Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit

Default Rabbit

Whats the best way to hunt and prepare rabbit? Is there any point in saving the skin? If so, whats the best way to preserve the hide without chemicals?
    ~T
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

I've always hunted with a 12 gauge shotgun using beagles. I've never tried to save the fur although I've seen a lot of bunny fur stuff. The fur seems pretty loose to me. You can pull the hair out pretty easily.

You can also split a stick about 8-10 inches and insert a small twig to hold the stick open slightly. If you can catch a rabbit down a hole then you can slide the stick in beside him and slowly rotate the stick. It will wrap the rabbit's fur up in the stick and you can pull the rabbit out of the hole. Of course, once you do that you have a really pi**ed off bunny to deal with. I've only seen it done once and I think he picked the only deranged, killer rabbit in the county. The rabbit was fine until it came out of the hole and then it was killer fur on a stick.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The rabbit was fine until it came out of the hole and then it was killer fur on a stick.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

rabbit pelts are a pain to proccess, as they are thin skinned and as rick mentioned, the fur comes out easily.

on the other hand, they are extremely soft and warm so it's a question of your levels of patience and free time.

best way to prepare them is tricky. any method you might cook a chicken is good for rabbit. if you try to dry heat cook them [oven bake, etc] you will want to use cotton twine/string to tie the limbs in close against the body, or they will dry out.

you can cut them into frier pieces like you would a chicken [remove the rear legs by cutting around the hip and twisting to pop the femur from the pelvis, remove the front limbs by using he same procedure around the shoulder, cut the torso into two halves by cutting the ribs on one side along the spine].
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I've always hunted with a 12 gauge shotgun using beagles.
    I would have never thought about that. But I guess - once the beagle clears the barrel he's upset enough, with the powder burn on his butt, that when he gets to the rabbit he's got to take it out on something.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

oh! i had it *way* wrong. i've been giving the beagles he shotgun.

i mean sure; the dogs make a good haul, but with that gun in their paws, it's heck getting them to turn them over afterward.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Actually......the beagle just grabs the rabbit as he flies by.

I don't think I've had them any way but fried or in a stew. I don't think I've ever tried it baked.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Actually......the beagle just grabs the rabbit as he flies by.

I don't think I've had them any way but fried or in a stew. I don't think I've ever tried it baked.
    I've never had beagle. (Fried, stewed, or baked.)
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

Seriously? They are really easy to skin. You stand on their hind feet and gently pull their ears and the hide comes right off. Here's a pic of Lyndon Johnson demonstrating how to do it.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dumb2kwit View Post
    I've never had beagle. (Fried, stewed, or baked.)
    They're pretty good with cream cheese. Oh wait - you said beagle. - never mind.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldnt recommend tanning a rabbit pelt into a fur. as mentioned the hair comes out quite readily and will get everywhere. rather scrape the hair and grain off and make buckskin of it. "no chemicals" means use brains, but dont bother with a frame, just hand soften it. it is so thin you will only do a couple hours work.
    they make excellent gloves and undergarments, very soft. If you do manage to keep the fur on, they are also very warm undergarments; keep in mind that furs require pickling (opposite of bucking). headwear and handbags come to mind also. cut into strips, they make fine cordage and thongs for various crafts and tying.
    as far as hunting, I generally use a .22 and only take headshots (I'm a bit OCD about skins).
    I cook them like squirrels, salt and pepper, butterflied, with bacon wrapped around and seared/fried on a hot rock. mmm mmm good!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

See? Someone else mentioned a thong!

Rick.....a rabbit fur thong.......I think I just threw up, a little.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

I have a picture....just sayin'.

I was going to take this course in wilderness survival and weapons until I read through the course work and saw that we'd be working with slings and thongs. Now that just ain't right.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have a picture....just sayin'.

I'd throw up.....a lot.
    Writer of wrongs.
    "Stop Global Whining"

But it really is soft. It sort of tickles when it rides up a bit.

That would be a whole new lever of strange. I would need a LOT of rabbits lol.
    As far as the bunny stick.. a scene from the movie Labrynth comes to mind...
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

The stick method is not legal here. You can't use a ferret or other animals to shoo them out of their hole and the law terms it "other means".

We used to just reach in and pull em outta their holes, with gloves. I think rabbit is one of the tastiest wild games, but, after reading this thread I've lost my appetite.