Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus "JUDGE".....Your experience and grips available....?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Taurus "JUDGE".....Your experience and grips available....?

I was going to reincarnate a older thread about the "Judge" but elected to start fresh.

I bought the Stainless 3" barrel, 3" chamber model yesterday. I have decided I don't like the sponge'bob grips, and wonder if anyone knows of aftermarket grips for the mid-size Taurus.

So, I see some of you own this tool, does anyone have any experience with it, good, bad or ugly......?

Yes, I know Taurus has a hit or miss quality reputation.

My aunt has one, I haven't got to shoot it yet, but my brother has. She has the Winchester PDX1 .410 shells in it for home defense, and the are bad arse. I'm going to get my turn to get my hands on it over the summer...

Here is a video of the Winchester ammo

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

I own the Circuit Judge, and did a review on it.
    Cool,.... but not real practical for my uses.

But a lot of peopel like them, I guess. ......although we didn't sell out a deck of cards at the last D.U.Dinner, so we gave people their money back and returned the Judge to the store.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

I am not thinking of it for rogue humans. More for harvesting Spruce Hens, Ptarmigan and Hares......With a bear in the tent option.

i had the public defender model, fun as heck to shoot but the sights arent very accurate ,with colt loads , patterns on the 410 were very open and lots of holes in them, 10-15 ft was like the best 410 range even with #8 skeet loads, as for grips i seen some awhile back on ebay and gunbroker, they were wooden grips

A tool is only great for which it was designed. The judge was intended for close quarter protection, basically self defense within 20yds. As such, for a home defense gun to keep in the side table or a side arm for hiking/camping to use against snakes and coyotes, it is a great gun! If you are looking to harvest game with it, I would suggest learning to get very close. Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by natertot View Post
    A tool is only great for which it was designed. The judge was intended for close quarter protection, basically self defense within 20yds. As such, for a home defense gun to keep in the side table or a side arm for hiking/camping to use against snakes and coyotes, it is a great gun! If you are looking to harvest game with it, I would suggest learning to get very close. Just my $.02.
    I'm thinking that Taurus/Rossi, are making their niche in the market but making "cool' , "what if",and "wish they still made....' products.....that actually have nothing to do with real thought to 'use".........Or makeing knock-offs of others designs.

That being said, some one making something 'cool" is kinda fun, instead of the "same old thing"........Gotta give them credit for that.

P.S. If your shooting at a snake, with a .410 loaded Judge, make sure he out in front of you a ways, so you don't hit your foot........

Just my opinion, but the Judge appears to me to be a gun for people that are not marksmen, but still want protection. I always invisioned a non shooting type person firing a .410 shot on the first round, then a .45 round after the attacker has been adled by the buckshot.
    I think it is a great weapon for people that do not shoot on a regular basis, or even with bad eyesight and needs the spread of the buckshot to ward off an attacker.
    I have never shot one, so I could be wrong, but this is the impression I get!

wildthang i think u got it , the point and shot, i did carry mine as yu said i had #6 loads first and the a handloaded 45colt 185gr XTP bullet for the next 4loads,

How bad did the .45 key-hole?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    How bad did the .45 key-hole?
    It probably looked like a steel banana hit the target

I can honestly say the the Circuit Judge....carbine version, longer barrel shoots pretty good...but the .410 derringer, short barrel like the Judge,..... I don't think it ever shot a round hole.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I can honestly say the the Circuit Judge....carbine version, longer barrel shoots pretty good...but the .410 derringer, short barrel like the Judge,..... I don't think it ever shot a round hole.
    Yeah it probably just has enough barrel to stabilize the bullet until it just clears the end!

The Japanese used wooden bullets in their Arisaka rifles. The would loblolly when they left the barrel. My uncle was on the receiving end of one. They were okay for about 50 yards but would burn up after that. You probably couldn't shoot a round hole with one of those either.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The Japanese used wooden bullets in their Arisaka rifles. The would loblolly when they left the barrel. My uncle was on the receiving end of one. They were okay for about 50 yards but would burn up after that. You probably couldn't shoot a round hole with one of those either.
    I bet they started friction fires a lot!

They would ignite and burn up after being fired. A lot of armies used them for training but, to my knowledge, the Japanese are the only ones that used them in combat. So, yeah, they really did start friction fires.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I wonder how many received purple hearts because of "splinters"?!

That is a whole new definition of a "Cork Gun"!

That was my uncle's complaint. He actually was wounded three times. Twice with lead and once with wood. He said the wood was the worst because of the splinters or tiny bits of wood as it were.

I wish we could own that out here in Kalifornia.. I love that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    I wish we could own that out here in Kalifornia.. I love that gun.
    I would not live in a state where I couldn't own a gun, but I bet the criminals have them though!