Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 1395

Thread: Knife/Survival Knife Info.

nope, nope, nope, i stay away from wives and ex-wives, it's a whole lot safer.

Blog Entries

I put on the mocs, sneak up around the bush, aha! there is that Wild Turkey. As I slowly move in for the kill, I don't need no stinkin knife, bow, or gun. As I slowly sneak up on the Turkey, watching, always watching for the hen bird that may make alot of racket.

Slowly, all of a sudden, swish... my hand is around the neck of the Turkey. Constantly looking and listening for the hen bird or the little chicks that keep running around.

I reach up...ready to twist the neck of that Wild Turkey...Aw Crap. I've been busted by the hen bird, the chicks saw me.

Maaa....Daddy's opening that bottle again.

Ah, another day, another hunt.

The word for knife in Portuguese is "Faca". I teach it as an acrostic for selecting a knife.

F - Forte (strong)
    A - Amolada (sharp)
    C - Curto (short)
    A - Aqui (here, as in the knife you have with you)

Beyond that just make sure it looks like a knife.

Point, edge, handle, sheath. No need to complicate things.
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Rambo said this is a good one

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Doubles as a cleaver, camp axe, tomahawk, and can opener
    Last edited by Tripwire; 04-11-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Needs to be moderately sized. Needs to be able to chop decent size wood, down a tree if you absolutley have to, and be small enough to do any light task.
    This is a good choice,
    http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-0158.../dp/B000VL4G30
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Its build like a tank, has decent edge retention, weighted and sized perfectly as a lightweight trekking knife with plenty of firepower.
    Last edited by justin_baker; 04-11-2010 at 03:28 AM.

This is a typical..."What's the best survival knife?" .....thread. Enjoying seeing one crop up now and then. Mostly "then", however.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    This is a typical..."What's the best survival knife?" .....thread. Enjoying seeing one crop up now and then. Mostly "then", however.
    Did you enjoy this one Rick?
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

I like the knife in your fist post sarge and can anybody say derailed? XD
    Survival

Blog Entries

Cool ??????

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Dylan View Post
    I like the knife in your fist post sarge and can anybody say derailed? XD
    My "fist" post? Oh, you mean this one? This is why school is so important, you must learn how to spell! The adults that mis-spell on here are no longer in school, so they can't help it!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    My "fist" post? Oh, you mean this one? This is why school is so important, you must learn how to spell! The adults that mis-spell on here are no longer in school, so they can't help it!
    And with out a "spellchecker", like working with out a net........used to be real important?
    Sarge, you are showing your/our age, LOL., pet peeve of mine as well.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was talking about the mora 200 and my bad about the spelling. I didn't realize that my keyboards batteries were dying and sometime the keys wouldn't work. I now have new batteries tho ^__^
    Survival

Man, you were doing so well RD, then you had to go ask that question. Read what FVR had to say about knives, he's right, but I'll qualify it with you're still better off with one than without. Whatever knife you have with you, know what you can do with it before you head out and that's going to be your survival knife. Think in these terms: if you're in a situation in the wilderness where just your own survival (getting out of that situation) is your only concern, did you have the good sense to bring a knife to begin with? If you answered yes, good on ya', if no, then you have hopefully taken some time to learn how to survive without a knife.

(ah ha! he responded, thank you Trax)

...and if you really want to go shopping for a knife, check out klkak's reviews on the mora.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Dylan View Post
    I was talking about the mora 200 and my bad about the spelling. I didn't realize that my keyboards batteries were dying and sometime the keys wouldn't work. I now have new batteries tho ^__^
    Must be working off of a laptop. And it's Mora 2000, not 200. Trax is right, read the reviews using the links I posted earlier. Here's why we hate that question around here; if you ask it you'll get over a hundred different answers because everybody has their faves! Many will cost a lot more than you will have the loot for. Many will not be right for you. That's why I listed the Mora knives. They get the job done at a reasonable cost & if you add that long-bladed knife then you're pretty well equipped for anything. Also, there is no "one, perfect, survival knife." No "one size fits all." I have several knives & I bought them because I liked the way they looked. Like FVR, I believe it was, said: You can get by with a butcher knife if you had to. For awhile Bear Grylls tried to sell a custom made knife from Baileys in the UK with a 4" blade...The cost was over $700. I don't think he sold very many.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

For me - it's not that I mind the question - it's that there is no correct answer. By the way - what do you mean by the term "survival knife"?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    For me - it's not that I mind the question - it's that there is no correct answer. By the way - what do you mean by the term "survival knife"?

Perhaps you are onto something, Crash. Maybe the problem is what it is called. I have about 60 to 80 knives, but I do not own a survival knife. But then I also have NO survival gear/equipment, nor any survival skills.

Maybe we should BAN the words: "Survival Knife", and substitute: "reachable sharp tool". Or "RST" Now I have a RST under the seat of my Snow Machine. I have a RST in the grain barn for cutting feedbags, and bailing-twine. I generally have a RST on my belt.

Hey: Sarge why not BAN the word Survival knife.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Perhaps you are onto something, Crash. Maybe the problem is what it is called. I have about 60 to 80 knives, but I do not own a survival knife. But then I also have NO survival gear/equipment, nor any survival skills.
    I agree.
    The idea of any one thing being a "Survival X" is totally simplistic and can be misleading if taken literally.
    And some of the younger folks just might take it that way.

Then again...there are some items that are generally geared toward that very thing. SPOT, 36 hour candles, Quikclot, water straws, etc. There's nothing wrong with the word or the concept. There are situations when it's quite practical. Any knife you use in a survival situation would, in fact, be a "survival" knife.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Then again...there are some items that are generally geared toward that very thing. SPOT, 36 hour candles, Quikclot, water straws, etc. There's nothing wrong with the word or the concept. There are situations when it's quite practical. Any knife you use in a survival situation would, in fact, be a "survival" knife.
    But then why label it as such?
    IMO it dilutes the concept.

Q: What's the best survival knife?
    A: The one that helps you survive

End of discussion

I now understand. And he probably didnt sell any of his knifes.
    Survival

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rick, by discouraging the use of the Words like "Survival Knife", we reinforce, and hammer the idea that anything "reachable and sharp", even a sharp rock, or broken glass is a tool.

This Forum could lead the paradigm shift, we could change the probability of the survival of one human life, by teaching the world to not think in terms of a word tool for a set application, but that any"thing" reachable is a tool. We really could do this.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 04-11-2010 at 06:36 PM.