Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Multi-use items!

bands for projectile weopons, tourniquet, drinking/suctioning/syphoning tubing, elastic tiedowns for tensioning, trap manufacture
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I remember using surgical tubing to carry water underpressure, as a kid. We'd take a ball point pin, with the ink cartridge out, and place one end into the tubing and the other to a faucet. It would fill like a sausage, with the water. Lots of fun to squirt other kids with.

Canid had a lot of great tips, tourniquets and drinking tubes are my two most favorite uses. Along the lines of surgical tubing...rubber gloves:

For a cut finger or to do some digging under the skin, where there might be blood, you can cut off one finger of the glove and the tip of this finger before placing on the person's finger. Then roll the latex "condom" down the finger, so that it produces a tourniquet effect at the finger's base, making a bloodless field.

A seal/barrier device can be made by placing the glove and middle finger into the patient's mouth, with a slit cut into the bottom of the middle finger of the glove. This acts as a "one way device" for preventing fluid exchange when the rescuer breathes into the part of the glove that the hand normally goes into.

Plus, a tourniquet and a few of the things mentioned above, for surgical tubing. Great thread, by the way!

Happy new year!

Cool ideas AD. Two more tricks I learned today. Pretty good for old dog. By the way, I like the avatar. Doh!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Question MRE's Survival possibilities!

OK, I know that there's some of you who don't care for the Military MREs, but what can you find in the MRE package that helps in a Survival situation BESIDES the obvious Food & drink?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Okay. I'll start.

Plastic bags for carrying water.
    cardboard for fire
    the flameless heater for heat
    You can capture the hydrogen produced by the heater for a homemade bomb
    sugar can be used for fire
    creamer can be used for fire
    If you carry permanganate you can mix it with the sugar. Kaboom!
    Matches for fire
    Sharpen one end of the spoon for expedient weapon
    Hot sauce = pepper spray
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Yea Rick!

I figured you'd be up to it! Here's something I noticed! 1st, the book of matches are moisture resistant, as they resist dampness. 2nd there is a small pack of toilet paper/paper toweling that would make a good fire starter. Also the newer MREs contain a clear plastic bag for mixing hot drinks, which means they are strong and would make a good water carrier. Finally, some of them have a "wet-wipe" which would be good for cleaning small wounds. MREs, they're not just for "breakfast" any more!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default Rick is on fire!

Very good info Rick! Thanks! I had not thought of many of those. You mentioned permanganate and I have heard of this for a fire starter, antibiotic, water purifier. Where does one buy this? Anybody got a source?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Cool Here ya go!

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureDoc View Post
    Very good info Rick! Thanks! I had not thought of many of those. You mentioned permanganate and I have heard of this for a fire starter, antibiotic, water purifier. Where does one buy this? Anybody got a source?

Thanks!
    I found it on e-bay Doc!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

E-bay!?! That's what I get for thinking too much and looking in obscure shops! An embarassed thank-you!

What's next?
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

Dental Floss is next!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

- as thread for sewing
    - stitching a wound
    - fishing line
    - clean teeth
    - emergency shoelaces, use several laid together.
    Last edited by mbarnatl; 01-02-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: forgot one
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

We had a long thread on this awhile back, that's where i got the info. Here's the post address:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...read.php?t=491

Check it out!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

British MREs have a range card on there side. You can use the puri tabs to help with cuts.
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

lashing
    tent/tarp tiedown
    make a net
    clothes line
    make cord for bow n drill
    shelter construction
    snares

fire starter
    snowshoe bindings
    temporarily replace a lost screw in eyeglasses
    expedient snow glasses (with foil or cardboard)

Hmmm. You always seem to get me thinking, Tony. That's a dangerous thing. The Tobasco sauce contains red peppers, vinegar and salt. Peppers contain capsaicinoids, which the plant uses to protect itself against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Soooo, could you use a splash of tobasco on a cut as a field expedient antibiotic? That burns like heck just thinking about it but if it saves an infection?!......
    Last edited by Rick; 01-02-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: mispell

@Sarge: You need to add this to the multi-use thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Hmmm. You always seem to get me thinking, Tony. That's a dangerous thing. The Tobasco sauce contains red peppers, vinegar and salt. Peppers contain capsaicinoids, which the plant uses to protect itself against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Soooo, could you use a splash of tobasco on a cut as a field expedient antibiotic? That burns like heck just thinking about it but if it saves an infection?!......
    Honey has anti-bacterial properties, if you get a pack with honey in it you could try that

read This Rick

http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/stor...per_facts.html

Peppers In Medicine
    This is a fascinating aspect of the chile pepper. There are several uses for capsaicin in the field of medicine--some on the market and some in the research stages. Pain relief, especially for arthritis and joint pain, is the most common usage right now. Many creams for pain relief now contain capsaicin. The depletion of substance P in the nerves help to reduce nagging pain. Another medical use, amazingly enough, is in the treatment of ulcers. Since the discovery of the bacteria, Helicobacter pylori, as the primary cause of ulcers, antibiotics have been the common treatment. Chile peppers have natural antibiotic properties. As well, they stimulate the mucosa of the stomach. Quite a switch from the old ideas of avoiding spicy foods!
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

Aha! Who'd a thunk it? Great link and good idea on the honey. I'll bet that wouldn't sting nearly as bad as the tobasco.