Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Honey

LOL no, uh, i hadn't realized that until I posted it, it was just the way I took the pic. He was actually looking at something on the other side of the fence and her butt just got in the way of my picture.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

great!!!!!!
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMax View Post
    great!!!!!!
    uh, which part? LOL

Please don't let it be the butt part. Please oh please oh please.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel_chick View Post
    Now, can you cure laziness? I hate the heat and I have not done a damn thing all summer!
    Sure, a swift kick in the rear will get that laziness right in check!

Along with some caffine, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayden Tor View Post
    Sure, a swift kick will get that laziness in the right cheek!
    that's what you really meant, right?

it's been hot and i've not gotten much done this summer either for that matter.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

haha. uh, I think everyone got confused! I know that I am.

And caffine doesn't help at this point. It needs to cool off now, someone turn the heater off! 115 degrees today again. Ugh!

So I hear that natural un processed honey has great uses. Does anyone know of any of them?
    i have always heard that if you use/eat Local honey it will help with allergies. but the trick is.. it needs to be local...the bee's need to be makin the honey out of what ever is causing your head to stop up. but you still need to look into the local honey. some of them just plant a lot of clover around there hives.
    I bring nothing to the table

Don't forget the wax. I go through a lot of wax every year. I make bullet lube for smokless using 50/50 beewax and white litheum grease and for the muzzleloaders using 25/75 beeswax and Crisco. I use it to make cream and salves and a discussed in other threads, waterproofing leather and wood.

I make my own pipes and use it to seal the stem to the bowel and as a seal on some canned good.

It is a super rust preventative on tools...The list goes on.

crayons- I will mention that to a friend of mine, she has bad allergies and the allergy meds don't work so well.

peter- wow, that is a lot of good info. The bullet lube, that is a good idea, we have a 50 cal. Is that any harder to clean out?

Quote Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
    My favorite use of honey is to ferment it into mead! Maybe not survival oriented, but really tasty and relieves aches, pains, and stress. Do not over-use, it can cause some of the most THUNDEROUS hangovers.
    I get this divine nectar regularly at medieval events, it once incapacitated half our group's leadership for a whole day. Me included. Oops!
    Max Oliver winery here in indiana does mail order they make a very good one it's called camelot mead. I think they ship out of state if your interseted. google oliver winery to get their web address.

crayons- I will mention that to a friend of mine, she has bad allergies and the allergy meds don't work so well.

peter- wow, that is a lot of good info. The bullet lube, that is a good idea, we have a 50 cal. Is that any harder to clean out?
    Using the wax/Crisco there shouldn't be any lube to clean out. If there is a trace it'll come right out.

Quote Originally Posted by ieatcrayons View Post
    i have always heard that if you use/eat Local honey it will help with allergies. but the trick is.. it needs to be local...the bee's need to be makin the honey out of what ever is causing your head to stop up. but you still need to look into the local honey. some of them just plant a lot of clover around there hives.
    I think if anything it'd need to be wildflower honey, local or not. Because yes, most honey is clover and that'll do you no good against golderod.

anyone gather honey from the wild ever? Follow some honey bees back to their hive and pull a winnie the pooh on them?

Yes, but not really wilds. The last feral bee job I did I was able to harvest some honey.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have only gathered wild honey one time here in FLA. it was a hive in Pine Lakes. the Bees built thier combs in a hollow oak tree. i was able to get about one or two cups of honey and the wax was the real prize!!! i felt lucky because i only recieved five or six stings in the process. i gathered the comb at day break when the bees were least active
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

if you smoke the hive you will get even less stings. Never got any honey from a wild hive but know how it is done. Read the foxfire books,use a smoker cut the top of the tree with a saw then the bottom and you have your own natural hive that you can now move wherever you want. I think you may need to smoke them often during the process. Not sure but any place that has bee supplies should have a smoker. Here is a link to a site for beekeeping supplies.
    http://www.millerbeesupply.com/
    there are plenty just do a search for beekeeping supplies, The main reason I went there was to get a picture of a smoker so y'all could understand what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 01-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.

I was able to collect some honey and wax recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We apparently have a feral hive around here somewhere. I noticed a lone honey bee on my flowers in the back on Wednesday. On Thursday there must have been 20 or so collecting pollen. Really cool. It's the most honey bees I've seen wild around here in several years. The flowers were loaded with them today.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Last edited by catfish10101; 09-13-2009 at 03:42 AM.