Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Grylls or Mears?

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

Nothing wrong with snake blood, and tree bark grubs with a side of slug slime ^^
    "What Defines A God,
    The Powers They Behold,
    Or How They Wield Them?"

"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

* PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT *

Blog Entries

Cool And...

Quote Originally Posted by Kosuki View Post
    Nothing wrong with snake blood, and tree bark grubs with a side of slug slime ^^
    Along with a pint of urine!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Check out Four Dog Stove Company. They have Mors Kochanski books and pamphlets for sale and on October are offering a 7 day "Wilderness Skills- Total Immersion" course led by Kochanski. Tony

http://fourdog.com/
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    With what he eats, and drinks.....I don't know if I would eat that.
    People eat raccoon and they eat some nasty things to lol. And shrimp are cockroaches of the sea and people pay good money for those.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by asemery View Post
    Check out Four Dog Stove Company. They have Mors Kochanski books and pamphlets for sale and on October are offering a 7 day "Wilderness Skills- Total Immersion" course led by Kochanski. Tony

http://fourdog.com/
    I bought mine here, they're a bit cheaper.

http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderne..._Bushcraft.htm
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi Guys, new to the forum, but new to the subject, at the ripe old age of 65 :-)
    BG, is fun to watch for his showmanship, Mears I have never seen, but John Wiseman is the guy I want with me, have used his book for years to teach my students.

I would just watch them all for various bits of information that can generate ideas for further thought. I can practice many of the suggestions they put up to see, but can use common sense to eliminate or do more research on the ones that are more critical in nature. And most of the shows show the disclaimer that crews are there and in some cases, local experts give the hosts hints and information on the flora and fauna in that area. Just don't take every word they speak as Gospel with out testing.
    USN/USNTC/SD

When trebuchets are outlawed, only outlaws will have trebuchets.

Greetings from the Kingdom of An Tir and the Baroney of the 3 Mountains.

I love Bear Grylls, alot of what he does is dangerous, but when in dire circumstances, you risk nothing you gain nothing. I've recently been watching Dual Survival and will be getting the Survivorman series on DVD.

I agree with the above post, you learn something differant from all of them and they are all useful in their own forms. What Bear puts his body through is amazing, but it just goes to show it can be done. Cody is great he showed how to make a container out of a tree stump by burning the inner bark with coals, which i've never seen done or heard of before.

Every survival show in my opinion has their strong points and their let downs.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Made some comments in red.

Quote Originally Posted by SfS View Post
    I love Bear Grylls, alot of what he does is dangerous, Like drinking his own urine.

but when in dire circumstances, you risk nothing you gain nothing. .That does not excuse putting your life in further danger,

I've recently been watching Dual Survival and will be getting the Survivorman series on DVD. I have it, it's really great. Hope you've been watching the new Survivorman series. The last episode was great, Les was subtly slamming Grylls. Ironically Les is still on Discovery and Grylls has been fired!

I agree with the above post, you learn something differant from all of them and they are all useful in their own forms. What Bear puts his body through is amazing, but it just goes to show it can be done. Only be strong, young, athletic young folks.

Cody is great he showed how to make a container out of a tree stump by burning the inner bark with coals, which i've never seen done or heard of before. Years ago one of the best Survival shows on Discovery also showed that..."Marine Corps Survival School.

Every survival show in my opinion has their strong points and their let downs. Yes, I agree, Bear does have a cute Tush!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

On Monday, DC did a four hour MvW marathon, which I DVRer.
    While watching it, later, my thought was, "OMG, he fell down, again."
    Now, during this marathon, he did cover some solid skills, while falling into riverd, falling into crevases, falling off of vines, etc.
    I will continue to watch MvW, but one episode at a time. I think thrre is a limit to how many times one can fall in 60 minutes.
    As for being stranded with him, I'd say "see ya", because I wouldn't want yo be stuck taking care of his impetuously broken leg.
    I"ve got some You Tubing to do, because I think that I have missed some important stuff. Thanks for that, folks.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

PS...Grylls is off DC?
    Wow, the Outdoor channel is going to have a field day; Hawke, Canterbury, and noe Grylls up for grabs...
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Blog Entries

Cool Pssst!

Quote Originally Posted by jfeatherjohn View Post
    PS...Grylls is off DC?
    Wow, the Outdoor channel is going to have a field day; Hawke, Canterbury, and noe Grylls up for grabs...
    Yo FJ, keep the news about the Hawkes on the down-low...we wouldn't want to depress Hunter, o.k.?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

lol definitely without Grylls: I don't want to die having to take care of his injuries from his stupid hyperactive antics (ok with medic and production crew, but should not be present to gullible public). Funny tv but not reality.

Amen. It seemed that Dave Canterbury had a flashback to a civil war documentary and thought it would be a cool idea to gunpowder a non-lifethreatening would. He would have been better off to urinate on it and seal it up than do that. It was not a heavy bleeder. He lost just a bit of credulity with that, but the thing with survival is that it is ultimately a solitary pursuit, so you figure out what works for you or Darwin takes over. I still watch all these guys when possible (exc for BG) just to get their perspectives. Like any advice, the listener decides what to do with the given information. That is the fun of it all and is why forums and groups like this exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Yo FJ, keep the news about the Hawkes on the down-low...we wouldn't want to depress Hunter, o.k.?
    What........Why didn't see this coming?.....Aw man...bummer.....

BTW, who carries gunpowder to cauterize wounds?....Shooting stuff, yes......This ranks in the category of Mr Dumas.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Dual Survival, Survivorman and Ray mears shows.. I've seen every single episode of these shows and I love 'em.
    After watching a few episodes of Bear's Ultimate survival I knew enough.. this is ment to entertain people instead of teaching them anything about survival. I do not treat the forest asif it was a parkour course and I would not eat raw meat while i have the tools to cook it.

Hyper active folk also tend to get on my nerves and the merchandise he sells (survival knife etc) turn out to be rubbish.
    So yeah.. give me Mears
    Heading "Into the wild" by May 2013
    Follow me at http://thedutchhermit.blogspot.nl/

I hate to get involved in arguments about who is the best and who is real/fake, but please allow me to provide information that others may not have. I have not seen many of the survival shows, but I was interested to see "Survival in Samoa" by Ray Mears on the Internet. Mears did not attempt to do anything new but showed some of the techniques used by Samoan villagers. I think he did a good job without a lot of hype.

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Samoa (Western Samoa) and can attest to the techniques shown. For example, Mears shows moray eels being captured in a box trap. That technique is used to capture small morays (the large ones can be poisonous) to cook on hot stones for the Sunday dinner. I lived with a Samoan family and helped pepare the meals many times. I support Ray Mears for informative, low key films.
    Faiaoga ("schoolteacher" in Samoan)
    Last edited by Faiaoga; 12-10-2012 at 04:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Grylls is my man, sorry Survivorman fans

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
    Grylls is my man, sorry Survivorman fans
    Don't apologize, just try to find the poor slob some work, ok? According to Les' website he'll soon be back on the tube teaching survival!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It's OK Sarge, he only has seven posts.

Give him time to read three more threads and make two or three more posts and he will realize he knows more than Bear and change sides.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?