Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Super Mobile Camper CP Survival Project

Blog Entries

Talking The Super Mobile Camper CP Survival Project

Ok - not sure what the name is going to be yet - guessing I'll document the project in this thread. Here's a pic of what I'm working with:
    IMG00047.jpg

Now before you ask - there are a few more pics but I need to get them from the phone to here. They'll come a bit later once I get time.

Specs: 31 Foot - 1970 Airstream.
    Cost: $2800
    Model: Sovereign Twin
    Estimated cost of upgrades to date: $1400

Keep in mind she had most of the cabinets etc, but almost no electrical, plumbing, gas lines, worked. When I got it it was literally a silent tin box.

With that 1400 - to date:
    1. Modified the propane tank bracket to hold 40lb tanks versus the original 30's
    2. Redid the propane lines, regulator, connection to the propane furnace, cook stove, refrigerator.
    3. Installed a new deep cycle battery.
    4. Gutted and installed new 12V and 110VAC lighting/switches
    5. Rebuilt the original propane furnace - which is extremely durable.
    6. Fixed and got the old A/C unit and electric heater working
    7. New beds
    8. repositioned and remounted most of the interior walls and brackets to brace the interior better.
    9. New electric brakes
    10. Got part of my solar array started - more to follow
    11. Installed a brand new Norcold 3-way refrigerater that will operate on AC or DC electric, plus propane.
    12. Installed a minibar
    13. Pulled about a gazillion dents. Riveted all lose panels.
    14. Rebuilt the tail light assemblies then worked a little more on number 12
    15. Setup the basic frame for my solar array for the top of the airstream.
    16. Began work to install and test the CB, HAM, and Scanner systems.
    17. Rebuilt the storage cabinets to hold more number 10 cans.

Ok brain blanking out - will insert more once I get back from number 12.
    Life is Survival - Live each day as if it was your last.
    Survival Fitness

Airstream is one of the best built trailers made.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

You do realize you're going to be sooooo ticked if everything works but the floating part.

Did you know that Airstream was the original designer of the lumpy chair? It's true.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Here's the Airstream 37. This was a particularly lumpy chair. Many now consider this a collectible. If you look closely, you'll also see an early Tata Nano camping chair. Now THAT's a collectible.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wow, I hope the guy in the chair never does something illegal. My wife asked when I posed for that picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Here's the Airstream 37. This was a particularly lumpy chair. Many now consider this a collectible. If you look closely, you'll also see an early Tata Nano camping chair. Now THAT's a collectible.

Now that's an idea. I could move my recliner outdoors and call it camping.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

LOL yeah the floating part - that will be in later stages I'm thinking.... but still want to go for it.

The biggest project I'm jumping on now is the solar array. Building a fully automated rotating, foldout solar array with aluminum tubing and actuators will be a bit of work.

Thanks to the post above - I'll now be looking for a lazy boy recliner to round out the interior
    Survival Fitness

Hey, Canid - didn't we have a conversation some time back about building a solar array that tracks the sun? I think you were working on one or was going to. I did a search but I couldn't find the thread.

Blog Entries

Update for this week:

Snow caught me off guard. Was making great progress fine tuning things after I did a good cold weather test of the many built in heat systems.

However, - discovered that the old univolt charge controller is in fact shot beyond help. Resurrecting her after all those years of no use was too much for the univolt. I am now in the middle of completely rebuilding the 12 volt electrical system. Good thing is, it ensures the electrical system is more stable and will allow me to implement some early improvements to that design. I am setting up two separate battery banks. Several advantages popped up the second I started fiddling with it all:

The univolt charge controller (with built in proprietary fuse block) sits on the right rear side of the airstream. By reframing the inside of the electrical access pocket - I can mount the new fuse block I'm building, plus the new charge controller, higher in that area behind the access door. That frees up enough space along the floor for a four battery deep cycle bank made from heavy duty 12-volt batteries.

Luckily - there weren't many circuits on the original 12-volt schematic. I now have worked in expansion blocks in the fuse assembly to add circuits.

Quick note: a few things I noticed that led me to this path - ie replacing the whole controller and building the fuse block etc.... : If you hear buzzing when your univolt is on, get a voltmeter and test the output across each of the five primary circuits (on a 1970 at least). Test your alternating current input, and check all your fuses. If you get hokey readings on the voltage or amps - dig deeper. In my case the whole system needed to go. My new system will be much quieter, more efficient, have its own cooling system, and even have a remote controller wired on a phone cable.

Now to the 2nd battery bank. I decided I want to be able to isolate a 2nd battery bank for just the communications, a backup heater, and to strictly handle the solar. If I do things right, I will in fact be able to switch the solar panels I setup between each bank to avoid over charging (even though I have charge controllers - who knows if those would ever go out). I'm setting up - in the dead space above the old airstream refrigerator pocket - a series of golf cart batteries. Once they are setup - I will put some photos in here.

I will most likely put some photos of the new electrical compartment shortly.

More to follow.....

Rick
    Survival Fitness

Got any before pictures of the inside. Pics along the way showing your progress would be instructive as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries
    Survival Fitness

It sure appears to be in excellent shape on the inside. Except for the style of the furniture, you wouldn't ever think it was 41 years old. Very nice.

Blog Entries

made excellent progress today up until I ran into a few wires I'm going to have to reroute. Have most of the fuse blocks now in place. Going to most likely wire the 110V AC outlet for the controller soon as I thaw out from today's efforts. Neat little trick today with my propane torch: It was so cold the thing would practically do nothing, so took a standard propane canister that was subzero and heated it to a useful temp by filling a sink with warm water, letting the tank warm back up - and voila! was back in business.

Soldered the primary bridge cables for the fuse blocks (to carry positive current to the controller). Blade connectors and main 10 gauge circuits are now terminated and connected. New blade style auto fuses in place to replace the old round bus fuses from the old system.

I owe you guys some good pictures - and I will see if I can't get a whole bunch in here once the setup is looking less like a jumbled up mess. After that the work begins on the solar charge controller (separate location) and the second battery bank.

Based on the weather here, might be a bit til I get the aluminum stock out and start crawling around on the roof to build the solar array frame. Will need actuators and pivots plus all the heavy duty cabling, plus a joiner box to bring the power together from each panel.
    Survival Fitness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    It sure appears to be in excellent shape on the inside. Except for the style of the furniture, you wouldn't ever think it was 41 years old. Very nice.
    Would you believe I paid only 2800 for it? Originally the seller wanted 3500 or so, and I had bid on another at an auction that eventually went (about same condition) for 5000 with a few essential parts missing.
    Survival Fitness

But, but, but, we like jumbled messes. That's how we learn.

One thing I am kinda' curious about. How do you plan on protecting the Solar Array while traveling. This might be a dumb question as I have no clue about Solar Arrays or whether they would even need protecting while moving. Will the frame collapse and/or fold? Will there be a protective covering that will allow the suns rays to still hit the panels(like plexiglass)?
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Blog Entries

Today I made a great deal of progress. See the pictures below and you'll understand. I basically completely rebuilt the charging/electrical compartment in the airstream. Originally there was a single 1970 univolt charge controller with built-in fuse block. It even had the old bus fuses.

To facilitate the project - I started out by replacing the 1/4 inch wood backing that formed the rear of the compartment, and replaced it with 3/4 inch manufactured ply. Once this was done - I was able to arrange the new components for the project in a firm location and free up the space that was originally occupied by the 1970's components.

Hmm pictures not loading - file size too big. Will see if I can find a way to shrink them.
    Survival Fitness

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    One thing I am kinda' curious about. How do you plan on protecting the Solar Array while traveling. This might be a dumb question as I have no clue about Solar Arrays or whether they would even need protecting while moving. Will the frame collapse and/or fold? Will there be a protective covering that will allow the suns rays to still hit the panels(like plexiglass)?
    I'm planning on designing a full frame setup out of aluminum stock - and yes it will fold and or slide in/out. Final design has not been decided yet. Alot depends on the cost of the "actuators" I will need to automate it all.
    Survival Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper_rick View Post
    Hmm pictures not loading - file size too big. Will see if I can find a way to shrink them.
    You can download them to Photbucket or Webshots and the post them here.
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Blog Entries

ok well apparently uploading the 3 main pics i wanted won't happen, so i'm going to try the link technique. If that doesn't work I'll email the mods here and ask them to help out with it. I'm pretty sure there are a few folks out there that would like to know how to replace the old systems in their airstreams....Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Survival Fitness