Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best locations / Survival stories

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Did.....I mention....I offer a "CRASH" course. There a serious ramifications for failing..
    OK Hopeak - that's the third time you have offered to train me. Let's see....you were a professional hunting guide for a number of years, bush pilot (with a very nice pre-flight checklist). OK - I can learn. Where do I sign up?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash, need I remind you his outhouse has NO door? (he's uncivilized!). Think about what you are exposing yourself too!! (I would say that was a little pun but then I'd be insulting you.)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It's not what I'm exposing myself to, but rather whom that should be of concern.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

The course is open to anyone with lots of money. Here is how it works, any time of the year, someone buys a aircraft, I fly them into the wilderness, or bush as we call it, I crash the plane, I am skilled at this. For a few extra dollars I will break the survival seekers leg, smash the ELT. And the thrilling, exhilarating, survival school opens.

I am still working on the advanced course.......Maybe crashing through the ice something I have only done once, well OK, twice, but I was the passenger the second time, so I did not get any crash credit. The aircraft sinks with all the gear, and we are wet, but it is a toasty 24* above. This course would only be "FUN" for WarEagle....

Never mind......I was thinking it would rely more heavily on your pre-flight check list.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ralbert,

Check your sarcasm and your ego at the door. There is no place for them here and they aren't welcome.

You came on to this forum with a plan, asking for help, but gave almost no information as to your preparations and you got called on it.
    Instead of going "oops" and giving a more detailed disclosure like any serious person would do, you got your nose out of joint, and resorted to "bulls**t sarcasm"

Grow up!!!

Do you think that the people here have this site just because they get their jollies flaming newbies like you and me?

You got called on it because the amount of information you gave indicated that you hadn't really thought things through,
    and the folks here didn't want to hear of you through a news story about you being found dead in the bush because you weren't prepared.
    Belaboring the point, if you had included more information in your initial post, you would not have gotten the reception that you did.

A lot of people on here have acquired a lifetime worth of knowledge and you need to have respect for that.
    If you sincerely came on here with the desire to tap the knowledge base that these people have, then you should have given
    a detailed disclosure of your plans and preparations in the first place.

Now get off your soapbox, and give a detailed assessment of what skills you have attained so far.
    You mentioned that you've been reading survival books (which ones?) and searching on the internet.

Have you taken any first aid training?

Are you working on a kit?

Give these people a detailed assessment of where you are right now so that they can help you,
    let them know with as much detail as you can, where you want your skill and knowledge level to be a year from now.
    Ask for advice and HEED that advice.
    Get some dirt time like everyone's been telling you to. Start slow, start small and build up to what you are planning to do.

DON'T BE A FOOL, INSTEAD BECOME A SERIOUS STUDENT OF WHAT THESE PEOPLE CAN OFFER YOU.
    I'm not regretting it, and nor will you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralbert View Post
    Well thank you for that nice little flaming metaphor there Remy. Did we stumble into an angry survival elitist cult here? Because if we did, we’re sorry, we didn’t mean to register on a forum where people are more interested in discouraging rather than actually giving helpful advice.
    I see people using referrals like Rambo... which is odd, because I clearly remember saying we’re dedicated to learn everything and got a whole year to prepare. I’ve never seen Rambo prepare anything longer than 5 minutes nor have backup.

It’s understandable you guys try to prevent newbies from going into the woods with nothing more than scented toilet paper and an electric shaver.

I guess hearing to many doom scenario’s of people going unprepared makes you think everyone new has an IQ of below freezing point. To be honest, it’s quite insulting.

Yeah, it’s probably the camo T-shirt thing... I know someone who likes to collect stamps. Could you psychoanalyze that hobby for me too?

Ok, so there’s no perfect place? But there is a “way better” and “sucky” category? Wow, got it!
    Maybe, just maybe when I asked for a good location, or “that magical place” as you’ve so elegantly put it... I wasn’t asking for an actual perfect place but suggestions for locations which have the highest density of “way better” places and as little “sucky” ones as possible.

Please, enough with the “oh my god, you’ll die there you idiot” bandwagon flaming. The type of place we have in mind with the equipment we’ll bring is nowhere near the approximate vicinity of hazardous.

Thank you davef,well said.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Okay, now I get it. You're coming in through RIPE out of Amsterdam. One of the many we've banned from there along the way. I should have checked your IP sooner. I'm done with you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

So this guy isn't serious? Well if not, when another new forum member gets his/her nose out of joint because they didn't like the answers we can always reference this thread I guess.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Angry I thought so!

It's always the same pattern. The Newbie jumps in with a stupid question without a proper intro & asks for advice, then severely criticizes those that advise & ignores requests for further info. They also stay away most of the time. Brother Wolves, we're being played!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

No big deal Sarge. Posts like his just reinforce why we ask the questions and give the advice that we do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sarge,

Has anyone given thought to putting a mandatory lurking period into affect
    for new members?

The reason that I ask, is that I've seen this mandatory period used on
    another list that I'm on.
    That list, requires new members to lurk for at least a month after joining, just
    to get the feel of the place, before being allowed to even make an
    introductory post and an introductory post is mandatory before a new
    user is allowed to make regular posts.

I don't know how the mechanics of this forum work, so I don't know if it's
    feasible, but I know that I would be willing to go into lurk mode for a month
    on this forum in order to join.
    There is so much material here that most of my time so far has been spent reading posts.

Just my $.02
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    It's always the same pattern. The Newbie jumps in with a stupid question without a proper intro & asks for advice, then severely criticizes those that advise & ignores requests for further info. They also stay away most of the time. Brother Wolves, we're being played!

I think that a we have hit the point that it is a major issue to go out into the backcountry without setting up the proper experience. Honestly, the best place to study survival [I]technique[I] is in your own backyard. One of the best ways to learn about a specific aspect of bushcraft is to have ample supplies, for instance various different types of wood for learning how to build a bow-and-drill, without the stress of an actual or staged survival situation.

One major aspect of survival that has been overlooked in the previous conversations is the aspect of the psychological side of survival. When one is first getting started in survival situations the hardest part can be just sleeping outside, on the ground, in the dark-without a light. The creepy crawlies and the bogeyman (also known as rabbits and raccoons) can be the most challenging part even to a seasoned survival 'expert.' Becoming comfortable with how you react in these situations should be one of your first priorities.

Don't forget there is a major difference between a survival situation, which usually averages about 24-72 hours, and primitive living techniques. Finding out which one you are most interested in may dictate what reading you will want to purchase. May I recommend Cody Lundin's "98.6 Degrees: How to keep your *** alive." If you are like most in this circuit you will find that you want to know both, so I would recommend learn first to start a fire with matches then learn to start one with sticks...

Usually when someone gives a certain advice people don’t repeat the exact same advice over and over, yet in this topic, basically the only subject is the grim reaper. Interesting as it may be, it’s not. (first one to make a comment about “death is serious” gets a cookie)
    Maybe I shouldn’t have used the word ‘survival’ as this word can only be used by an elite, apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Okay, now I get it. You're coming in through RIPE out of Amsterdam. One of the many we've banned from there along the way. I should have checked your IP sooner. I'm done with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Has anyone given thought to putting a mandatory lurking period into affect for new members?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    It's always the same pattern. {...} Brother Wolves, we're being played!
    One of Many? Lurking period? Pattern!?

Oh thank god, so it’s not just me you’ve scared away with hostile, flaming “advice” basically saying “we’re elites and you’re an idiot” or what are the disguise words this forum loves using? Ah yes wolf and numpty!
    To be honest I was quite shocked of the responses. Being negative over an idea is one thing but this forum goes well beyond that line and apparently this isn’t the first time.
    In retrospect I’m not surprised.

Thanks for the private messages though, they were a bit more civilized.
    - Ralbert

Seems that some on the forum have caused you to become upset. I suppose that happens on forums just as it does in real life. All of the acrymony could have been easily avoided (an I believe still can be if you are willing) by helping us help you by answering the questions that have been posed. If you are in Amsterdam and aren't inclined to spend thousands in travel then me recommending that the mountains of Colorado or British Columbia are probably not going to help you in what you are seeking. If you would prefer harsh winter conditions, then suggesting the Everglades in South Florida will not fit the bill.

Entering an new environment - I don't care if it's a party across town, and internet forum, or the wilderness - you have to be willing to exchange ideas and information in order to thrive. It's a two way street, not a one way. You seem to focus on the posts that upset you rather than the posts trying to assist you. So if you are serious - there will still be many that are willing to help -even those that you appear less than fond of. It's your call.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh thank god, so it’s not just me you’ve scared away with . . .
    Well, not yet it seems. But, hey, go ahead on out there and read you some stories and checklists and go play survival with your girlfriend. I'll offer nothing but encouragement in your venture from here on out.

Mean old message forums are way scarier than anything Mother Nature can do to you. Here's a book for ya:

http://www.amazon.com/Man-vs-Wild-Te...0440230&sr=8-1

Man vs. Wild: Survival Techniques from the Most Dangerous Places on Earth (Hardcover) It has pictures!

Hey guys, thanks for your replies!
    We'll give some more information about ourselves as requested.

As for our actual field experience; little to none. At the moment we're reading "Ray Mears - Bushcraft" and "Collin Gem's - SAS Survival Guide". Any suggestions about other reading material (books or on the tripple double U is appreciated.

As for a more detailed discription of what we want to do:

a) Setting up camp. Crafting a shelter, fireplace, reflector and such. We will be bringing along a tent but only to sleep in and it will be away from the cooking/daytime shelter area.
    b) Aprox length of the survival trip will be 2-3 weeks (in one spot) depending on how well we're doing.
    c) We want to learn the bushcraft skills overall with as little outside help as possible when they are not absolutely needed. A few examples of our 'rules list':

- No lighter/matches, flint/magnesium stick and firebow as replacements.
    - We will be bringing some cooking equipment as it is pretty vital to boil water and be able to make dinner in. At the moment we're not absoultely sure one how much of this equipment is needed though.
    - We will of course have some emergency items in the car parked quite some distance away, like a phone, lighter, flashlight, food, etc... but the goal of the trip is to not use it or we've 'failed our mission'.
    - No/little outside food. Rice as stomach filling mostly, maybe some vitamine pills 'just in case' but most of the actual food has to be available. Living of the land is an important thing of survival in our opinion. Fishing and gathering fruits shouldn't be a big problem but actually catching wildlife without experience is probably a stretch? Still, we are thinking about following bow training and bring one along. Also; trapping is an interresting part to learn in our opinion aswell. The big question here is: is it viable to get meat by means of bow and arrow and traps without actual wilderness experience?

We hope this gives you guys some more information to answer our questions.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ralbert

PS: We know following a survival/bushcraft training before our trip is the smart thing to do. However, it's also less exciting to go somewhere when you know it will be a cakewalk once you get there... We believe (/hope) detailed knowledge of all the theory (with some practice @home) should be enough to prepare us for the trip.
    Dude,you have already failed your mission,if you can't answer a few simple civil questions on a forum without getting your shorts twisted in a knot,how the heck are you gonna make it in the wilderness? there are many situations there where there is no second chances,unlike here where the members are willing to help,IF you will listen and answer basic questions.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Feel better now that your little rant is out of the way? You're shocked? Because we asked you some questions that you still haven't bothered to answer? Too bad. And if you had actually read my post you would have noticed I said "banned" not "scared off". They did the same thing you are trying to do. They came on here with only the intention of causing problems.

You need to make a decision. You can either continue to try and disrupt the forum, in which case you will also be banned in short order, or you can try to take a bit more off an adult approach and try answering a few of the questions that you've been asked. The ball is in your court. But, as Nell said, if you can't survive a forum you sure won't survive in the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is he really from Holland, Rick? All the Dutch Americans I have met were very practical and level-headed. Things must be different across the pond. Or perhaps it's the "big city mentality" of Amsterdam (and endemic to American big cities). Their parents gave them everything so they didn't have to work for anything.

Blog Entries

Hey Amsterdam Boy,
    I tried to help you and you blasted me and my friends. So if you won't answer the few questions then I'm done. I was actually nice in the postings I did, rare thing for me to do to a numpty (yeah your a frig'n numpty), I'll help anyone out, from new here to wilderness experts if I can (no I'm no wilderness expert by a long shot but I can handle my own out there) but the next time someone asks you a simple question like what location are you in answer it (read Crash's post #57) and if you aren't thick skinned enough on this lil forum then I would hate to see ya in the woods, the only stupid question is the one not asked... but the answer may not be what you like if the question has not been completely given. So Amsterdam, got alot of good wilderness around there, but you can figure it out on your own, just let the SAR people know.
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.