Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the most ratty piece of gear that you still use regularity?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    love those photos of old gear. Figured I would post a couple of mine.

here's a old compass that I use.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

LOL, I have one just like that from my father....used it to sneak out of China in WWII after their B-29 went down........The North and south are reversed so I don't use it, but it is a reminder of the past that I cherish.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
    My issued polypor's from my 1994 USMC days. These things just will not wear out! I wear them every single day in the winters here.
    Put them in the dryer on high heat. They will wear out, trust me. Having said that, all my polypros that I wash on cold and hang dry are still going strong. As long as I keep them away from my wife, they are safe.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I would say my ratiest piece of gear is a pair of BDU's I wore all the time. Now I only wear them to fix the car and paint. The knees are thinning out with holes in the outer fabric. Most of you here have gear older than me.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I resemble that remark.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    .....................Most of you here have gear older than me.
    LOL, yeah we forget that from time to time....
    A re-loading thread a guy was asking about 'old factory ammo" from 1988...An I had to laugh as I have ammo that I re-loaded in 1988 or earlier...... that I haven't shot up yet.
    And there wasn't any cell phones!

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    IMost of you here have gear older than me.
    Most of us have socks older than you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Some have been wearing them that long.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I resemble that remark.

Yes.....Yes you do!

Default My Wooby

A wool poncho that Martha assembled for me somewhere on the order of thirty years ago. It's a camp item, one that holds many memories. I guess it's the only thing that feels better to put on than my boots.

Mismatched and multicolored threads

The shoulder straps have held up well.

But the neck needs some maintenance.

It seems to get warmer as the years pass.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

An old oversized, quilted blanket my grandmother made for my dad. It is basically a thick wool blanket, then she layed sheets of cotton over it on both sides, and quilted it in with canvas material on both sides. It has hand sewn patches all over it, and smells like an old cellar and wood smoke, but it is the warmest heaviest blanket I have ever seen, and probably weighs 12 pounds.
    When I go camping I always take it in case it gets really cold, and when you throw it over your sleeping bag, it gets a lot warmer. I have never washed it, and it has stains in it from when my dad used it.
    It is something I will have until I die, and then will be passed on to my son. I have told him that you can still smell grandpa's camping trips on this old blanket!

I'm sure glad you posted some pictures 'cause the title My Wooby had me a bit concerned.

We need a thread the defines a wooby.......as you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    An old oversized, quilted blanket my grandmother made for my dad. It is basically a thick wool blanket, then she layed sheets of cotton over it on both sides, and quilted it in with canvas material on both sides. It has hand sewn patches all over it, and smells like an old cellar and wood smoke, but it is the warmest heaviest blanket I have ever seen, and probably weighs 12 pounds.
    When I go camping I always take it in case it gets really cold, and when you throw it over your sleeping bag, it gets a lot warmer. I have never washed it, and it has stains in it from when my dad used it.
    It is something I will have until I die, and then will be passed on to my son. I have told him that you can still smell grandpa's camping trips on this old blanket!
    That's awesome Wildthang

I use my dad's old set of camo overalls he bought in the 80's when I'm deer hunting in the winter. They are the first Realtree camo pattern they came out with lol....
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky93 View Post
    That's awesome Wildthang

I use my dad's old set of camo overalls he bought in the 80's when I'm deer hunting in the winter. They are the first Realtree camo pattern they came out with lol....
    Hey I still wear mine....They are some of the newer hunting clothes I have.

I hate getting rid of old boots that fit well, it's like throwing away an old friend, so I just keep them and listen to the girls gripe about why I keep ratty old boots

Banned

Gonna go searching through my grandma and grandpa's basement for any lost treasures and trinkets that may be of any use in the future. Teehee.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I hate getting rid of old boots that fit well, it's like throwing away an old friend, so I just keep them and listen to the girls gripe about why I keep ratty old boots
    Make me think of the movie Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man lol
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    love those photos of old gear. Figured I would post a couple of mine.

here's a old compass that I use.

I was watching a show today called American Diggers, they were privy digging and found an old compass just like that one that sold for 500 bucks! You might have yourself a little treasure there lol
    Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    My knife{pic taken before i smashed my camera}
    Used to have one very much like it. Easy to sharpen and use. @#$%^&*@#$%^&* the person who stole it!

I think my bit of equipment that deserves nomination is a 3-foot by 7-foot lightweight olive-drab canvas groundcloth that my father gave me when I was but a pup. He used it in the ETO from 1944 thru V-E Day. I used it from 1959 until I sort of "retired" it after his death in 1984.

I only "sort-of" retired it, and continue to use it on special occasions. It has acquired a few small holes that I've patched from the 'ground-side' with OD "90mph" duct tape.

In addition to being on the 1944-45 Grand Tour of Europe -- England, France, Belgium, Germany, Czechoslovakia, etc. -- my old groundcloth has seen service in Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Wisconsin, Minnesota, California and Arizona. [Heck, its been to many more places than I have!]

Regards to all,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 05-08-2012 at 04:50 PM.