Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to be a good shot

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    I

If you miss a head/neck shot it MIGHT be a clean miss. However, you might just do something like blow off the animal's bottom jaw; in which case they will suffer long and painfully before dying from starvation.
    Personally I think if you blow off his bottom jaw he's gonna bleed out long before he would die of starvation. That, or the infection would kill him. Not humane by any means, but a lot prettier picture than a jawless deer wandering around int the woods for WEEKS.

Besides, if you use a big enough round, it won't matter if you don't hit the sweet spot in the ear. You can hit him in the jaw and still take his head off.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams
    Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.

Quote Originally Posted by NCO View Post
    Also joining the army helps a bit... You will have no choice but to learn how to shoot properly.
    I not so sure about that. I've often been a bit disappointed at the marksmanship I've seen from the typical soldier.

23/40 is all it takes to qual for the Army.
    If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine_Sapper View Post
    Personally I think if you blow off his bottom jaw he's gonna bleed out long before he would die of starvation. That, or the infection would kill him. Not humane by any means, but a lot prettier picture than a jawless deer wandering around int the woods for WEEKS.
    In this part you are probably correct. Nonetheless, it still is a needlessly suffering animal which provides no benefit to the hunter.

Besides, if you use a big enough round, it won't matter if you don't hit the sweet spot in the ear. You can hit him in the jaw and still take his head off.
    This is patently false. There is no hunting firearm (not even a .50 BMG) that will take off the head of a big-game animal - and most especially not if you hit it in the lower jaw, which would simply be ripped off.

Quote Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
    In this part you are probably correct. Nonetheless, it still is a needlessly suffering animal which provides no benefit to the hunter.

This is patently false. There is no hunting firearm (not even a .50 BMG) that will take off the head of a big-game animal.
    First, If you are talking white tail deer, you are wrong. I'm sorry, but a clean shot from a 50 cal WILL remove the head. I've seen the exit wound that thing will produce. There may be flesh remnants, but there won't be enough left to identify.

Second, maybe this will help you out, since I forgot the smilies in my post;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

Edit; Looking back, I didn't forget the smilies. You obviously just didn't interpret them for what they were meant as...
    Samuel Adams

First, If you are talking white tail deer, you are wrong. I'm sorry, but a clean shot from a 50 cal WILL remove the head. I've seen the exit wound that thing will produce. There may be flesh remnants, but there won't be enough left to identify.
    If there was no head, how could there be an "exit wound, " or for that matter an enterance wound? There would just be a stump at the neck.

I didn't say I'd seen an animal have his head taken off by a .50 cal. What I said was that I've seen the exit wound a .50 cal will produce.

Obviously, not a head shot, as there wouldn't be anything left for the exit wound, as you so astutely stated.

Hence from logical conclusion, if a .50 will go through an APC from 100yds or so, and keep traveling after penetrating BOTH sides of the armored vehicle, I don't think it would have any trouble taking off a deers head.

but your probably wondering what a .50 penetrating an APC has to do with any of this, so lets just end the argument now before anyone gets mad. You can hold your beliefs, and I'll hold mine.

K, pumpkin? thnx, bye.
    Samuel Adams

When I want to destroy my prey, I use an Acme Particle Vaporizer. It works great. I am there exclusive on-line dealer. It will demolish the head of any game animal- guaranteed!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

That's it! I need one of those! How much sir? I'll trade you an Akita puppy...

Samuel Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Montana View Post
    When I want to destroy my prey, I use an Acme Particle Vaporizer. It works great. I am there exclusive on-line dealer. It will demolish the head of any game animal- guaranteed!
    What's the effective range of that thing? I'm thinking VERY large target in Indiana. Shot fired from Massachusetts. Will it work?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Price. Its always comes down to $$$. This sir, is the ultimate survival weapon- price should not be an issue. the ACME particle vaporizer is a necessity and you should give me your credit card number so I can just bill you accordingly. The Akita puppy will be considered gratuity! Thank you
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    What's the effective range of that thing? I'm thinking VERY large target in Indiana. Shot fired from Massachusetts. Will it work?
    If you can visualize it (mentally or physically), the ACME particle vaporizer can hit it. Just think and destroy!!!!!!!!!

It will demolish the head of any game animal- guaranteed!
    I use mine for fluffy pink bunnies.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

If you can visualize it (mentally or physically), the ACME particle vaporizer can hit it. Just think and destroy!!!!!!!!!
    My credit card number is on its way ........ check your PM's.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

The Akita puppy will be considered gratuity! Thank you

Do I get a discount if the gratuity is a fawn brindle?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

(Gawd I love these dogs. Only tiger striped camo dog I'd ever seen...)
    Samuel Adams

Blog Entries

THAT is a beautiful dog!
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

WoW...that is a beautiful dog!

Beautiful breed. I'm not familiar with them. What's their specialty? (what do ya use em for)
    Well why not?

Quote Originally Posted by tennecedar View Post
    Beautiful breed. I'm not familiar with them. What's their specialty? (what do ya use em for)

Akita's don't all look like that. Mine is actually a black mask sable with black overlay and white undercoat. Kinda like my avatar, but sable (red) instead of fawn. Structurally they are going to look like that, at least American Akitas.

AKC classifies them as a working breed. The were originally bred for hunting bear and deer in Japan, used in male/female pairs. The japanese and american have had enough differences bred into them that they are no longer the same breed. I prefer the americans because of a stouter bone structure from the mastiff types bred in in the '20s when they were used for fighting. Now?

They make WONDERFUL hunting dogs. Very high prey drive, if a challenge to train. Excellent guard dogs, and while most people will tell you not to have one in an apartment, if you get out and give the dog some exercise, they do wonderfully. They are a hard headed breed though, very intelligent, and the demand to be integrated into the pack, not shoved outside in the yard.

I've posted this before, but if you want to get a real warm fuzzy for Akita's, read the story of hachiko. While it's a sad story, it shows the breed traits of loyalty, intelligence, etc. to a T.
    Samuel Adams

Blog Entries

I've posted this before, but if you want to get a real warm fuzzy for Akita's, read the story of hachiko. While it's a sad story, it shows the breed traits of loyalty, intelligence, etc. to a T.
    It's a movie now. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark