Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Pole Snares

Default Squirrel Pole Snares

Has anyone here ever had any luck catching squirrels using pole snares? I'm debating whether or not I should use them, since they are the easiest to make but I'm not sure if they're efficient.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Depends on your definition of "efficient" !!

Snares and traps, by their very nature are inefficient, which is the reason one sets multiple snares/traps.

If only one out of twenty snares produces, and you have only set 10, you might be hungry tonight. If you have set 30 you still might be hungry tonight if there is no game in the area.

If your area is covered with squirrel a squirrel pole might produce. If the population is scarce you might sit there and watch an empty pole for days.

I have only seen squirrel poles used on TV, and under conditions I questioned for their reality.

Some others here may have had success with them.

I personally prefer not sitting and watching what might be a good meal harassing me from the limbs and believe a 12 gauge to be the ultimate squirrel snare.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Squirrels are, by their very nature, a curious animal. Until you have a firearm. Then they all move to the other end of the woods.

You are looking at one method to get one game. I am not sure why that would be the goal, especially in a survival situation. A person can go for a few weeks without food. My thought is carry a boom-stick and look for "targets of opportunity". Unless you are in the dessert or the glaciers, an animal will surely be spotted at least every other day. Might be hungry, but you ain't gonna starve!

I agree kyrat, kinda hard to go wrong with a shotty for squirrels. Although, the last couple years I have preferred a .410 over the 20 or 12. Saves meat and just as effective.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Thanks for the information and I wasn't just going to use just the squirrel pole traps; I was just wondering if they were worth my time.
    ~A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.~

Quote Originally Posted by ElisaTheDuck View Post
    Thanks for the information and I wasn't just going to use just the squirrel pole traps; I was just wondering if they were worth my time.
    Do you like cooking and eating squirrel?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Depends on your location. You are in Canada and have your laws to contend with and I am not sure what your squirrel population is. Here, we can use shotguns and squirrels are rather bountiful. I can spend a morning and come back with 4-6 squirrels (enough meat to feed 8-12 people) versus spend a morning and set up snares and come back a day later with nothing. Guess which I choose? But that is based on my location, yours maybe quite different.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

I have not tried that particular trap style so was not going to comment. But generally speaking if an animal has an option to go around something unusual they will, i.e. just go on the side or bottom of the pole. It would be fun for you to try one out in your backyard and watch. Use peanut butter with some nuts stuck in it, or just the snare, set up a long play, low resolution cam when you are not there. If you know someone who has a motion activated game cam that you can borrow it would be ideal.

A trap that prevents the animal from going around to get to the bait is best, perhaps at base of bird feeder pole.

If you want to cheat just use sticky glue traps I have caught them trying to chew holes into my house with those. One got its fuzzy tail stuck and chewed it off. I never found the squirrel, perhaps it ran off and bled to death because I never saw any tailless squirrels around.

If you are out where firearms are allowed a .410 shotgun works well or a high powered air gun, or .22lr rifle or pistol, or as long as you don't shoot them too close a 20 gauge is fine. Once my B-in-law shot a dove that flew too close with his semi-auto 12 gauge, it was totally destroyed, nothing to eat. He does not understand the appropriate use of firearms.

I like squirrel meat, it is very lean so best in a stew, also allows you to verify that it is completely cooked so you don't eat any live parasite eggs or stuff like that. I cut up into small pieces. Throw in some bacon if you have it. Whatever starch and vegetables, herbs, salt, spices and it is better than anything from a grocery store if you are not picky. No GMOs or growth hormones.

Check your laws. I would also say - as Hunter63 mentioned - don't trap and kill them if you don't plan on eating them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Do you like cooking and eating squirrel?
    I've never tried squirrel actually, but I want to. Is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    Depends on your location. You are in Canada and have your laws to contend with and I am not sure what your squirrel population is. Here, we can use shotguns and squirrels are rather bountiful. I can spend a morning and come back with 4-6 squirrels (enough meat to feed 8-12 people) versus spend a morning and set up snares and come back a day later with nothing. Guess which I choose? But that is based on my location, yours maybe quite different.
    We have plenty of squirrels in Canada too. :P And I just want to use traps to try something different on catching animals.

Thanks for the info TX. To own a gun in Canada you need a license which I evidently don't have, and I've never used a gun anyway, although some of my brothers have.
    Last edited by ElisaTheDuck; 08-31-2015 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Check your laws. I would also say - as Hunter63 mentioned - don't trap and kill them if you don't plan on eating them.
    I will definitely eat anything I catch, and I believe my laws allow hunting and trapping, at least, I've never read or heard others wise. But thanks for the advice.

If squirrel snares are allowed by law, take the time now to practice and learn their effectiveness. Snares are effective for other game so should be for squirrel too.
    so the definition of a criminal is someone who breaks the law and you want me to believe that somehow more laws make less criminals?

Another question: what can you use squirrel skins for?

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    If squirrel snares are allowed by law, take the time now to practice and learn their effectiveness. Snares are effective for other game so should be for squirrel too.
    Ok thanks (:

I've never tried squirrel actually, but I want to. Is it good?
    There are many ways to fix it....it is lean meat, no fat to speak of....so anything you can ad with enhance the flavor.

Being real hungry helps.....
    DW fixes it with French onion soup mix and rice..then baked.

I have had it on a stick over the fire...and was hungry...hit the spot.
    Haven't had one in a while now....nor have bothered to hunt them...
    If I don't plan on eating it I won't kill it.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

one trap, right bait and set up and I think you could eliminate every squirrel in the area. Squirrels have a good nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Squirrels are, by their very nature, a curios animal. Until you have a firearm. Then they all move to the other end of the woods.

I made the mistake of attaching a red Lazer to my 22 high powered air rifle.... and saw the squirrel dance as I am trying to pull the trigger... I could not stop laughing to take the shot. It happened over and over again.. Here I am trying to end its life and its doing a moon walk for a Lazer dot. Had to turn that thing off before I pissed myself! Must make a great U tube....
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Another question: what can you use squirrel skins for?
    il_570xN.824325879_b7y9.jpg

ask the Russians... they still do it.
    “There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907