Thread: Smallpox in Chad

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Smallpox in Chad

After being declared eradicated in 1980 there is now a serious outbreak in the refugee camps filled with refugees in Chad.

The number one killer in world history is alive and doing fine.

https://www.radiodabanga.org/node/68049

Makes one wonder where it has been hiding for the past 35 years.

And when was the last time you had your smallpox vaccination?

Oh never huh!!

Because it no longer existed!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

OMG!! this is scary. I am trying to confirm it through WHO, but see nothing that indicates that official sources have confirmed that this outbreak is, indeed, smallpox. Could it be measles or something similar instead?

Last time I had my small pox vaccine was summer 2006, courtesy of the USN.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    OMG!! this is scary. I am trying to confirm it through WHO, but see nothing that indicates that official sources have confirmed that this outbreak is, indeed, smallpox. Could it be measles or something similar instead?
    Measles and smallpox are hardly similar or easy to confuse.

I do not know how much good work is coming out of radio Dubanga, but it would not be the first tine a story of epidemic broke in Africa.

One of the last epidemics of smallpox was in the region of Chad/Somalia back in the late 1950s and led to the campaign that seemingly eradicated the disease.

However there have been several viable specimens of smallpox found accidentally preserved since the 1980 eradication announcement, including one specimen of pox scabs found in an envelope inside a library book here in the US. That specimen was turned over to the CDC and they pronounced it still viable after many decades spent in the pages of the book so the virus does not need freezing or careful storage to maintain viability, just the exposure of a warm body to an item that was infected 30-40 years ago.

And as Nate commented, the US military still vaccinates for smallpox.

Seems that the military will admit what the CDC might not.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I'm thinking the CDC only speaks for the US. As mentioned, Africa seems to be the worlds spot for SP. My crew was vaccinated prior to humanitarian missions with NATO in Ghana and Benin.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

None of the major networks are carrying this so I'll take a wait and see approach. There are five different forms of the disease with one type far less severe than the others. I would think if it were smallpox everyone and his kid sister would be reporting on this.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Both the WHO and CDC would be all over this. I don't see anything to go on yet.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    None of the major networks are carrying this so I'll take a wait and see approach. ... I would think if it were smallpox everyone and his kid sister would be reporting on this.
    How about a little hypothetical "supposin'?" (Tin foil hats available in the lobby by the popcorn machine.)

Suppose it were true. Our Government from the very highest level tells the media they must keep an airtight lid on the information. After all, ever since "Blackhawk down" in Somalia, hundreds of thousands of Somalis, Ethiopians, Chadnians, Sudanese, Kenyans, etc., etc., etc., have been pouring into this country each year as legal (and illegal) refugees. They are virtually all on every kind of government welfare program the bleeding hearts and do-right-daddies-and-mommas have been able to conjure up. Of course, they do and will to a person vote for their Big Sugar Daddy and Govt. Santa Clause.

So if the news were to get out about "Smallpox in Chad" and infesting many African countries, the people of the U.S. would demand an immediate halt to the "refugee flood" and just might demand deportation of the refugees. In addition, a vast number of Americans just might also finally, in unison, demand our borders be protected and stop the tsunami of illegal aliens flooding across our borders each day. This would then halt a gigantic voter block for a particular political party. Soooooo, the media propaganda meisters keep a nothing-to-hear here position, as ordered.

Now, hypothetically and just supposin', whadda you think?

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Anything is possible! However I am sure if this was thought to be actual smallpox, the WHO would be all over it and it would be reported at least internationally, if not here. I was unable to find any other news outlet, besides the Radio Dabanga article, that followed up on the story. And the doctor in the article can't really say it's THE smallpox until it's confirmed by laboratory testing, I would think. With so many independent news outlets and forums on the internet, I would think it would be impossible to keep a lid on something like this if it was truly smallpox. BUT I wouldn't put anything past any government at this point!!

And regarding the refugee issue, I live in Minnesota, and we have a HUGE Somalian population (which is kind of strange, considering how cold it is up here!). I have yet to see a single Somalian person stand in a polling line, show up at a caucus, etc. They're pretty insular and seem to keep to themselves. I would think with refugee status, most would not be able to vote. It would be interesting to see how many individuals who are on public assistance are actually voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    How about a little hypothetical "supposin'?" (Tin foil hats available in the lobby by the popcorn machine.)

Suppose it were true. Our Government from the very highest level tells the media they must keep an airtight lid on the information. After all, ever since "Blackhawk down" in Somalia, hundreds of thousands of Somalis, Ethiopians, Chadnians, Sudanese, Kenyans, etc., etc., etc., have been pouring into this country each year as legal (and illegal) refugees. They are virtually all on every kind of government welfare program the bleeding hearts and do-right-daddies-and-mommas have been able to conjure up. Of course, they do and will to a person vote for their Big Sugar Daddy and Govt. Santa Clause.

So if the news were to get out about "Smallpox in Chad" and infesting many African countries, the people of the U.S. would demand an immediate halt to the "refugee flood" and just might demand deportation of the refugees. In addition, a vast number of Americans just might also finally, in unison, demand our borders be protected and stop the tsunami of illegal aliens flooding across our borders each day. This would then halt a gigantic voter block for a particular political party. Soooooo, the media propaganda meisters keep a nothing-to-hear here position, as ordered.

Now, hypothetically and just supposin', whadda you think?

S.M.

How about a little supposin'...

A scoop story like this would sell more advertising space than Carter has liver pills. This would be a watershed event for a news organization. When it comes to money they don't give a whit about what the government says. And let's suppose not one....not a single one....would have the greed to run with it. That's some pretty big supposin'. We're gonna need more tin foil for this.

Of course the Doomsday sites are beating their drums loudly....."Don't forget your Armageddon supplies....get yours here." I wonder why they do that. Hmmmm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How about a little supposin'...

A scoop story like this would sell more advertising space than Carter has liver pills. This would be a watershed event for a news organization. When it comes to money they don't give a whit about what the government says. And let's suppose not one....not a single one....would have the greed to run with it. That's some pretty big supposin'. We're gonna need more tin foil for this.

Of course the Doomsday sites are beating their drums loudly....."Don't forget your Armageddon supplies....get yours here." I wonder why they do that. Hmmmm.
    As I said, "Tin foil hats available in the lobby by the popcorn machine." Line forms to the right.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Careful....that popcorn is probably genetically modified popcorn....I won't even mention the butter.

I got my smallpox vaccine in 2003, courtesy of the US Army.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee