Thread: What's your favorite fly....

Blog Entries

Cool What's your favorite fly....

So fly fishers, what's your favorite fly, wet or dry, for different species of fish? I hear good things about the Woolly Bugger and the Chernobyl Ant; any thoughts?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

For bass I use a fly that I kind of invented, it is kind of like a wooly bugger but it has a strip of (rabbit hair I think) on the hide about 3/16" thick. I like popper flies, mine are all bought except for one I made by melting a plastic wine cork into shape and then cutting a groove and gluing in a hook. For bluegill I like a Royal Coachman, Green Caddis Variant, or a foam water spider.

A good book I have on flies is the "Fly Pattern Encyclopedia" it has just about every pattern out there. I guess the main thing to picking a fly is matching a pattern to what they are eating when you are fishing. Bass and sunfish aren't as picky as trout so they are easier to please, when I was trout fishing in Colorado I had good luck with the Green Caddis Variant.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Wooly Bugger hands down for both fresh and salt water

Blog Entries

Cool Copy that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
    Wooly Bugger hands down for both fresh and salt water
    That's what I hear. Mischief, why not check out the "Flyboys" group I created for us Fly fishermen and tiers! Jus click onto my profile page and scroll down a bit, then click on the title!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

I like the wooly bugger for small mouths in a river where there aren't a lot of rocks. For an all around fly, I really enjoy a muddler minnow, weighted for fishing a little deep as a streamer but quite hard to cast, and not weighted, in faster running water fished dry then wet on the retrieve just after the swing of the drift. Tip

My favorite fly for saltwater is the crystal shrimp,and freshwater is the wollybugger for sure,all of which can be tied with a mono weedguard.

I used to use a variety -- wet, dry and nymphs. Now I only use a basic white or silver streamer. Here in Colorado that's good for most of the trout in my area. It will also work on the bass and perch in the lakes. I can use the streamers with either my fly rod or my little back pack spinning rod (or, for that matter, no rod at all, just a length of line).

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    That's what I hear. Mischief, why not check out the "Flyboys" group I created for us Fly fishermen and tiers! Jus click onto my profile page and scroll down a bit, then click on the title!
    I would join if I could find it

Blog Entries

Cool O.K.

Quote Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
    I would join if I could find it
    Sending you an invite.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

And I thought the choices would be zipper or button. Oh well, nevermind.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Have to be the " Bunny Leach", tied with black and orange rabbit fur. This thing has great action, drives fish nuts.

I enjoyed tying the Adams when I first started, but I don't have much patients for following patterns. Often I watch to see what the trout are eating, take a few samples home and start tying a replica of whatever I bring home. I love catching a mayfly and trying to make a replica of it. Talking about it is giving me the urge to tie a few... going to load up the vice today I think lol

I can't see well enough any more to ty those small patterns. Anything smaller that a # 14 hook and I'm in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by postman View Post
    I can't see well enough any more to ty those small patterns. Anything smaller that a # 14 hook and I'm in trouble.
    What type of fish do you ty for Postman? One of many things I love about Ontario is the monster pike and Muskie... I have only been fly fishing for about a year so last time I was in Ontario I never knew what I was missing. I might go down for a week of fly fishing this year.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    So fly fishers, what's your favorite fly, wet or dry, for different species of fish? I hear good things about the Woolly Bugger and the Chernobyl Ant; any thoughts?

As I said in another thread my favorite is a nymph called a "While Gloved Howdy".
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum. Sorry pic won't load Google it

I free line these and have terrific luck. I also use any small black nymph in an unconvetional methos which I won't share because it works that well and I may need this some day to survive.
    Last edited by Blade; 01-16-2013 at 04:02 PM.

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would have to say the "Bead-Head Pheasant Tail Nymph" is a great fly for most small to mid-size fish.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

flies 001.jpg

flies 002.jpg

flies 004.jpg

flies 005.jpg

flies 007.jpg

Tied a few yesterday... takes the edge off winter.
    "If you're seeking to survive in the wilderness then good gear will get you to the last 10%. Training and practice are needed for the 90%."

"If you can see smoke comin from your neighbor's chimney, your too close to your neighbor and its time to move on" - My Grandfather

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psalm25 View Post
    flies 001.jpg

flies 002.jpg

flies 004.jpg

flies 005.jpg

flies 007.jpg

Tied a few yesterday... takes the edge off winter.
    Nice set of pictures and some nice flies. That's what I'm saying, tying flies is a great way to enjoy the sport despite the fact it's snowing or cold outside. Come Spring you're ready to go!

Thanks Blade. I can't wait for the sea run trout to start... I'm driving myself nuts with excitement for spring to arrive!

I've acouple go to flies...Pheasent tail flashback ...Copper john...sz.18...20 on the beaverhead. Ray Charles sz.18 on the Big Horn....The dry's are also very small para Adams .... Pale Morning Dun and Blue wing Olives....I don't throw streamers much but wooly buggers or a leach pattern have worked for me..Have used foam hoppers as well as trad. hoppers. Like the foam best if I'm running a "dropper". JMHO
    The Man with the best Horses and Dogs is the Man who uses them the Most !.....Wiley Carroll..........