Thread: Wild asparagus.

Default Wild asparagus.

I never knew that asparagus grows well in the wild. I have about 2 acres of natural area on the back part of my land, and this weekend I spotted asparagus growing up through heavy weeds. The previous owner came by to see me and I ask him how long it had been growing there, and he said for as long as he can remember. He said it never fails to come up in that spot, and it grows right up through heavy weeds. So I guess it is a lot hardier than I ever thought.
    The area it grows in is a low place, and hold water when it rains, so I guess it likes that kind of place to grow. I am going to try to keep the weeds out of it next year and see if I can expand its growing area!
    Asparagus might be a good thing to plant if you have any low lying sunny spots on your land! And would make a good alternate food source in the spring.

http://www.specialtyproduce.com/prod...ragus_1196.php
    Last edited by Wildthang; 05-07-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Invest in a pressure canner. Not sure exactly how much grows there but here it's easy to fill a couple 5 gal buckets a trip.

Wild asparagus is still one of my favorite roadside plants.

Seems to grow around here in the fence lines and under power lines along roads.
    Make sense as the birds eat the seeds for the mature plants, then sit on the fence and drop the seed and a coating of poop down under the wire.

Found some in the woods, but mostly along hedge rows and roads.

Used my enduro motor cycle to ride along country roads, in the fall, when the plants had gotten big and went to seed.
    When a big mature bush was located, I marked the road side with a "blue dot" of spray paint.

In the spring, when the dandelions were blooming in the open, in the yard, not up against the house....is a good indications that the asparagus is up.

I would ride out and find my blue dots, park the bike, head to the fence line with my broom stick, and 'swish" it back and forth in the tall grass.....when it hits a spear, it will "thunk"...then cut it.

Sadly most of my old spots are now under wider roads, or McMansion landscaping, these days.

Eat too much of it, it will make your urine smell 'different".....Note to BG.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

So it was you with the blue dots!? I just hope you're happy. Blamed things are everywhere.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well now , just park your bike and walk into the ditch, to the fence, and start cutting........LOL....Looks like a lot of good hunting.

Look out for the little old ladies with black over-coats and babushkas,,,,they will beat you with their broom sticks.....(that's where I got the idea, so some thing can be learned by getting beat.....LOL)

I watched my favorite spots being dozed, and torn up....made me want to dig up those plants....what a waste.

Hunter, how does the wild asparagus taste? Does it taste anything like the domestic stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Hunter, how does the wild asparagus taste? Does it taste anything like the domestic stuff?
    I grew some in my garden, and couldn't tell the difference except the wild was all different sizes, and there were a couple different types, some had purple/white stalks and some were more yellow green.

As far as taste, I like wild better as it was 'free' and something I found, in my secrets places, felt like i was getting away with something....and sometimes you had to beat someone else out there or get 'skunked".

One spot had about 5 big plants along a hedgerow, extending out in and dividing a couple of fields.

Got out there and found 4 of the 5 plants cut down....someone had beat me to it.....but didn't get the last one.....So I got about a pound off the last.

As I would cut about every 3 days in season, (2 days if it rains), figured the the other person knew that as well......So I went back on the second day....cut about 2 pounds per plant, was on the 4 plant when this guy shows up.......MY competition!

Guy says, "Oh ya beat me too it"....I said yeah......But he didn't head for the farthest and last plant....so I didn't either....Heh, heh, heh.

Go back to the road, to my truck, and the guy was waiting in his car, and started following me, thinking I going to my next spot....so just drove around for an hour, till he gave up....then went to my next spot......LOL

Another spot I had found was on airport property, that I used to hunt....and found a nice patch.
    After a lot of years they fenced this off....so I just hopped the fence, and picked it anyway.

One day was cutting away, and I saw a city cop at the fence.....so I walked back with my bag of asparagus, hopped back over the fence.
    He started giving me a bad time about trespassing, etc,..... Blah, blah, blah....Then looked at my bag and asked, "Where did you get that?"

So I told him, "I'm not gonna tell you,.... go find your own."

(Used to love the "hunt" of it all, can you tell....LOL)

Thanks Hunter, I guess I didn't know how lucky I am. Now I have to cut some and see how it tastes. And dont let me catch you in my asparagas patch you jackwagon

Thanks Hunter, I guess I didn't know how lucky I am. Now I have to cut some and see how it tastes. And dont let me catch you in my asparagas patch you jackwagon
    What's your address.............?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    What's your address.............?
    Just come on down and well pick it together!

Just come on down and well pick it together!
    Thanks for the invite.
    Very tempting.....not real cost effective, but tempting, and sounds like fun, been a while....I need to get out and find some new places to pick...gotta drive farther as everything is getting built up....sad.

Thanks for the invite.
    Very tempting.....not real cost effective, but tempting, and sounds like fun, been a while....I need to get out and find some new places to pick...gotta drive farther as everything is getting built up....sad.
    I dont know how much property you have, but you might think about planting your own patch. I think the stuff is pretty hardy from what i have seen!

I like it, but some how it's not the same growing your own, as it is picking it wild....if ya know what I mean.

Now I just stop by an Amish farm and buy a bunch for a couple of bucks....getting old and lazy, I guess

I like it, but some how it's not the same growing your own, as it is picking it wild....if ya know what I mean.

Now I just stop by an Amish farm and buy a bunch for a couple of bucks....getting old and lazy, I guess
    Well plant some down the road from your house and all up and down the road. Then you can be like Johnny Appleseed,.............Hunter Asparaguseed

Sadly, I missed both wild asparagus and morels this year due to the early,early early heat wave we have had since the tornado came through,we had a bout of cold weather with snow 2 days post tornado,then another warm up followed by about 3 days with frost and now warmed up again,somewhere in there,I issed it,saw asparagus gone to seed last week,it broke my heart
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Planting from seed is not very practical. Can't remember the exact number of years it takes for a seed to germinate into something worth while.