Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Annual Indiana(with honorable mention to all other states and Canada) Jamboree

I called today - did not get to talk to a live person, but requested some info. I do not want to put a damper on anything, but looking at their reservations info for the dates we're talking about - there are eight camp sites (non-electric) available when I looked. The group sites are not available. Never having been there, and knowing nothing about it - is this the place we want? I know that it's a busy time of the year for the entire Smoky's area (it is the busiest national park for a reason). If it is, please - everybody chime in. I don't think we can wait too long to make reservations if this is it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just a little bit more info for you; you can only have two vehicles per camp site at the Cades Cove campground. But they do have a nice size parking lot near the ranger station and gift shop that's within walking distance.

Cades Cove Loop is awesome for those that love to see the wildlife. Got a few pictures of bears, deer, and more on our last trip.

EDIT: If I am not mistaken I think they have a few driving trails you can go on as well.

August 8th and 9th my wife and I will be staying at the Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area. It's part of the Daniel Boone National Forest (I think) and runs from extreme northern Tennessee up into Eastern Kentucky. I'll get some information and do a report on it as soon as we get back. That will give us an alternative at least.

I don't care where we go but it sounds like the current location might be booked.

Tennessee honors a lot of state's (most?) CCW and even the primitive campgrounds here appear to offer showers.

http://www.nps.gov/biso/index.htm

We will be staying in the Bandy Creek campground.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

checked with work today and i,m good for those dates. So iwould be a solid yes on being there. Any campground would be fine with me.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The end of the October would be good for me.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Big South Fork is a pristine site. It is federal and well maintained. Good campground and good relitively flat hiking. Has class 3-4 rapids if you have a canoe of kyack. They have mt bike trails too.

f you are hiking or camping outside the campground you will need a "backcountry permit" but they were free the last trip I made in there. You just apply at the ranger station.

Fair road access off I40. It does cross the border between TN and KY.

TN and KY both honor most CCW permits and you should have no problem going through either state. KY is open carry so you need not worry about permit.

What are the dates for this enterprise?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

22nd thru the 24th
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.

I have camped at Bandy Creek and Alum ford before in BSF. It's hard to get your friends to go primitive camping, so most the time we ended up in Bandy Creek.

You are allowed to collect any wood that is downed and dead in Big South Fork. That was always a plus to me.

Let us know what and when you decide. If you want help w/ making calls. PM me.

Looks like we might have come to agreement on the when part. Now we just need to finalize the where part. I love the Smoky Mountains, and Cades Cove sounds like a great place, just not sure if the timing (most popular time of the year) works in our favor.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Who's goin'? Sound off. I will but, I won't know until a few weeks prior.

I plan on going.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, me too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I see someone has scheduled a full moon for October 22nd.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Good. We'll save on batteries for the flashlights.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

I'll be there...
    "Just Get Out!"

I'd love to come BUT....... as I told crash due to 30 people getting fired at work due to failed drug screens. All non (already scheduled) set vacations and personel days won't be allowed until we are back to full staff again. But even if I can't be there physically I'll be with you all in spirit at least.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel
    Why am I not surprised that you of all people would know that?

Blog Entries

I was thinking... Maybe we should set a theme for the gathering each year. A focal point for discussion and equipment. It wouldn't mean were limited to only the theme but it would focus the best we have on that one subject. What do you think?
    "Just Get Out!"

I like that idea actually. It helps with someone who is trying to learn.
    Proof of a higher power, is the power of a horses stride. Line for line, grace and majesty, taking me for a ride.