heard of what are known "accident prone" individuals. Are you one? Have you ever thought carefully about this?

I have a friend who is an avid and very experienced outdoorsman. Once when I was hunting deer with him he fell in rocks, smashed the stock of his rifle and cut his palm so badly that numerous stitches had to be taken. He was hurrying. On another occasion he shot a rifle that had a bullet from a handload stuck in the chamber-it had come loose-and he rammed another home atop it and blew up the gun. By a great miracle he was not killed, but he was seriously injured. He has fallen off a trail horse onto rocks, been hospitalized with pneumonia after being caught in a blizzard while trying to get out of the wilderness backcountry. These are just a few of his accidents.

So his family calls him accident prone. Even his doctor has sagely agreed that this man has "it" always hanging over him. But I'll tell you something. I have been with this man on a number of occasions under wilderness conditions. And I won't ever go again, regardless of our friendship. The term "accident prone" is simply an excuse.

There is no proof that any man is headed for continuous "accidents" because of his genes. The man I used in the illustration IS accident-prone, you bet. And I'll tell you why. He is incautious, reckless, inept in judgment, overconfident, has too quick a temper, and though he is a delightful companion most times, he totally lacks good sense and good judgment.(cont. next post.)
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool finishing up.

Astrologers believe that all this is in the stars, but as this is beyond proof, I will claim emphatically that for every "accident prone" person you show me, I will show you one-the same one-who has not learned about CAUTION, one in whose head nothing clicks that says, "Watch it, this can be trouble!" when trouble is standing smack in the path just begging to be dodged!"

A final note; go to the home page and read the introduction to this forum. If you think I'm hard you are right, lives might depend on it! tell me what you think, I promise you I'll listen!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin